Honda CR-V 2014 Petrol Automatic - Brake squeal and grind noise - michaelkumar

I bought and now have had my Petrol 2014 automatic Honda CR-V for two weeks. But I've now noticed the brakes are making a grinding and squeal noise when I'm braking, the car has 18500 miles

I just wondered if anyone has had this experience.? I've booked it in at a Honda dealer to have a look at. But wanted to know if the grind noise was normal for the CR-V?

Look forward to your replies.

Honda CR-V 2014 Petrol Automatic - Brake squeal and grind noise - FP

Grinding and squealing noises strongly suggest badly worn brake pads - possibly down to the metal, which would mean new discs and pads.

If you bought the car from a dealer two weeks ago I'd be looking for some sort of redress. If it's a private sale, forget it.

Edited by FP on 15/07/2016 at 10:07

Honda CR-V 2014 Petrol Automatic - Brake squeal and grind noise - Ethan Edwards

Have you looked to see how much pad is left on your Brake pads (most probably the front ones)? Any brake related warning messages on the dash?

Your probably have none or very little pad materiel left and are grinding steel pad back to steel brake disc.

Expect to be asked to buy new pads and disks about 400 quid or so.

and No it's definitely NOT normal for any vehicle to make a ginding noise when you brake.

Get it looked at today.

It was bought from a car dealer (not Honda) and they checked and serviced the car before I bought it. I'm taking it back to them, to get it checked. I am not sure what or where to look for disc wear. I sound like I'm a bit dim in this!

Thanks for the advice.

I forgot to mention there are no dashboard lights to indicate there is anything the matter.

Honda CR-V 2014 Petrol Automatic - Brake squeal and grind noise - daveyjp
Rather than dash indicators some cars have pads which squeal when they are low, check your handbook. Then get a torch and have a look through the wheel. Or jack it up and remove a wheel and see how much pad is left. Repair is down to the dealer.
Now checked and the Honda CRV has the noisy brakes system as a warning.
Honda CR-V 2014 Petrol Automatic - Brake squeal and grind noise - brum
Now checked and the Honda CRV has the noisy brakes system as a warning.

???Are you sure??? Ive never heard of a brake warning system that squeals!

IF the pads are worn out, I suggest the OP check the history of this car very carefully. 18500 for completely worn OE pads means either the car has had EXTREMELY hard use age, or that it is clocked (more likely). Either way, alarm bells should start ringing....

Honda CR-V 2014 Petrol Automatic - Brake squeal and grind noise - RT

"Acoustic brake pad warning device" - on Vauxhalls it sounds like a tuning fork, increasing in pitch and volume as speed increases.

It's very effective in "forcing" you to get them replaced !

Thanks all. This forum is invaluable. I found this site and I will be checking my manual to see what it says about this. I hope my Honda CR-V is not clocked I trust the dealer to some extend on this.

www.howdyhonda.com/blog/how-to-identify-brake-prob.../

Honda CR-V 2014 Petrol Automatic - Brake squeal and grind noise - madf

"???Are you sure??? Ive never heard of a brake warning system that squeals!"

I heard of it in the 1990s.. Rover 800s.. worn front pads at 15k miles...

Not exactly a modern invention.

Honda CR-V 2014 Petrol Automatic - Brake squeal and grind noise - galileo

"???Are you sure??? Ive never heard of a brake warning system that squeals!"

I heard of it in the 1990s.. Rover 800s.. worn front pads at 15k miles...

Not exactly a modern invention.

At 47000 miles I heard an occasional tinny squeak when turning (not when braking). Checking I found a telltale metal strip bonded into the pad which was touching the disc as bearing play allowed the disc to move a few thou. This was with 2 or 3 mm of lining, I had new pads all round anyway.

This method of warning of pad wear must be cheaper and more reliable than the wire through the friction material and a warning light on the dash which used to be common.

My B class had the dash warning system. When the pads were changed it also needed new wiring.
Update!

I took the car back to the dealer I bought from they told me they took all the wheels off and found that is was dust that caused the squeak noise.

I'll be picking it up later today and see if they really have fixed the issue by cleaning the braking system! or not.

The brakes were deglazed and this seems to have resolved the issue. There is still, however, a slight gingling sound but I get this checked by the Honda dealer where I'll have it serviced in a few months time.