Towbar Cycle Carrier - weight limit? - Dingle232

I have a Volvo V40 and need to find a way to transport 2 electric bikes (combined weight 50kg) around at weekends. Roof bars, and also lifting them, are not a solution as the bikes are too heavy and the car is too small to take both bikes in the back.

So looks like the only solution I have is a towbar carrier and I have never used one before. I believe that, weight wise, the carriers can handle it but I am just more bothered if the car itself is big enough as I normally see these things hitched up to the back of estates and AWD's rather than mid sized hatchbacks.

Anyone used one on a similar sized vehicle without issues?

I'd also probably be using a towbar with a detachable end to it and, again, never used one of theseso any views as to how robust they are would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Towbar Cycle Carrier - weight limit? - RobJP

I'd suggest checking your owner's handbook initially. That should tell you the max noseweight of any towbar / equipment on your vehicle.

Towbar Cycle Carrier - weight limit? - brum

Isn't the idea to ride the bikes rather than have the bikes ride you?

And what with the electric bit, you'll never get fit on one of those.

;)

Sorry if my initial question was a little unclear. The towing weight for the car based on the manufacturer's guide is well within the limit. It's more a question of 2 big bikes and a carrier on the back of a small car and whether that gives any issues really.

Most of the cars I see them attached to are much bigger/wider so that there is sufficient width in the car to avoid the carrier being much wider.

As for electric bikes - they do 'elp on them 'ills :-)

Towbar Cycle Carrier - weight limit? - Brit_in_Germany

One idea is to strip the bikes of as much weight as possible before loading them on the carrier, in particular the heavy batteries. The electrical contacts should then be masked off with tape to stop them getting covered with muck.

Towbar Cycle Carrier - weight limit? - NARU

Most V40s seem to have a 75Kg towball limit, so you should be fine.

Make sure the bike rack has a number plate and lights, and you should be fine.

Towbar Cycle Carrier - weight limit? - RT

The towing limit is irrelevant - it's the car's noseweight limit that will restrict you.

Some towbar carriers permit the use of the towball for towing at the same time, but in that case the total weight of carrier, load and trailer noseweight must not exceed the noseweight limit.

Towbar Cycle Carrier - weight limit? - bazza

A small bike trailer might be more practical and generally easier. There are plenty around. Or even strapping them into a 5 x 3 would work.

I have a tow bar carrier in the garage, which used to work fine, the worst problem being you can't get into the boot with it fixed on. And you need a trailerboard of course. A trailer is far easier. Your V40, which isn't that small really is it (!!) will easily tow it. I towed a camping trailer thousands of miles in FRance with a 1.6 petrol, fully laden car as well.

Ah - the rear weight vs noseweight is actually one of the things I was concerned about actually as these electric bikes are pretty heavy beasts.

I was actually thinking whether there's a car I could get both of them in the back easily enough as there's a bit of me that can't be bothered with all the faffing about hitching/unhitching it.

The Octavia looks pretty sizeable in the back and I wonder if that's big enough with the front wheels removed from both bikes?

Failing that I guess it's back to SUV/4x4 territory - does anyone ever carry 2 bikes in the back of a car? The weight in the rear is less of an issue but the room to do so is.

Not long ago I was actually looking at an SUV type vehicle but t'other half was pretty insistent that I get the V40 particularly on the basis that I got a great deal - I haven't quite fallen in love with it but it's 'ok'. I wonder if she'll be as keen on it when my bike is in the back and she's riding hers behind me?

:-)

Towbar Cycle Carrier - weight limit? - Avant

"The Octavia looks pretty sizeable in the back and I wonder if that's big enough with the front wheels removed from both bikes."

Unless electric bikes are much longer than ordinary push-bikes, you might well get two of them into an Octavia estate with the front wheels at 90 degrees, without having to remove them altogether. If I'm wrong, they'd certainly go into a Superb estate, and almost certainly into a Mondeo estate.

Towbar Cycle Carrier - weight limit? - ifekas

If you're carrying heavy bicycles, you will probably find a removable towbar unsuitable; this is because the weight that you can carry (downwards load) can be quite low; on my last car I had a removable Westfalia towbar, and I worked out that I could only carry three bicycles once I had worked out the weight of my Thule cycle rack and the bikes, and even then it was virtually on the limit - the rack is surprisingly heavy!

I only found out about this limitation after I had the towbar fitted; but for this reason on my current car I have a non-removable Witter towbar which gives me more flexibility, though you would need to workout the total weight of the bikes and the cycle carrier to ensure that everything is within the acceptable range.

