Citroen Grand C4 Picasso - Grand C4 picasso - going forwards in reverse gear? - Fido214

Hi,

Bought a 2008 Grand C4 just over a week ago and twice I've had an issue with reverse gear. Both times, I've selected reverse and all's been well, but then have had to move forward and reverse again and the car's gone forward?!

First time I thought possibly user error as I'd just driven it home from the garage, but when it happened at the weekend my other half was with me and we could both see it was definitely in reverse gear. It's not even rolling forwards, it actually pulled forward like it was in 1st. Took my foot off the clutch and selected reverse again and it was fine?!

Please tell me I'm not just being a girl?! It seems like a totally random thing for it to be doing - not something I've heard of before. My friend said "it might just be something that model does"?!?! Surely not - bit dangerous to be pulling foward when you think you're about to go backwards!!

Does anyone have any kind of advice?! Tell me I've not bought a lemon....!

Thank you

Citroen Grand C4 Picasso - Grand C4 picasso - going forwards in reverse gear? - Railroad.

Where is reverse gear when moving the gearstick? Is it to the left and up, next to first gear? If so are you sure you're crossing the gate? If not then it's probably an adjustment required on the cables. Has the car been involved in an RTA and had work done, which could also be the cause.

If reverse is anywhere else than left and up it could be that the problem is inside the gearbox, and more specifically the reverse idler gear inside which could be failing to engage.

Citroen Grand C4 Picasso - Grand C4 picasso - going forwards in reverse gear? - elekie&a/c doctor
Is this an auto shift with the gear lever on the steering column?
Citroen Grand C4 Picasso - Grand C4 picasso - going forwards in reverse gear? - Fido214

Thank you. Really appreciate your help.

1st gear is to the right and down (so below 5th). The gear stick is not on the steering column. As far as I know it's not been involved in an RTC, or at least not that the garage told me when I bought it.

Either way, it sounds like it needs to be looked at. Is this likely to be covered under the warranty I was given, does anyone know?

Citroen Grand C4 Picasso - Grand C4 picasso - going forwards in reverse gear? - Peter D

Re-read you post carefully. Something is wrong. Regards Peter

Ooops oh yes! REVERSE gear is to the right and down :)

Citroen Grand C4 Picasso - Grand C4 picasso - going forwards in reverse gear? - Peter D

Have you read the manual. Regards Peter

Do you not have to lift the ring on the gear stick to gat into reverse. Regards Peter

Citroen Grand C4 Picasso - Grand C4 picasso - going forwards in reverse gear? - Shaun198026
Hi can I ask did you get a conclusion to this has I’ve just bought the C4 and it’s doin* the same thing.
Citroen Grand C4 Picasso - Grand C4 picasso - going forwards in reverse gear? - John Olswang

Same problem here cannot safely get out of tight places.

Citroen Grand C4 Picasso - Grand C4 picasso - going forwards in reverse gear? - hardway

Manual yes?

Has the Gbox oil been checked?

If so I'd suggest changing it.

Not really that expensive it's only 2 litres.