SEAT Leon - Seat Leon MK3 2016 Handbrake FAilure - jaymulli95

So as the title suggests i have had my brand new 2016 seat leon MK3 for 8 weeks, i drove it onto the drive last week which is a moderate incline and applied the handbrake turned the engine off and got out of the car, as i went to shut the door the handbrake failed the car rolled back bent the door back crumpling the drivers door and pinning me against the door and fence leaving me with a broken finger and multiple bruises. the car then rolled back into the neighbours metal fence bending it all the way back.

So all in all that would be a new rear bumper, drivers door, new front wing and damage to the inside of the door where the hinges are.

Luckily i have cctv of the incident showing clearly me applying the handbrake, the moment i take my foot of the brake, turn the engine off and get out of the car, showing it held on the handbrake for over 30 seconds before failing and rolling away.

I have contacted seat UK had it into the dealer and they couldnt replicate a fault surprise surprise, they have taken a statement and it is going to the volkswagen vehicle safety board tomorrow so they can review it and the video evidence.

I just wanted to ask where do you think i stand on this matter? should i requet a brand new car as i shouldnt expect repairs done to an 8 week old car due to a warranty based fault.

SEAT Leon - Seat Leon MK3 2016 Handbrake FAilure - Big John

Was this an electronic or manual handbrake?

If manual and handbrke only lightly applied it can hold until the brake disk cools and shrinks enough to reduce brake friction which if on a slope could allow the car to roll down hill

SEAT Leon - Seat Leon MK3 2016 Handbrake Failure - Avant

You're lucky to have CCTV evidence: this may depend on how good the picture is. It needs to show that you pulled the handbrake up enough to secure the car: if it's like my Octavia, the handbrake works perfectly well but on a slope it needs an extra pull up to make sure it holds.

I don't want to be unhelpful but you must expect that SEAT and the dealer may say you're partly to blame for not leaving the car in gear when parked on a slope. (If you did, please ignore this para!)

Edit - good point, Big John, which would explain the 30 sec delay. I think all Leons have manual handbrakes: if it were electronic the OP would have a much stronger case.

Edited by Avant on 04/05/2016 at 00:32

SEAT Leon - Seat Leon MK3 2016 Handbrake Failure - oldroverboy.

On the Kia's i have had and got. The Handbook says to depress the brake pedal while firmly pulling on the handbrake.

I did experiment and tried NOT pressing the footbrake and the results were the same as the OP. My previous Chevrolets were the same.

Discs on rears = current problem.

SEAT Leon - Seat Leon MK3 2016 Handbrake Failure - Galaxy

Best to leave it in gear when parked, I always do.

SEAT Leon - Seat Leon MK3 2016 Handbrake Failure - RobJP

There is only one real question, to me : did you leave the car in gear or not ?

If you did not leave it in gear, then you've broken one of the primary rules, which is also detailed in the highway code (rule 252), about parking on a slope. In which case, as far as I see it, it would only be a warranty claim if the handbrake has failed (rather than not been fully applied).

So, if not in gear, then it seems to me to be an insurance claim that you'll be making, and you'd have no right of rejection.

It might not be quite so wonderful, having video of the inside of the car, after all ...

SEAT Leon - Seat Leon MK3 2016 Handbrake Failure - galileo

There is only one real question, to me : did you leave the car in gear or not ?

If you did not leave it in gear, then you've broken one of the primary rules, which is also detailed in the highway code (rule 252), about parking on a slope. In which case, as far as I see it, it would only be a warranty claim if the handbrake has failed (rather than not been fully applied).

So, if not in gear, then it seems to me to be an insurance claim that you'll be making, and you'd have no right of rejection.

It might not be quite so wonderful, having video of the inside of the car, after all ...

I have to agree with you Rob, I don't understand why people don't leave in gear on a slope, I was taught to do so over fifty years ago and see no reason not to. My current i30 has rear discs but there is an integral drum which the handbrake uses, so not subject to loosening due to cooling down anyway.