Having tried different cycle carriers, I would generally opt for a towbar mounted one, mainly due to the ease of mounting, but also fuel economy.

Fixed towbar vs removable makes no difference - the towbars weigh about the same - the car's "noseweight limit" is the critical factor, which needs to be enough to cover the bike carrier and the bikes.

If the car has a screw-in towing eye both sides, not all do, then it's possible to make a frame which bolts in there.

To be honest I suspected this may be the case before I started and am now absolutely kicking myself for downsizing recently. The towbar option seems fraught with both physical/safety restrictions.

Since this afternoon I have been checking out some of the load capacities of the vehicles I may have to look at and some are surprising. I must admit I am not in a hurry to get another estate car and if I have to bite the bullet then one of the following looks most likely:

My car capacity (seats down) - 1032 litres

Octavia Hatch - 1580

Mondeo - 1630

VW Tiguan - 1510

Volvo XC60 - 1455

Skoda Yeti - 1780 (seats out) 1580 (seats folded)

I would have considered something that looks as big as an XC60 would have had more as that was probably likely to be near the top of my list.

I guess the only estate I may consider would be the E Class if I can find a nice one a couple of years old. The C Class and 3 series are much of a muchness size wise.

Don't discount 2WD versions of soft-roaders - their increased interior height and more vertical tailgate may help accomodate bikes.

Towbar Cycle Carrier - weight limit? - Bromptonaut

A reference point:

With one of three seats removed two mountain bikes go easily on our current shape Berlingo. Handlebars need to be turned ninety degrees and bikes stow upright fore/aft in alternating directions with pedals twiddled to interlock. A couple of bungees through the frames to the boot floor keep everything in place. With a suitable allen key stowed in the car the bar turning is a cinch.

A bit of experimenting with different permutations of which side and in what direction bikes are stowed is worthwhile. Ours work best on drivers side with first bike facing rearwards and second forwards. Keeps chains inside the package and makes best use of cabin space. YMMV.

Almost possible in the Roomster but needs front wheels off and some more experiemtation with permutations.

A reference point:

With one of three seats removed two mountain bikes go easily on our current shape Berlingo. Handlebars need to be turned ninety degrees and bikes stow upright fore/aft in alternating directions with pedals twiddled to interlock. A couple of bungees through the frames to the boot floor keep everything in place. With a suitable allen key stowed in the car the bar turning is a cinch.

A bit of experimenting with different permutations of which side and in what direction bikes are stowed is worthwhile. Ours work best on drivers side with first bike facing rearwards and second forwards. Keeps chains inside the package and makes best use of cabin space. YMMV.

Almost possible in the Roomster but needs front wheels off and some more experiemtation with permutations.

Thank you that's good to know. I actually quite like the Citroens but, for reasons known only to her, I think I'd have a job on convincing SWMBO. Still, it's a good ppoint to start the argument on. :-)

Don't discount 2WD versions of soft-roaders - their increased interior height and more vertical tailgate may help accomodate bikes.

Hmm I hadn't thought of that and am not particularly insistent that it's AWD - that's a 'nice to have' but not essential for me.

Were you thinking about ant one in particular?

Hmm I hadn't thought of that and am not particularly insistent that it's AWD - that's a 'nice to have' but not essential for me.

Were you thinking about ant one in particular?

No-one specifically, I currently need a larger 4wd SUV but know that the mid-size SUV/CUV are still spacious and cheaper to buy/run.

Towbar Cycle Carrier - weight limit? - Cyd

Roof bars, and also lifting them, are not a solution as the bikes are too heavy

Don't be so sure about that. Mine and my son's machines are MTBs with suspension, mine is a shade under 13Kg and his about 15Kg. His friend has a down hill bike which weighs in at a mighty 22Kg. I use Thule 532 carriers on roof bars on my Saab 9-3. Even with a recently seperated shoulder (AC joint dislocation - a permanent injury) I can lift the bikes on and off quite easily. Use your knees and squat down getting a good grip on the bike before using your legs to do the lifting.
As suggested, remove the battery packs to shed a little weight for carrying. And if two of you can lift the bikes between you, even better.

I used to carry the bikes inside the car with the back seat down and the front wheels removed. If you are thinking of a hatch like the Octavia, then I suggest you seriously consider how lifting these bikes in and out will affect your back as you will have to lean in with them and they are quite heavy at about 25Kg. Provided the car isn't too high, I find the roof solution far superior.

