VW Golf VI 1.6TDi - Replacing battery: VW Golf mk 6 - ah207

The dreaded ping sound and the persistent red battery warning light tells me its time to replace the battery. The info on the current battery is:

5KO 915 105E

12V 61Ah 330A DIN

540A EN/SAE

Brand: Banner

If shopping for my own, do I have to match these numbers precisely ? The alternative is simply to take it to a Qwik-Fit type garage and "let the experts do it". But it seems a moderately easy job - I feel like I'm being very lazy by taking it somewhere. Would anyone recommend I do this by myself - assuming I can buy the correct size/amperage etc ?

Thank you

VW Golf VI 1.6TDi - Replacing battery: VW Golf mk 6 - medview

Hi

It all really depends on whether you have start/stop.

If you don't, then the battery replacement is very simple and can be trusted to almost anyone. You could try the Halfords website or Euro carparts for a recommendation.

I'd recommend using a vendor with reasonable turnover so that you don't get old stock. Disposal of the old battery is also a potential nuisance.

I'd recommend Bosch or Varta battery.

Joe

VW Golf VI 1.6TDi - Replacing battery: VW Golf mk 6 - elekie&a/c doctor

If the red battery warning light is showing on the dash,this is not an indication that the battery is faulty.I would suggest getting the electrical system checked over,especially the alternator charge voltage.The usual battery for these is termed an 027 type.this will be the reqd spec.

VW Golf VI 1.6TDi - Replacing battery: VW Golf mk 6 - KenC

I am not convinced that a new battery is the soloution

Check your owners handbook carefully to find out what the cause for the warning light might be ? and ascertain if you have/need a radio security code.maybe google may throw up some suggestions.

Assuming you have the radio code ( or do not need one) remove the current battery Remove the negative terminal first and connect last.

Clean the terminals including the earth strap to chassis.All you will need is a suitable spanner and socket with extension bar.

Charge the battery and refit it, if the warning light persists consult an auto electrician

If you eventually need a new battery try performance batteries of tewksbury, they have an excellent website, xompare the measurements of your existing batteries with the type they offer, they will deliver the next working day.

Their prices are hard to beat and the will match any other price you find.When I relaced my Golf Diesel battery about 3 years ago my choices were

1.halfords £110. 2 EurocarParts £88.3 Local Independant £80. or

Performance batteries £55 (delivered with a 4 year guarantee)

VW Golf VI 1.6TDi - Replacing battery: VW Golf mk 6 - slkfanboy

I am not convinced that a new battery is the soloution

Check your owners handbook carefully to find out what the cause for the warning light might be ? and ascertain if you have/need a radio security code.maybe google may throw up some suggestions.

Assuming you have the radio code ( or do not need one) remove the current battery Remove the negative terminal first and connect last.

Clean the terminals including the earth strap to chassis.All you will need is a suitable spanner and socket with extension bar.

Charge the battery and refit it, if the warning light persists consult an auto electrician

If you eventually need a new battery try performance batteries of tewksbury, they have an excellent website, xompare the measurements of your existing batteries with the type they offer, they will deliver the next working day.

Their prices are hard to beat and the will match any other price you find.When I relaced my Golf Diesel battery about 3 years ago my choices were

1.halfords £110. 2 EurocarParts £88.3 Local Independant £80. or

Performance batteries £55 (delivered with a 4 year guarantee)

Be very carefull and understand the issue first. If there is a fault in the charging system then you might kill the new battery.

Check the car is charging correctly then get the battery drop tested. These are simple 10 min jobs that could save you money.

VW Golf VI 1.6TDi - Replacing battery: VW Golf mk 6 - quizman

I would get this one from a good firm which I have used twice:

www.tayna.co.uk/Type-027-Varta-Silver-Dynamic-Car-...l

VW Golf VI 1.6TDi - Replacing battery: VW Golf mk 6 - Wackyracer

There is one problem with buying a battery online, if you are unlucky and get a faulty one it can be uneconomical to return it to them for a replacement or refund.

VW Golf VI 1.6TDi - Replacing battery: VW Golf mk 6 - RT

There is one problem with buying a battery online, if you are unlucky and get a faulty one it can be uneconomical to return it to them for a replacement or refund.

That's not an issue for reputable suppliers who collect faulty items at their own expense - but in some cases they may just send a replacement /refund and ask you to dispose of the faulty one.

VW Golf VI 1.6TDi - Replacing battery: - ah207

Thank you all for your inputs. To explain the problem in more detail:

When I turn the ignition half way, all the warning symbols on the dash light up for a few seconds - and then disapear (as normal). However, the red battery symbol and the yellow engine symbol remain lit. After the car starts and the engine is turning, both symbols then disappear and the car drives normally, with no warnng pings or dash symbols. Normal idle too. Yesterday the car started first time. This evening after work, I will take it to a local garage (who do electrical diagnostics) and will know better. I will post an update.

Again, thank you for chiming in.

VW Golf VI 1.6TDi - Replacing battery: - KenC

You say when you turn your ignition halfway the red battery symbol illuminates and remains illuminated. Then after you start the engine and let it idle the battery symbol goes out, this seems normal to me, I do not think you have a fault.

Basically yes. The yellow engine symbol and the red battery symbol don't go out immediately (like all the others), but after the car starts, both disappear - and everything is normal with no other audio or visial warning. I could be mistaken, but all the symbols that light up in the middle ingition position, go out after a few seconds (except handbrake) - I'm fairly sure its the firs ttime I have noticed the red battery symbol remain on until after the car has started. But the other reason I thought that something was awry was when on Saturday morning, and again on Sunday morning, the car didn't start first time. Could be that I rushed the ignition procedure - in which case, like you said, everything is fine and I'm just picking up some paranoia. Hope to be able to solve the doubt this evening as there is an independent garage near where I live and they're open until 7PM.

UPDATE: The garage checked the battery, the ignition system and then performed an electronic diagnostics test. Result: Nothing wrong - no error codes, or problems with alternator, or faulty dash light bulbs. Car starts normally.

So I was left a bit red-faced. Looks like the problem I thought I detected last weekend was just a result of rushing the ignition. About as rushed as me posting a thread in the forum!

Anyway, had to pay for the diagnostics test - but managed to get them to stamp the service book. Other than that.....apologies for wasting everyone's time :-/

VW Golf VI 1.6TDi - Replacing battery: - kiss (keep it simple)

Not to worry. Now you have plenty of advice for when you do need to replace the battery!

Not to worry. Now you have plenty of advice for when you do need to replace the battery!

LOL!!! Good one. But yes, quite right.