Used Car Typical Discounts - galwayman

Hi.

I am new to the Uk so forgive me if this is a silly question but...

Would you typically expect to get much (if any) of a discount on an advertised dealer price of a used car?

In my own home country there is generally room for manouevre on the price advertised but I'm not sure if this is the case in the Uk also?

Have been looking at a few cars advertised at around the £1200-12900 mark and wondering if there would be any room for negotiation on these prices.

Cheers

Used Car Typical Discounts - RobJP

I'm not sure if you mean £12000-12900, or 1200 to 1290.

As to discount, yes, there usually is room to move. But it all depends on the car, how long they've had it in stock, and numerous other factors.

For example at this time of year, convertibles make full price. If you don't buy it, someone else probably will, so why drop the price.

Conversely, big 4*4s do really well in November / December. Especially if the weather is pretty bad. Nothing like snow and ice for pushing the prices up.

If you go via motors.co.uk, there is (or used to be) a part on the page where you can see how long a car has been for sale. Again, something that's been sitting on the front for a long time they're going to be more willing to move on the price.

Thanks for your reply. Sorry I meant £12000 to £12900.

I'm pretty sure the car I am looking at has been for sale for over a year (it is an s line audi a4 advertised at £12900).

Which makes me wonder if there is something wrong with it maybe.

I guess I'm just trying to work out realistically what I could buy the car for - having not previously bought in the uk before.

Ahh, yes, I had seen that other post too.

Just bear in mind that Audi's 'S-line' suspension is basically made out of rocks a few years ago. With all the give and comfort that you'd expect. Especially if it's got big wheels

So much so that they've introduced the option to delete the 'sporty' suspension from more modern S-line vehicles.

Also, if it's a petrol, then they've got a habit of burning lots of expensive oil. And if a diesel then they need the VAG recall at some point. And if it's an auto then the DSG gearbox is made of cardboard, and expensive to fix. And it'll most likely have a cambelt, which needs changing every 4 years (oh look, it's a 4 year old car ...) at a cost of £700-£1000 (make sure the waterpump is changed at the same time).

Still interested in it at all ?

Hmmm plenty of potential issues then.
forgive my ignorance here (I'm not too knowledgeable about cars tbh)
but would I not have the same potential issues with any used car?
Or are the Audis particularly prone to these expensive repair jobs?
Thanks for the reply by the way.
It's appreciated

If you want to learn pitfalls and pluses, then you really should spend some time on the 'reviews' section of the site.

Every car has a 'what's good / bad' section on there. Here's the one for the A4 (2008-2015) model :

www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/audi/a4-b8-2008/?sec...d

That's a very short 'good' list, and one hell of a long 'bad' list !

Used Car Typical Discounts - Falkirk Bairn

How long has car been for sale?

www.gov.uk - type road tax & you will get when the car tax finished & MoT status.

It seems to be for sale for over a year.
Road tax expired last June.
It was MOT'd in April this year.
Used Car Typical Discounts - TheBroker

Looking at your post, you may want to consider leasing a new car. You will be covered under a warranty for the period of time you have it and the amount you spend over the term is usually less than the depreciation and repair expenses of a used vehicle (depending on age and cost of course). So if you are looking at a car for around £12,000 that could end up needing another £2,000+ of work done to it over its life with you (assuming the auto box doesnt go bank costing you well over £4k), plus depreciation over that time you could end up spending £6K+ on the vehicle as a minimum which broken down over 3 years could mean you have a reasonable amount to spend on leasing a new hassle free car plus you get to keep the £12k in the bank.

Drop me a PM if you would like some more info