My manager at work goes mountain biking and kite surfing. He carries a lot of kit. His weapon of choice is a Mondeo estate. They are cavernous. There's a lot of cyclists here and with few exceptions the only people who use tow bar mounted carriers are those with 4x4 vehicles. Those who choose to drive cars (which is most of those who aren't eligable for company cars) carry on the roof.

Towbar Cycle Carrier - weight limit? - Stumblebum

I've switched from carrying bikes on the roof to carrying them on the a tow bar carrier prefer the tow barapproach.

Personally I find putting on or taking off three MTB's on a towbar a lot easier than putting three MTB's on the roof as you don't have the faff of repositioning the middle bike on the roof before putting on the outer bike.

Also some car parks have height restrictors, even ones in the country side.

Generally speaking I prefer driving with the bikes on the towbar rather than on the roof (less noise, less adverse affect on handling), apart from when I need to reverse.

I'm referring to normal not electric MTB's though. I don't think I'd trust my towbar carrier with three electric bikes.

Edited by Stumblebum on 01/06/2016 at 13:15

Stumble makes a good point about the weight limit of the carrier. Even a Thule 9502 has a limit of 30Kg as a 2 bike carrier - not enough.

And the Thule 532s I use are rated to 17Kg each and even the 598 is rated to 20Kg. I have one 598 and 3 532s - the 598 is used for the downhill bike because it won't fit on the 532s. The 598 copes admirably with it's hefty 22Kg - rock solid.

Personally I'd trust [branded, strong] roof carriers before I'd trust a tow bar carrier. I regularly carry 4 bikes and would say I'm at the car's stated roof limit of 75Kg (which I think is a legal limit rather than anything to do with the strength of the car - the 9-3 has a very strong roof structure). No wind noise, no stability problems (in fact the car barely notices the bikes, excep at the pumps and anyway you wouldn't be taking the bikes out if it was blowing a gale, lol!!) and cycle places like Sherwood Pines and Cannock Chase deliberately don't have height restrictors for that reason.

Personally I'd trust [branded, strong] roof carriers before I'd trust a tow bar carrier. I regularly carry 4 bikes and would say I'm at the car's stated roof limit of 75Kg (which I think is a legal limit rather than anything to do with the strength of the car - the 9-3 has a very strong roof structure). No wind noise, no stability problems (in fact the car barely notices the bikes, excep at the pumps and anyway you wouldn't be taking the bikes out if it was blowing a gale, lol!!) and cycle places like Sherwood Pines and Cannock Chase deliberately don't have height restrictors for that reason.

I don't know if there is a legal limit on roof load, but if there is it's higher than 75kg - mine have been 100kg for a long time, including Vauxhall Cavalier - so I'm surprised the Saab is down at 75kg as it's based on the Opel/Vauxhall structure.

Now I'm home I've checked and you're correct RT. The Saab itself is rated to 100Kg and it's the bars that rate at 75Kg.

My bars are not Thule, but I would get Thule if I were buying again. They are definately more substantial than most. Although I've had no problems fully loaded.

The V40 has a roof limit of 75kg so that would be fine; more so with the batteries removed. I 'think' though that the Thule aero bar limit is a lot less than that and the 591 cycle carriers we use certainly are.

Point taken about lifting bikes in and out of a vehicle - good point. However there would be two of us at any one time and I figure that with the front wheels removed and the bikes both positioned carefully then that 'should' be a better solution?

Others' experience is always valuable.

Towbar Cycle Carrier - weight limit? - Bromptonaut

With an ordinary estate or hatch and the lower/mid market full size bikes I own my preference is to put them on the roof. Our old BX and Xantia estates would take four bikes up top using Halfords 'value' carriers fitting to Thule transverse roof bars. As with loading inside the Berlingo bikes faced alternately fore and aft. Took a bit of experimentation to determine a loading pattern that avoided saddle/handlebar conflicts and my saddle had to be dropped to it's lowest position to go under bars of next but one bike. As above, lifting needed a thought through tehnique but not too diffiult. The citroen's ability to 'kneel' via the ride height lever was useful though.

Plenty weight margin on the BX with roof limit of 100kg, a whisker under the Xantia's 75kg.

Could have got them on a mk1 Berlingo if I carried a step but the current one is a bridge too far.

Towbar Cycle Carrier - weight limit? - slkfanboy

Buy a brompton and put it in the boot!

