FIAT Punto - Buying a 12 year old car - Happy Blue!

Have found a 2004 Fiat Punto 3dr Active for my son who has passed his test. The car appears to be a one-owner car with only 10,500 miles. MoT till November. Buying it for £500. Actually heard the car run last night and had a proper look (it is a bona vacantia case in which my firm acts for the Duchy of Lancaster) so got a mate to drive it to my house on his trade plates before he took it to his garage.

The car is very clean inside (I reckon the back seats have never been sat on) and the engine is remarkably smooth. Having all the fluids replaced, filters, plugs included and brakes given a thorough check over. It appears to be rust free and everything works! Slight leak on the head breather pipe which will be replaced.

There is so much room under the bonnet!

Only issue I have found is that the headlights are a little cloudy on the outside. Can these be polished clear? If so - how? Can a proper car valeter do it, as outside the car needs a good clean and polish.

Any thoughts, advice, recommendations etc. Advice always welcome and unlike some on here, I may even follow it........

FIAT Punto - Buying a 12 year old car - bazza

They are fine cars. People love to diss Fiats but we have had a Panda 1.1 for 9 years now and it has been mercilessly thrashed all that time. But well serviced. Pads every 20K, still on original discs, tyres every 20K etc. Nothing non routine has been needed except an exhaust back box for £30.

The 1.1/1.2 FIRE engine must be one of the finest engines made, it is so smooth, revvy and fun to drive.

The headlights can be DIYs as follows:

Rub with 600 or 800 Wet and Dry, this will be quite scary and the plastic will be opaque. Then same again with 1200, 1500 and finish with 2000 W&D paper or similar. The clarity will gradually return. Then use something like T cut, followed by Autoglym or similar paint restorer and a final polish.

Other cutting compounds will probably work too, but I have had perfect results as above. Will take a good half hour on each lamp.

FIAT Punto - Buying a 12 year old car - HandCart

Sounds good!

They alwyas reckon headlights can be polished with toothpaste. I guess any very mildly abrasive cream stuff might do it. Try in a small corner first, to check it's not going to overdo it.

FIAT Punto - Buying a 12 year old car - Stumblebum

You can also find a paste for headlamps via Amazon. I tried it on my old Honda Accord and got an improvement, though not as good as new.

FIAT Punto - Buying a 12 year old car - oldroverboy.

check if the steering column was replaced see HJ car by car.. the guy who bought my punto 5 years ago still has it, but the steering column went and it wasn;t cheap!

FIAT Punto - Buying a 12 year old car - catsdad
Had a car with cloudy lenses and used to polish them up every six months to keep them clear. I used Turtle wax Safecut paste, intended for paintwork. I used polshing stocking as my cloth. Very cheap solution and I never needed to use anything more aggressive despite their being quite cloudy the first time round. Did this for about six years.

FIAT Punto - Buying a 12 year old car - Avant

Could be a good one - and for only £500 plus the cost of servicing you won't have lost much even if it isn't. A good Italian tune-up might be an idea.

Bona vacantia cases always sound so sad, don't they - a lonely old person, driving fewer than 1,000 miles in a year, with no-one to leave his/her property to. At least the car will have gone to a good home.

FIAT Punto - Buying a 12 year old car - Gibbo_Wirral

There's plenty of headlight polishing solutions on the market. I bought some cerium oxide powder from Ebay for just a few pounds and made it into a paste to clean some headlights on a 52 plate Punto.

"Bona vacantia cases always sound so sad, don't they - a lonely old person, driving fewer than 1,000 miles in a year, with no-one to leave his/her property to. At least the car will have gone to a good home."

Yes they are sad. We have been doing them for about four years in North Manchester. Almost always a man living on his own, with no immediate family and no connection to more distant relatives. We had two very similar cases where the person retired after 40 years in the same job, bought a new car, had paid off the mortgage and died about a month later. From a selfish perspective, my son was too young to consider buying the cars (and they were too expensive for a newly passed driver anyway), but great opportunities and the cash goes to reduce our taxes....

I'm not sure the car will do more than 1,000 miles this year anyway. We need the car for a few weeks as Grandpa (whose car my son drives now) is returning the UK for a couple of months, just as my son has a little job in my office for which he needs wheels. Once Grandpa goes home, son goes away for a gap year so the Fiat will sit around a bit, but next son will start to learn within 12 months.

Anyway thanks for all the advice about polishing headlights. The car itself will need a polish and I think I will send it into the bodshop for 'mopping' and get them to do the headlighs as well. Just heard from my mechanic mate. Car serviced, put on a new battery and had a good look around. He words '....it's a sound car...'

FIAT Punto - Buying a 12 year old car - gordonbennet

Nice find that, well worth hanging onto.

Cloudy headlights, Autosol or any other metal polish will do the business, even T Cut will polish them up but requires a bit more elbow grease.

