Toyota Auris hybrid Icon Plus Hatchback - Brake click - Plugman40

Well I have had this car on a 15 plate for around 5 weeks now. Generally I am happy except for an annoying brake click. When travelling at high (50mph or low 10mph) the brakes work without a click. But if I am braking from say 30 mph then I get a click similar to lightly dropping a ball bearing on a hard surface. The click also happens when I pull away but not at the higher or lower speeds.

The car went in today for this to be investigated and the calipers were greased it has made no difference. I am told that it is normal to get this - however I had a loan Touring Sports hybrid for a few days and that didnt do it nor did my mk1 hybrid auris. Any ideas? Will I have to live with it or is there something else that can be done. Do you think if I asked to test drive another Icon Plus to see if that does it,Is that unreasonable?

Any help greatly appreciated

Toyota Auris hybrid Icon Plus Hatchback - Brake click - Big John

Don't these hybrids have two stage braking. Under light braking you don't use brake pads but slow with regenerative charging, it's only when you need heavier braking that you need the pads/disks

Is the noise the "crossover point"?

Toyota Auris hybrid Icon Plus Hatchback - Brake click - madf

I have driven hybrid Yarises and Prius .. none made any brake clicking.

I suspect the pads are a slightly loose fit in the slides and the click is taking up the slack on the switch from regenerative to "normal" braking.. (as above)

Toyota Auris hybrid Icon Plus Hatchback - Brake click - puckdrop

My 2007 prius has a definite noise change as it blends the friction brakes in over the regen at 7mph. Except during hard braking and those low speeds, the regen is usually used all the time, although it does seem to keep the brakes "primed" ready to go at all times.

There is a "duh duh duh" noise which occurrs after switching off, or when on EV mode for quite a while - this seems to be the brake servo doing stuff.

The other half has a 65 Prius + and I don't hear these noises, but the braking system blending etc.. was changed slightly with the newer models.

Toyota Auris hybrid Icon Plus Hatchback - Brake click - Plugman40

Just to update everyone and thanks for the replies.

My car has been back to the dealer and they have copper greased the pins and outer part of the brake pads and the result is its just the same.Still a single click when braking and a double click when pulling away.

Interestingly when sitting in the driver seat it appears to come from the front in the passenger seat it appears to come from the rear. Its almost seems to me that its coming from under the accelerater/brake pedals when driving. Its definitely in the driving seat when its most noticeable less so in the rear seats.

Any ideas? It goes in next week for a day long check. The Service Manager is unsure what is causing it.

Help greatly appreciated.

Thanks