Volkswagen Polo - "Shock absorber" advisory advice, used car - FiestaMan01
Hi all,
I am considering buying a 2002 Volkswagen Polo, automatic 1.4. There is no rust anywhere on the vehicle, the engine bay is very tidy, test drive seemed okay, although I think I noticed a slight knocking noise.
I looked up the previous MOT history, and the only recent advisories that concerned me are as follows:

nearside front Shock absorber has a light misting of oil (2.7.3)
offside front Shock absorber has a light misting of oil (2.7.3)

I wonder if this related to the knocking noise I could hear. Does anyone have experience with this advisory? The car is going for around £1000, so not expensive, but I don't want to be replacing shock absorbers on day one.
Any thoughts? Advice?
Thanks.

Edited by FiestaMan01 on 25/06/2016 at 16:46

Volkswagen Polo - "Shock absorber" advisory advice, used car - elekie&a/c doctor

Possibly not related to the knocking noise.Info on Mot test here;mot-testing.i-env.net/documents/manuals/m4s0200070...m

Volkswagen Polo - "Shock absorber" advisory advice, used car - Cyd

Shocks can knock, but those advisories are nothing to do with that. They basically say that both front shocks are leaking. I'm surprised they didn't fail rather than be an advisory. This is the sort of thing that doesn't get better on it's own, so it will be needing new shocks sooner rather than later.

If you are replacing the fronts you should also replace the rears as this will affect the stability of your car, especially in corners and could easily lead to a spin.

A full set of something like Monroe standards, shouldn't be more than about £150 I would guess (I got Monroe Reflex from Premier Factors in Walsall for my Saab for about £170 - standards for a Polo will be much cheaper). About £100 should cover fitting at a small independant garage.

I wouldn't dismiss a good car just for shocks. Like brake discs and clutches, shocks are a consumable and rarely last the life of the car. Socks are easy to change and cheap enough to buy.

We bought an 03 Polo 1.2 for our 18 yr old son and have had it a year now. It's a decent enough car and should suit him to take away to uni.

Edited by Cyd on 25/06/2016 at 21:04

Volkswagen Polo - "Shock absorber" advisory advice, used car - bathtub tom

They're advisories, not fails. In my experience this sort of thing can crop up at random on the same car for a number of years before the shocks need replacing. It's a sliding metal tube going through an oil seal, a little leakage can be expected.

I'd certainly not advocate changing all four at a time. Front as a pair, or rears certainly, but on a car that age it's quite possible one pair's already been replaced and may be quite new.

I'd suspect the 'knocking' (presumably over bumps) is more likely to be rubber bushes.

Both the 'knocking' and the advisories should certainly be used to beat the price down.

Edited by bathtub tom on 25/06/2016 at 21:12

Volkswagen Polo - "Shock absorber" advisory advice, used car - madf

If the shocks still work, clean the outside of dirt, spray with cleaning fluid, then water. The result should remove the mist - which has taken years to build up

Volkswagen Polo - "Shock absorber" advisory advice, used car - Big John

First port of call with a slight front end knock are the antiroll bar bushes

Nothing to do with the knock but check when the cam belts/pulleys/water pump were last changed. Should be every four years/40k on this engine as the plastic pullys/tensioners can fail outside of this.

They can be prone to burning oil because of under use - the oil breather blocks up blowing oil past valve seals (either in air filter housing or breather module on the back of the engine ) - easy fix thouigh

I have a 2001 Octavia with this engine that is still going strong at 120k miles - doesn't burn any oil! Fairly economical for an old-tech engine (43mpg on a run)

Edited by Big John on 26/06/2016 at 00:05