Most important to put a few coats of wax on them after, will help the new finish to last, it won't be indefinate anyway.

The car is now home but we cannot tax it or drive it as it is SORNed and the V5 is lost so have applied for a new one which will take four weeks. Ah well.

In the meantime I have gone around it with a power wash getting rid of what appears to be several years worth of algae and suchlike. Engine bay is clean and bodywork is rust free but there are some minor scrapes, but I don't think they are worth dealing with. No doubt my son will add more in due course. ....

It now needs a proper wash, polish and wax. Inside the car is pretty clean. I have given it a wipe out and vacced it. It has an odd smell, but not unpleasant and it most likely needs a shampoo and a good hard drive.

The space saver spare is unused and crack free, the 'city' power steering works as do the electric windows and central locking.

I checked the MoT history. Passed every year first time since 2007 apart from November 2015 when it had a major exhaust leak. Looks like a new exhaust was fitted from the looks of the tail pipe.

Only issue I have is we have only one key. I have asked Fiat who want £300 as do Timpson. Any ideas gents?

FIAT Punto - Buying a 12 year old car - Halmerend

110,500 miles?

FIAT Punto - Buying a 12 year old car - Chris M

Both of my sons' first cars were Puntos, a 2002 and a 2004. In my opinion a good choice for a young driver.

The '04 only had one key, but came with a new set of locks with two keys. I got a mobile locksmith to programme the new keys to the car for £100 and I changed the barrels over.

The steering lock on the '02 was worn and required a juggle to turn, so I got a new set of locks and two keys off ebay for £25 and swapped the barrels over. Rather than getting the keys programmed, I took the ring off the steering lock which identifies the key chip (don't know what it's proper name is) and cable tied it to the old key and fixed it high up behind the dash above the fuse box, so the ECU thinks the correct key is being used. You could get two new plain keys cut at considerably lower cost than one chipped and programmed one.

I won't tell your insurance company if you don't. Only your conscious stands between you and a cheap fix.

FIAT Punto - Buying a 12 year old car - craig-pd130

They're a good car and fun to drive. The 1.2 FIRE motor does have one small weakness, which is the head gasket can fail around the #1 cylinder (cambelt end). You'll know when this happens as the engine will overheat, but it's only usually a problem on cars which are mercilessly thrashed and have done higher miles (like my wife's old Punto!).

For the headlight, before setting to with abrasives, try a generous spray of silicone 'bumper black' spray from a discount / pound shop. This stuff is great at bringing back ANY plastic, including clear plastics.

Many thanks to those of you who suggested Solvol Autosol to sort out the cloudy headlights. I found a tube that must be 30 years old in my garage and with only a little elbow grease the lights are crystal clear.

FIAT Punto - Buying a 12 year old car - TrevL

Agree with all the comments about the Punto 1.2 being a good vehicle, my wife has an 04 from new and had covered 110,000 miles with no major issues at all, regular service with local mechanic, very economical motoring. Unfortunately it has developed a major electrical/electronic malfunction, going to limp mode and cutting out, that appear to have been cured but then occur again. Despite all the efforts of my mechanic (and his mates) it looks like the only solution is a new ECU and all the associated bits, and then they say it could still be a dodgy connection elsewhere, so it is BER and being sold for spares/ scrapper. However no complaints it doesn't owe us anything, these things happen and my neighbour has a Jag that has just gone the same way, must be catching! Good luck with yours, £500 is a fair price hope you have trouble free motoring.

Paying £350 now as the new key will cost £250. Really should pay £150 but its probably worth more than that for spares.

Car is now registered to us, taxed and insured and got the spare key. So lets take it for a drive....

Well. Good turn of speed, tyres very noisy on a slightly rough motorway (but I don't notice the noise in my Mercedes) and wipers are typical of a 1970s Fiat let alone a 1990s. But I can see despite heavy rain. Seat is comfortable, very clear instruments and ventilation controls work and are easy to use.

Its a good car for my son.

Radio is OK, but it only takes cassettes! I will swap it out for a new model with Bluetooth- any suggestions welcome....son will want to stream music and take calls. He is very good and doesn't touch his phone unless the engine is off. But the radio is a Blaupunkt which is design for the Punto slot, so advice is required - presumably there is some form of blanking plate one can buy to use an aftermarket radio??

All told, very happy. Will try to give a report in a few weeks of regular use. I probably drove the car for its first time over 50mph today and it seemed to like it - like all good Italian cars, it liked its 'tune up'...

FIAT Punto - Buying a 12 year old car - corax
But the radio is a Blaupunkt which is design for the Punto slot, so advice is required - presumably there is some form of blanking plate one can buy to use an aftermarket radio??

Something like this

www.halfords.com/technology/car-audio/stereo-fitti...o

Then get an adaptor harness to go between the original loom and the stereo of your choice.

Perect thanks