n/a - Driverless cars - UK government consultation. - focussed
www.gov.uk/government/news/new-measures-to-help-br...y

Two paragraphs from the blurb -

"Advanced driver assistance systems and ‘self-driving’ technologies will transform travel helping deliver safer, smoother and smarter road journeys"

"The driver’s insurer will still pay out in the normal way so road accident victims are promptly reimbursed – but the insurer will then be able to claim the money back from the car company if the vehicle is deemed to be at fault"

I'm not too confident about all this enthusiasm about driverless cars - the biggest snag as far as I can see would be that they have to share the roads with the cars that have unpredictable human drivers, and cope with their various antics, as we do now.

n/a - Driverless cars - UK government consultation. - Avant
Moved to Motoring, hopefully to elicit comments.
n/a - Driverless cars - UK government consultation. - madf

I wonder how driverless cars will cope with single track roads with passing spaces?

I use one every weekend for beekeeping. Occasionally a 100 meter reverse is needed when the car in front cannot or will not reverse..

Edited by madf on 24/07/2016 at 07:43

n/a - Driverless cars - UK government consultation. - NARU
I wonder how driverless cars will cope with single track roads with passing spaces? I use one every weekend for beekeeping. Occasionally a 100 meter reverse is needed when the car in front cannot or will not reverse..

Poorly today, for sure - but when we get to a world where the majority are driverless (and non-driverless cars have additional aids) - I'm sure one of the cars will wait until the other has gone through. Lots to solve. But we can choose to be at the vanguard, or to be luddites. Once we reach the tipping point, and the majority are driverless, we'll (hopefully) have many fewer road deaths. We should also be able to abolish traffic lights - the cars can communicate with each other to work out the best flow. I'm sure the hard part is the transition - when we have a mix of driverless and driven cars.

Edited by Marlot on 24/07/2016 at 10:16

We'll look back in 30 years and wonder what all the fuss was about.

Cars spend 95%+ of their time just sitting there, clogging up our towns and cities. Especially roads which simply cannot take any more parked cars. Imagine a future where parked cars are a rarity, and we get our communities back!

I look forward to the day when I can either send my car out to work for the day, or (more likely), I just summons a driverless car when I need it. If I only need two seats one day, I might get a convertible. But if I need 10 then a minibus appears.

The world of work is about to go through another revolution.

Edited by Marlot on 24/07/2016 at 10:14

n/a - Driverless cars - UK government consultation. - Wackyracer
I read an article a little while ago about the Google cars and they said most accidents they were involved in was when cars driven by humans had driven into them while they were waiting at red traffic lights. The drivers of those cars often never reported the accident too. The few times the Google cars were in fault accidents they were being manually driven by Google employees.

At least when we go entirely self driven (maybe not in my lifetime) it will cure the mexican wave braking on motorways which should maintain a constant flow of traffic rather the start stop tailbacks we suffer from people driving too close together and responding to a brake light ahead by stamping on their own brakes immediately.

Imagine being able to send your car home for the day, while your at work and summon it back when you wish?
n/a - Driverless cars - UK government consultation. - Ethan Edwards
Thought we already had pilotless cars. On the A12 Friday nr Borham white c class lane swapping undertaking and all without looking or any indication. Surely no intelligence involved in that natural or artificial. I personally put it down to the poor chap and his mum never knowing who his father was.
n/a - Driverless cars - UK government consultation. - Bolt
Imagine being able to send your car home for the day, while your at work and summon it back when you wish?

Unless they are all electric by then it will cost twice the fuel bill sending the car back and forth, but I wonder how many will like the idea of being driven about rather than controlling the car yourself, I don't, and most I have spoken to think the same

we are going too far with tech IMO
Interesting article about the changes we'll be seeing over the next few years...

www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/bank-of-england/119917...l

Edited by Marlot on 25/07/2016 at 22:35

Interesting article about the changes we'll be seeing over the next few years... www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/bank-of-england/119917...l

I think a lot of people have seen this coming and probably sooner than we think. as manufacturing has gone over to robots there is no reason with current tech supermarkets cant do the same, though I like the idea of robots doing my boring shopping, I really don't fancy being driven home by one however good they are I suspect it wont be long before they will be designing our new cars as well

Edited by bolt on 26/07/2016 at 00:00

n/a - Driverless cars - UK government consultation. - Wackyracer
I did see an article about self driving car trials in Sweden (I think it was) and they said that the technology one perfected would be utilised to operate fork lift trucks in 24 hour warehouses. based on 8 hour shifts that would be 3 jobs lost per fork truck.
I did see an article about self driving car trials in Sweden (I think it was) and they said that the technology one perfected would be utilised to operate fork lift trucks in 24 hour warehouses. based on 8 hour shifts that would be 3 jobs lost per fork truck.

Already in operation in some warehouses, I think VAG use them in their warehouses, all programed from a central office. I wonder if the film Terminator may be closer to the truth than we realise after the Americans reckon to have self thinking robot soldiers in 2 years, makes you think!

Edited by bolt on 26/07/2016 at 00:33

n/a - Driverless cars - UK government consultation. - nailit

Hmmm,

The government etc will be out of pocket then, as all the money making sorry -safety cameras will be redundant, surely they are aware. I wonder how they will slow down this particular future development?

Re. accidents, the courts will be busy for years trying sort the legalities, interesting times as they say.

Hmmm,

The government etc will be out of pocket then, as all the money making sorry -safety cameras will be redundant, surely they are aware. I wonder how they will slow down this particular future development?

Re. accidents, the courts will be busy for years trying sort the legalities, interesting times as they say.

I read the safety cameras would be usefull to control cars on the motorways if any problems occur that the on board computers doesnt know about (unlikely)

also the insurance apparently is automatic in any accident (in the autocars favour) someone please correct if wrong?