RAV4 vs Outlander - Dingle232

I am looking to buy a good sized SUV to replace a Honda CRV that I have recently had nothing but issues with (long story which I will not bore you with).

In looking at a few options I like the respective merits of the RAV4 and am pretty familiar, and comfortable with, Toyotas having owned a few of them. The one I am looking at is Invincible spec, 2.2 Auto, 14 plate with 17k on the clock, FSH and looks a nice car. Drives well.

The other option is one I don't know much about but that took me by surprise really in terms of its spec, size and practicality is the Outlander. Again its a 2.2 D-ID Auto, GX4 spec, with, if anything, a slightly nicer set of options than the RAV4 with sunroof etc which are nice to haves but not deal makers on their own. 14 plate and 19k miles with FSH.

Reviews on both cars seem to be favourable but wondered if there was anything about either (and particularly the Mitsubishi as I don't know them) to be wary of or that makes one significantly better than the other?

Having read extensively both seem to have very reliable engines and appear to be vehicles that will last as long as they are maintained correctly, There's no issue with that as I am fastidious with servicing and do an interim oil change at 6k myself so I'd expect long life from them.

I do around 17k miles a year mainly motorway with weekly return trips to Cumbria from Manchester so no likely issues with DPFs etc (I hope).

The draw with the RAV is the remaining warranty and I have always found Toyota dealers to be generally good and helpful. I do have a local Mitsubish dealer but have never dealt with them.

So, any experience or thoughts on them?

Thanks in advance and enjoy the weekend.

RAV4 vs Outlander - RobJP

I know a few people with RAV4s, all seem perfectly happy.

A local Vet practice (rural, lots of farm work) supplies Outlanders to all their vets for their on-call work, and they seem to last quite well with the battering they must take. Manual gearboxes though, no idea on the auto.

Thanks Rob. I have also heard only good things about both vehicles.

Much as I like the Toyota the interior (dash etc) of it does my head in and the Mitsi is a nicer place to be. However I can't afford another mistake purchase like the CRV turned out to be.

However your comment reassures me a bit. Does the Outlander have a Mitsubishi engine in it or are they supplied by someone else?

Any other comments really welcome.

RAV4 vs Outlander - brum

If I were making this decision then I would be researching the price and availability of parts (suspension, brakes, sensors etc) aftermarket and original to get a feel for cost of ownership long term. I say this as the only person I knew who had a Mitsubishi found the parts eye wateringly expensive and extremely difficult to source.

Toyota have the edge based on reputation for reliability.

RAV4 vs Outlander - Maxime.

If I were making this decision then I would be researching the price and availability of parts (suspension, brakes, sensors etc) aftermarket and original to get a feel for cost of ownership long term. I say this as the only person I knew who had a Mitsubishi found the parts eye wateringly expensive and extremely difficult to source.

I agree with this. once I got rid of my captiva, the replacement was a toyota, very satisfied with dealer service after GM dealers. Only minor probem was sotrted for me without any hassle as previously experienced. Never ever going near a GM product again!

Ironic as I have been doing just that today and I would agree with you - that's enough to put me off the Outlander to be honest.

However, completey by accident when I was at the Mitsubishi dealers, I have also stumbled upon a very nice low mileage (old shape) X Trail today - I assume that they would compare favourably with the RAV?

Thanks for the help so far.

RAV4 vs Outlander - brum

Nissan xtrail not in same league for reliability and resale value.

Only consider if much cheaper than RAV4

Nissan xtrail not in same league for reliability and resale value.

Only consider if much cheaper than RAV4

That's clear enough thank you as I don't know much about them. I plan to buy the RAV when the DVLA sends me the V5 for my current car. It's been 5 weeks and I have made a second application which they say will take another 4 to process. They really are the most unhelpful organisation.
RAV4 vs Outlander - focussed
"They really are the most unhelpful organisation."

They march to the beat of their own drum.

"They really are the most unhelpful organisation."

They march to the beat of their own drum.

To be honest they are a disgrace in terms of customer service. I have tried to explain to them that I have a genuine issue and asked if there is any way of escalating my issue.

No.

I then asked if I can speak to a Manager or Supervisor.

No.

Is there anyway I can make another application for a V5 and pay to have it fast tracked.

No.

Is there ANYTHING I can do to try and ascertain what has happened to two applications and try and remedy the situation?

No.

I am now completely stuck with a car I don't want. I can't sell it, I can't trade it in and there's nothing I can do about it because of their sheer ineptitude.

Maddening.

RAV4 vs Outlander - gordonbennet

Only ever owned one Mitsi, it was an Outlander 1, in petrol/LPG flavour, it was a good car overall, drove well.

The only dealings with the main dealer were disappointing, they hadn't a clue how to cure some odd running issues which my LPG chap sorted the old way in no time at all.

That model suffered severe headlight lens crazing, reading up on the net it was normal for the model and the maker was no help whatsoever once out of warranty, compare with how Toyota react with long extended warranties when they've made something not up to par, headlights were around £350 a side IIRC, other parts similarly expensive.

Whilst good cars i wouldn't be in hurry to buy another Mitsi for the dealer experience alone, has anyone ever been into a cheerful Mitsi dealer by the way.

Funny you should say that - I was in one of their dealers today and they were grumpy sods :-).

I think I'll pass on the Mitsi and go with the Toyota - it's what I know and I must admit I have a very strong affinity with them despite them not being the most aesthetically pleasing. They just work (I hope!).