Audi A3 - Driver's window jammed down - FoxyJukebox
esterday-in drenching rain-went to supermarket with the Mrs…..took a ticket as we went in the car park—and guess what—the blinking front drivers window of my Audi stuck DOWN and would not go up……grrrrr….grrrrr....

Wife went into shop—whilst i grappled with the options….I looked up on You Tube what to do if car window does not RAISE!….there were several options—but the one that sort of worked for me was...

1) Hold on to the pull up switch—then slam the front door HARD at the same time….there was a crunching horrible sound—but it raised again—THANKFULLY,since i was getting wet.
2) Took it later to local garage where it is booked in nxt week for a new winding up mechanism-behind the front door. Meanwhile wife and I must remember not to lower the front window ‘cos it won’t raise again!

Nice friendly mechanic said—"these window mechanisms are "always breaking on Golfs and Audi’s…..I guess it’s inevitable that what with taking tickets in car parks and adjusting/ the wing mirrors etc they get a lot of use….."

Thank God I got the wretched window to raise —since a parked car with a window which won’t raise is effectively a tasty find for a thief and is thus a vehicle which is immobile…

And thank you YouTube for video “help” options.
Is it only Golfs/Audis that have this window weak spot?

Audi A3 - Driver's window jammed down - SteVee

I had a Seat Ibiza which had at least two driver's door window mechanisms. I replaced one myself - it was not a great piece of engineering.

Audi A3 - Driver's window jammed down - Avant

Another example, sadly, of where the money goes on Audis. The other end of the spectrum would be Toyota, whose interiors look less glamorous but whose window mechanisms will last the car's lifetime.

Right--got this properly fixed now. One week later after ordering part and booking vehcle in,garage attempted a cheaper after market window regulator-but it didn't work-thus a £92 Audi version was used. Total bill £290 inc labour. Not exactly delighted to have to pay so much for such a simple accessory which should have lasted the life the car and when it did fail had the potential to totally imobilise. What makes me especially annoyed is that if i had been initially unable to raise the wretched stuck window in the supermarket car park-i would have had to leave the car at a garage for a week or until repair could be done.Ridiculous.

Note to all motor manufacturers-especially Audi's clever german engineers-Would have been quite happy if car had manual wind up window handles-surely most sensible people are perfectly capable of occasionally using a small amount of physical energy!

Audi A3 - Driver's window jammed down - brum

Note to all motor manufacturers-especially Audi's clever german engineers-Would have been quite happy if car had manual wind up window handles-surely most sensible people are perfectly capable of occasionally using a small amount of physical energy!

Except the manual version is exactly the same, with a handle where the motor goes. Reliant on bits of string and plastic guides and pulleys made in some far away country.

Audi A3 - Driver's window jammed down - elekie&a/c doctor

From experience,I would say Vag group are probably #1 for failed window and central locking electrics/mechanism.Later model TT from around 2008 reign supreme at the moment.The cable drive system just rots away into a rusty pile in the bottom of the door.In second place,the award goes to the Renault megane/scenic models..Btw,non genuine window regulators never work correctly in late Vag models.Lucky its not an Audi A5.If a window reg fails on one of these,very often both sides have to be replaced,as the new unit is not compatible with the electrics on the other door.Job is nearly a £grand to fix. Long may it continue.

Disgusting!-Next time this happens-I will force the window up --and just leave it shut permanently. rely on air vents for fresh air etc.

I wonder though if I could get used to getting out of the car to collect parking tickets rather than risk another stinking bill!

Audi A3 - Driver's window jammed down - SteVee

That's exactly what I did my old ibiza when the window lifter failed again - I jammed a paint roller handle under the glass and it stayed that way until I 'scrapped' the car, due to rust,

I loved the story about the A5 windows ...

Audi A3 - Driver's window jammed down - bazza

And still they buy them in droves......!

Audi A3 - Driver's window jammed down - b80

Had same issue in our 2008 tt - now sold. Heard from several people it's a weakness with tts