BMW 5 Series 2013 - timing chain issue - rick459

I was looking for some info regarding the timing chain issues on the BMW n47 engines. From what I have read on forums the fault occurs on engines built between 07-09.

Does anyone know if the fault is still as common in newer 520d's?

I am looking at buying a used 520d 2013 and was curious if the fault is still as common.

Thanks in advance

Rick

Edited by rick459 on 23/04/2016 at 02:09

BMW 5 Series 2013 - timing chain issue - phil_z70

Mostly the problem isn't as wide spread after '09 but still can occur, but can occur with any timing chained car

There are lots of problems posted by people who have had problems in the 3 & 5 series, but they are very popular cars with lots been sold, people whose cars have been fine would have no need to post, it would be interesting to know what percentage of cars have been a problem and how this relates to servicing

Main problem is the long life service oil changes, try and find one that has had 10'000 miles / yearly oil & filter changes whichever comes first and it should be fine

Some BMW diesels can be run over 20k plus miles on the same oil, this is crazy and future problems are likely

Edited by phil_z70 on 23/04/2016 at 11:23

BMW 5 Series 2013 - timing chain issue - Peter.N.

I can remember when cam belts first appeared, there were many complaints about having to change them as all the previous cars used chains and they lasted the life of the car, what people forgot is that the life of the everage car in the '50-60s was generally well under 100,000 miles because they fell apart before the chain broke. Bearing that in mind, not using a replaceable belt seems a retrograde step.

BMW 5 Series 2013 - timing chain issue - focussed

The first production car I can remember that had a cam belt, was the 1.6 and 2.0 Ford SOHC motors in the seventies, I'm probably wrong there, as I had a 2.0 litre Capri mkII and worked on it to sort out the cam oiling problems.

BMW 5 Series 2013 - timing chain issue - skidpan

The first production car I can remember that had a cam belt, was the 1.6 and 2.0 Ford SOHC motors in the seventies,

First car I had with a cam belt was a 1.8 Viva. The engine was introduced in the Victor in 1.6 and 2.0 versions in about 1968 so just predated the Ford "Pinto" engine.