SEAT Leon - Seat Leon MK3 2016 Handbrake Failure - slkfanboy

I suspect you will not get far, sadly

On some cars like BMW 3Series there is an extra brake pad used for the hand brake. (Other car makes/model do the same)

sadly it's far to tempting to save money and piggy back the foot brake system. These release system as they cool can release in colder weather on hills as you have discovered.

SEAT Leon - Seat Leon MK3 2016 Handbrake Failure - brum
I learnt not to rely on a disc based handbrake about 15 years ago when my car almost ended up in Ladybower Dam on a cold snowy day. Fortunately another walker saw it slowly creeping up to the waters edge aand held on to it while frantically shouting and waving with one hand to attract attention.

With drum and disc brakes sometimes sticking solid when parked in inclement weather for any length of time, I usually rely on leaving in 1st or reverse gear and brake off, unless on a slope, when I also use the brake and strategically turn the wheels so the car rolls into the kerb or a safe direction if everything fails.

No lectures about the highway code please.....

Unfortunately my kids cannot understand all this, "its not what the instructor taught us" or "why??" and trying to explain why 1st or reverse gear (depending if nose down or up) is completely beyond them. But at least I've taught them to check the car is in neutral before starting (almost lost the garage door a couple of times..)

However.....leaving in gear can be the kiss of death for VAG cam chain engines.

Sorry for the long post, in short, good luck to the op but don't get your hopes up. 2 or 3 clicks is not enough for those disc brakes.
SEAT Leon - Seat Leon MK3 2016 Handbrake Failure - Smileyman
However.....leaving in gear can be the kiss of death for VAG cam chain engines.

So I guess this would constitute a good reason for NOT leaving the car in gear - but no excuse for not turning the front wheels into the kerb or any side which would prevent / reduce the car from rolling away (learnt that in San Francisco!)

SEAT Leon - Seat Leon MK3 2016 Handbrake Failure - gordonbennet

What the story this week on VAG's fragile offerings, re cam chains?

Presumably not going to end well if like old Gardner Diesels they would run backwards given the right circs, and no i'm not pulling your leg i've seen it done, air being sucked in the exhaust and the exhaust coming out the air intake, they never came to any harm doing so.

SEAT Leon - Seat Leon MK3 2016 Handbrake Failure - galileo

What the story this week on VAG's fragile offerings, re cam chains?

Presumably not going to end well if like old Gardner Diesels they would run backwards given the right circs, and no i'm not pulling your leg i've seen it done, air being sucked in the exhaust and the exhaust coming out the air intake, they never came to any harm doing so.

That's interesting, I knew two-strokes would readily run backwards, didn't know Gardners would.

As for VAG engines not liking reverse torque from parking in gear, not impressed by that.

One wonders what proper engine designers like W.O Bentley or Fred Lanchester would think of such fragile units.

SEAT Leon - Seat Leon MK3 2016 Handbrake Failure - Gordon17

gordonbennet - I believe you used to drive Transporters.

I used to work for Toleman and personally saw 2 instances of an Iveco/Lohr Mk 5 Transporter running backwards - both times it happened after nearly stalling when the PTO was engaged.

SEAT Leon - Seat Leon MK3 2016 Handbrake Failure - gordonbennet

gordonbennet - I believe you used to drive Transporters.

I used to work for Toleman and personally saw 2 instances of an Iveco/Lohr Mk 5 Transporter running backwards - both times it happened after nearly stalling when the PTO was engaged.

Gordon, you had a proper job, i never used a Mk5, but my favourite body of all time was the mk4 cake stand 10 car which i had on Walon.

I didn't know those Ivecos could run backwards, but yes a semi stall via PTO was how my mate managed to get his Gardner XLC going backwards, Rolonoff body and the PTO had been fitted on 5th gear IIRC correctly on a David Brown 6 speed constant mesh box, so high geared was the lifter that @ 1000rpm it would load the skip in about 8 seconds, it split one gearbox apart and after my mate was worried about it constantly, so he tried to keep the revs down which semi stalled it and yes, soon as he put his foot on the clutch she fired up backwards.