Even with two of you there'll be plenty of leaning in with the bikes. At least that's what I found even with my son helping. And we were lifting in 13kG bikes - not 22Kg!

Also there's a danger of trim damage, which is likely to play havoc with resale value, especially if you damage the headlining with a brake lever.

I have just checked out the spec for the volvo and the website states that the unbraked towing limit id 750 kg.

Reference the 'nose weight' comment earlier does this allay this? The combined weight of the bikes is c 50kg and a towball mounted carrier wouldn't weigh 700kg I guess?

I have never towed anything before so sorry if it's a daft question - I am just desperately trying to avoid having to change cars just to transport 2 bikes.

Thanks for the help so far.

Towbar Cycle Carrier - weight limit? - drd63

If it's any comfort I used to carry a 100kg motorbike on a tow bar mounted rack, plenty of trials/mx riders still do. Was with a 1.8 Mondeo with a boot full of kit and all worked fine. 2 electric bikes should be no problem at all.

Probably illegal on a Mondeo!

Most cars have two towing limits - the higher limit for braked trailer and lower limit for unbraked trailers - the lower limit is restricted to 750 kg or half the car's kerbweight whichever is lower.

Noseweight limit is the maximum weight that can be applied to the towball, typically 60-90 kg - this is the relevant figure in the OP's case - the weight of the towbar doesn't reduce that figure but the weight of any carrier attached to the towball/towbar has to be taken into account as well as the load on the carrier.

Probably illegal on a Mondeo!

Most cars have two towing limits - the higher limit for braked trailer and lower limit for unbraked trailers - the lower limit is restricted to 750 kg or half the car's kerbweight whichever is lower.

Noseweight limit is the maximum weight that can be applied to the towball, typically 60-90 kg - this is the relevant figure in the OP's case - the weight of the towbar doesn't reduce that figure but the weight of any carrier attached to the towball/towbar has to be taken into account as well as the load on the carrier.

RT - the only information I can find in the manual is 'Maximum Towball Load' quoted at 75kg - would this be what you are referring to?

If so I would have to weigh up (no pun intended) the combined weight of bikes and carrier. My feeling is I'd be pretty close to the limit.

If that's not the correct figure I'll give Volvo a buzz.

Towbar Cycle Carrier - weight limit? - cocorico

I have a Witter Towbar cycle carrier.

It says:-

· Maximum payload – 60kg

· Maximum weight per cycle - 17kg

· Unladen weight - 20.0kg

I can carry up to 4 adult bikes with this carrier.

In your case, the issue may well be the length of your electric bike.

Is the length of your bike wider than your car(inc. wing mirror) ?

I have a Witter Towbar cycle carrier.

It says:-

· Maximum payload – 60kg

· Maximum weight per cycle - 17kg

· Unladen weight - 20.0kg

I can carry up to 4 adult bikes with this carrier.

In your case, the issue may well be the length of your electric bike.

Is the length of your bike wider than your car(inc. wing mirror) ?

There are Thule carriers that will take bikes up to a combined weight of 50kg so the carrier capacity is nt really an issue. It's the combined weight of carrier+bikes vs nose weight limit I need to suss out.

I have a feeling that I may be pushing the limit somewhat in my car.

Towbar Cycle Carrier - weight limit? - cocorico

My Citroen C4 Picasso brochure says Max Tow Hitch Download 70kg, is this the limit ?

Is “Max Tow Hitch Download” the same as “Maximum Towball Load” ?

Witter’s guide:-

http://www.witter-towbars.co.uk/towbars/faq6.php

RT - the only information I can find in the manual is 'Maximum Towball Load' quoted at 75kg - would this be what you are referring to?

If so I would have to weigh up (no pun intended) the combined weight of bikes and carrier. My feeling is I'd be pretty close to the limit.

That's exactly the information you need

Ok great so we have a capacity of 75kg with

2 x bikes at 18.9 kg each with batteries removd - 37.8kg

Weight of Thule carrier - 12.5 kg

Total - 50.3kg

So I 'should' be ok?

Thanks again for all the help.

Ok great so we have a capacity of 75kg with

2 x bikes at 18.9 kg each with batteries removd - 37.8kg

Weight of Thule carrier - 12.5 kg

Total - 50.3kg

So I 'should' be ok?

Thanks again for all the help.

You should be OK now.

Next thing - if the bikes obscure the number plate or any of the rear lights, you'll need a "trailer board" which you can attach an extra rear number plate and plug it in to the trailer socket and attached to the bikes.