- Quietest Supermini/ City Car? - Smallcarbig
I am looking for a new/ nearly new small 4 or 5 door car which is quiet on Motorways and A roads. At the moment I have a 2009 Hyundai i20 and am happy with its practicality ,reliability and its performance is enough for me. I find though that My ears are rather sensitive to noise and would like a car where I can listen to spoken radio and podcasts at a low volume on long journeys
Any suggestions? Alternatively is it possible to have soundproofing fitted , tyres changed or other measures

Edited by Smallcarbig on 30/07/2016 at 23:06

- Quietest Supermini/ City Car? - TheBroker
On the sound proofing front, this is possible with products such as Brown Bread (if still made) which is also used to reduce panel vibration in cars with big stereo setups.

Otherwise you need to be looking at a heavier built car, Audi/merc/BMW as they tend to have more sound proofing as std.

Tyres can make a big diff, check the db rating on yours and then see how they are compared to market leaders to see if worth investigating.

- Quietest Supermini/ City Car? - Bolt
I think you may be better off looking at the system you have, ie, soundproofing may not get rid/lower wind noise, (depending on what speed you do) but some speakers are better than the standard ones for different sounds

Might I suggest looking at replacing your sound system as some speakers are better than others for the spoken radio rather than certain types of music, you have to check out the sound yourself to know what's best but I think that would be the best way to go rather than changing car or fitting sound proofing, though soundproofing would help

Just a thought anyway
- Quietest Supermini/ City Car? - corax
Road noise is usually the worst culprit, especially in small cars.

As noted above, tyres can make a big difference, and they'll get noisier as they wear out.

Soundproofing can also transform a small car but only if done properly using the right materials and it can be quite involved, needing trim, seats, carpets removing. The materials that work best are also heavy, so they can add significantly to the weight of the car. I'm afraid I don't know of a company that could do this.

I found that VW Polo's are quiet for a small car, but I can understand that you would appreciate the reliability of the Hyundai.

- Quietest Supermini/ City Car? - madf

A hybrid or electric car will be quietest around town. Period.
- Quietest Supermini/ City Car? - gordonbennet
As Corax says, it takes a bit of time and effort but you can make a substantial impact on road noise by doing some soundprooofing.

If you care to perform a search on this site, i started a thread i believe titled ''Soundproofing'' a couple of years ago about this very subject which several posters here chipped in on with handy suggestions.
- Quietest Supermini/ City Car? - Metropolis.
Fit a lot of Dynamat or similar plus expanding soundproof foams for hard to access places but careful not to apply this around wiring etc. Thick matting is also available.You will need to take out seats,carpet, headlining and the plastic trim around doors. If you really want to do it properly take the dashboard out and apply soundproofing to the firewall. I don't think you should change the car, the one you have is very good. A decent amount of soundproofing as mentioned will sort it.
- Quietest Supermini/ City Car? - Tester

I don't know about that i20 but we had a first-generation i10 that was pretty good, now replaced with a current-model i10 that is a lot quieter than the original - no problems with conversation or radio at motorway speeds. I appreciate your point about being senstive to noise but I'd certainly suggest having a look at a second-generation i10 (or the new i20 if you want something a bit bigger).

To my mind the Continental tyres that came with the i10 are quite noisy - probably the main source of interior noise since the engine and wind effects are very civilized, especially for a small car - and I'll replace them with Michelin Energy or Cross Climate when the time comes, to get further noise reduction.

- Quietest Supermini/ City Car? - RickyBoy

Concur re: the new i10. An absolutely brilliant little out & about 'city' car.

Ours came fitted with Goodyear DuraGrip's (175/65/R14).

Can't say I notice any undue road-noise, even @ 75/80mph on a d/c or m/way.

I too initially liked the look of the i20 but decided that I could get away with the 'smallness' of the i10 1.2 Premium – which is also extremely generously appointed with 'enhancements'.

7-months old now with just over 2,000 on the clock but I love it to bits. Spends most of the week doing local runs but I like to use it for an occasional 100-mile round trip on the odd w/end to keep it 'healthy'!

Have an A3 Sportback for longer journeys/larger payloads, tc.

Cheers...

- Quietest Supermini/ City Car? - daveyjp

Renault Twingo or smart forfour are quieter than most as the engine is in the rear.

- Quietest Supermini/ City Car? - corax

Concur re: the new i10. An absolutely brilliant little out & about 'city' car.

I've heard that they have a good ride too.

- Quietest Supermini/ City Car? - Tester

Yes, they do. A huge improvement over the first-generation i10, which it has to be said could bounce around like an old cart! Our new one cannot compete for ride comfort with my old Citroen C5 on its Hydractive suspension but is still impressive for a little 'un. I can't offer many comparisons as I don't drive too many different types of car; all I can say is that empirically it's very good (I also find the seats very supportive for my size and shape -- 5 ft 8 in, just under 11 stones) and we make trips of 200+ miles without any problems.

- Quietest Supermini/ City Car? - Freda2378

Yes, they do. A huge improvement over the first-generation i10, which it has to be said could bounce around like an old cart! Our new one cannot compete for ride comfort with my old Citroen C5 on its Hydractive suspension but is still impressive for a little 'un. I can't offer many comparisons as I don't drive too many different types of car; all I can say is that empirically it's very good (I also find the seats very supportive for my size and shape -- 5 ft 8 in, just under 11 stones) and we make trips of 200+ miles without any problems.

I appreciate your point about being senstive to noise but I'd certainly suggest having a look at a second-generation i10 (or the new i20 if you want something a bit bigger).

To my mind the Continental tyres that came with the i10 are quite noisy - probably the main source of interior noise since the engine and wind effects are very civilized, especially for a small car - and I'll replace them with Michelin Energy or Cross Climate when the time comes, to get further noise reduction.

(LInk deleted)

Edited by Avant on 22/03/2019 at 13:56

- Quietest Supermini/ City Car? - Engineer Andy

I appreciate your point about being senstive to noise but I'd certainly suggest having a look at a second-generation i10 (or the new i20 if you want something a bit bigger).

Nice way to spam us Freda all by adding in a link to someone else's previous post. Do you think we're that stupid and naive to fall for that?

- Quietest Supermini/ City Car? - kiss (keep it simple)

Quick fix for road noise, stick a duvet in the boot.

- Quietest Supermini/ City Car? - SLO76
Best thing to do would be to get out test driving. Superminis are very refined these days but you need to see what is acceptable to you. I find my Polo very relaxed at speed but it’s certainly noisy when idling.