Great fun.

Would love to have got onto Tolemans, THE job to have in the 70's and 80's, presumably you're retired now?...i've got another 5 years to go, assuming ther goal posts don't get shifted, on a tanker now togther with about 6 ex transporter jockeys..:-)

Galileo, i find myself shaking my head ever more at the backwards progress we seem in, we're nearly at disposable vehicle stage now, no doubt they'll come with some way of stopping old fogies like me running old cars with some environmental cobblers...well when that day comes they won't be getting any income at all from me cos i just do not want anything to do with modern, so push bike it will be, or the bus.

Edited by gordonbennet on 05/05/2016 at 18:41

SEAT Leon - Seat Leon MK3 2016 Handbrake Failure - Big John
leaving in gear can be the kiss of death for VAG cam chain engines.

Not just VAG engines

Basically turning a cam chain engine backwards that has extra stuff fed off the cams (eg high pressure direct injection pump!) means that the forces required to turn the cam shaft are pushed back through to the tensioner

However it is safe to leave in a manual gear that would rotate an engine in the normal diretcion if car rolled down the hill eg 1st pointing down a hill or reverse pointing up a hill

SEAT Leon - Seat Leon MK3 2016 Handbrake Failure - Avant

When I've had a manual car, like the current one, I leave it in first every time I park - uphill, downhill or on the level. But I always wait for a moment after switching off before releasing the clutch. I've had 4 manual VAG cars and never a problem.

SEAT Leon - Seat Leon MK3 2016 Handbrake Failure - slkfanboy

When I've had a manual car, like the current one, I leave it in first every time I park - uphill, downhill or on the level. But I always wait for a moment after switching off before releasing the clutch. I've had 4 manual VAG cars and never a problem.

I suspect that using the Handbreak and 1st gear is unlikely to cause damage. Use first gear only getting in and out of the car might cause the engine to turn in the wrong direction, which in turn could course problems. So it's no surpise you had no issues

SEAT Leon - Seat Leon MK3 2016 Handbrake Failure - Big John

It's manual cars with oil pressured hydraulic tensioners that are the "potential" issue !

When engine turning in the normal directin of rotation, crankshaft sproket pulls down the cam chain directly from camshaft sproket - all OK

When engine turning in the opposite direction of rotation, crankshaft sproket pulls down the cam chain via the tensioner from the camshaft sproket which if the camshaft resists rotation (lots of vlaves / high pressure pump etc) applies force back on the tensioner rail which "could" be pushed back especially if worn leaving a slack chain for when the car is next started

VAG cars with cam belts don't have this issue as the tensioner is manually adjusted

1st or reverse have nearly the same gear ratios so would have similar levels of engine braking so it's no hardship to either leave in reverse pointing up the hill or first pointing down.

The engine can potentially rotate even with the handbrake applied because it will roll a little bit once footbrake released until rear suspension takes the tension

On another note after stopping, turning off the engine , putting in gear , applying the handbrake and relasing the footbrake dip the clutch again to release tension on clutch springs (on clutch friction plate on SMF or within flywheel with DMF) otherwise they will remain in permanent tension - ok for a while but.....

Edited by Big John on 05/05/2016 at 23:35

SEAT Leon - Seat Leon MK3 2016 Handbrake FAilure - Wukl

I too am old enough to have been advised "leave your car in first gear in case the handbrake fails". That was from my dad, handed down from his dad who first had a car in the 1920s. But this is 2016, how can that still be that necessary on a new car? How can a car so soon from the factory have such a fundamental flaw? Nowadays, a driver of such a car should be able to put on the handbrake - and just the handbrake - and leave it on for six weeks and expect it to hold the car and release first time, and drive off. Are we actually making progress? My sympathies are entirely with the OP. Me, I'm glad my fifteen year old car has separate rear disc brake pads and handbrake drums.

SEAT Leon - Seat Leon MK3 2016 Handbrake FAilure - Avant

Fair point, Wukl, but cars are heavier now and mechanical handbrakes have more to do. Mine works perfectly but it does need a fairly hefty pull to hold the car on a slope.

I suppose that's why electronic parking brakes have come in - but these of course can fail so even more need to leave the car in gear. if it's a manual.

SEAT Leon - Seat Leon MK3 2016 Handbrake FAilure - Wukl

I can't say I have unduly yank on my handbrake. My old girl is 1500kg so probably comparible to the OP's Leon. Of course, I am similarly of an age to religiousy apply the handbrake with the button depressed, so I can't say how many 'clicks' it takes!

SEAT Leon - Seat Leon MK3 2016 Handbrake FAilure - brum
The problem with manually operated handbrakes is knowing how just how many clicks is enough. Cables stretch and are springy and change length with temperature. Discs change dimensions with temperature which can go from 200 deg+ Celcius to ambient after driving. Pads too. And pads/discs vary in static friction performance over time etc, etc.

2 clicks can feel firmly applied to some, but on a slope you may need 6 clicks and maybe some setups may not even hold.

And peoples ability to pull a handbrake can vary tremendously.

I mention two clicks because the Skoda tech keeps telling me that is their spec and for only £50 they can adjust it....yeah....

SEAT Leon - Seat Leon MK3 2016 Handbrake FAilure - skidpan

I bought my first car with rear discs back in 1986 and since then I have had at a guess another 8 such cars. Only one had seperate drums for the handbrake. In all that time I have never had an issue.

My current car is a 2013 Seat Leon with rear discs. Never had a problem.

In virtually all these reported failures its operator error but they will never accept it.

And I still park mine in gear, costs nothing and would avoid an accident if the handbrake did fail.

SEAT Leon - Seat Leon MK3 2016 Handbrake FAilure - Big John

And I still park mine in gear, costs nothing and would avoid an accident if the handbrake did fail.

I tend to leave in a gear be it first or reverse(see above) but I also turn the front wheels to steer the car into the curb if the worst was to happen. As per skidpan - costs nowt (sorry I'm from Yorkshire)

The first disc rear handbrake I encoutered was on a Ford Zodiac MKIV (1971?) and it was truly dreadful. I used to be just about able to sort it so it would pass an MOT but it was useless for the rest of the year. The same rear caiplers were fitted to the Rover P6 (inboard)

SEAT Leon - Seat Leon MK3 2016 Handbrake FAilure - madf

Drive a moderm auto.

You cannot remove keys if not in Park

SEAT Leon - Seat Leon MK3 2016 Handbrake FAilure - 2010Jagman

Hyundai I30 2012 can be left in drive and keys removed. only noticed it the other day when i came to start it again (and had to go back to park to start)

SEAT Leon - Seat Leon MK3 2016 Handbrake FAilure - gordonbennet

The first disc rear handbrake I encoutered was on a Ford Zodiac MKIV (1971?) and it was truly dreadful. I used to be just about able to sort it so it would pass an MOT but it was useless for the rest of the year. The same rear caiplers were fitted to the Rover P6 (inboard)

I had both cars too, two of each.

Those Lucas swinging calipers self adjusters were nothing but trouble on the Fords, being in the usual place they got damaged by road salt ingress, yet those inboard on the Rovers were no trouble at all (discs right up against the diff for those unfamiliar)...which is good because even changing the pads was a work of art where they were situated.

The good thing about them was that you could buy all parts individually so if the basic caliper was worth saving you could rebuild them and lube them properly then glue the dust seal to the cover, ended up with a better caliper than from the factory...which wasn't difficult.

Thankfully our three present cars are all drum inside rear disc parking brake design, which given a little tlc now and again last for many years work well and give no trouble, the only one i've had problems with was my sons Volvo S60 which had the usual fault of the friction material parting company with the backing plate which can seize the hub completely, so anyone with a Volvo of that brake design would be well advised to get the rear brakes stripped and checked, much cheaper than sorting out a fully seized one after the event.

Edited by gordonbennet on 10/05/2016 at 08:28