overtaking competently, a lost art? - gordonbennet

This is prompted by the performance yesterday (Friday) of one who hasn't the foggiest idea and nearly lost his life for it.

I'm at work it's 5.50am on the A420 between Oxford and Swindon in an artic tanker, maintaining 50 where possible on the single carriagway as its now legal...and as an aside the increase from 40 to 50 has stopped most suicidal overtakes by the terminally inept and made all our journeys less frustrating IMHO.

So, i've gone past Kingston Bagpuize on the dual carriageway and on the single carriage bends just after 2 cars come up behind me, the lead car jammed tight up behind me giving himself almost no field of vision and no acceleration room before committing to go by, always a sign that you have to keep an eye on them, just past the BP garage about 2 miles further on the left there is a slight right hand bend and then a 400 yd straight and another fast right hand bend.

Yep, matey in the Avensis mk1 chooses closing on this second bend to overtake, dawn is breaking but headlights still needed, he's about half way past when i see the lights of the oncoming artic about to clear the bend, so i hit the anchors dropping about 25 mph sharpish, lorry the other way brakes hard too, matey in the car just manages to slip in between us with a hard swerve left and right and luckily for all of us gets away with it unscathed, closest i've nearly been involved with for a long time.

All over, but i noticed the chap in the Golf behind which was the second car following had dropped right back, i think he did this as the Avensis started the overtake so possibly he'd already witnessed matey's driving further back and wanted to be well out the way sensible fellow, he overtook competently a little further along.

I'm sure we've all seen this type of thing, it was a mistake on his behalf but higlighted just how badly he had set the whole thing up, had he been further back and started his overtake as he cleared the previous bend he would have got past easily.

When did overtaking get lost as an art?

Edited by gordonbennet on 09/04/2016 at 16:26

overtaking competently, a lost art? - focussed

As an ex-instructor, it's difficult to teach overtaking on two-way roads.

It's usually started off by teaching overtaking on dual-carriageways because it's safer.

When the pupil has mastered that including learning to get it done quickly, in the right gear for the conditions and not to return to the left-lane until the headlamps of the overtaken vehicle are visible in the centre mirror with all the appropriate observations and signals etc, you then drive around looking for a car to overtake on a two-way road.

Must be wide enough, the other car must be doing a moderate speed, no junctions, lay-bys, gateways, filling stations, solid white lines. Usually in a NSL-Oh and no oncoming traffic!

If all that is in place and the pupil can overtake safely it's not unusal to get a serenade of horn-blowing and light flashing from the outraged overtaken driver.

"Did you see that Mabel? That instructor must be a lunatic letting that pupil overtake me like that - I'm going to report that to the police"

That's why a lot of instructors don't teach it practically.

I actually did get reported once and it went back to the driving test centre chief examiner-who happened to be an ex-Hendon police driving and motorcycle instructor, he had a good laugh about it!

overtaking competently, a lost art? - bazza

I've seen similar many many times on the A470 through Wales. As Focussed states, it is not taught. My wife has a paranoia about it and simply wouldn't overtake anything until she passed her motorbike test and was actually taught it properly. Obviously, it is much easier on a bike with its huge performance advantage, but the observation, preparation and positioning are similar, it just needs a longer bit of road in a car. I'm glad you took evasive action and avoided an incident, no doubt the muppet who passed you has no idea what he owes you.

overtaking competently, a lost art? - mickburkesnr

I was never taught this, having passed my test 7 years ago. The guy had taken me on a dual carriageway once and that was it. He said I was a natural at it, so didn't bother with it after. Same with bay parking, I did it once when parking the car up for the end of the lesson. He didn't expect me to get it in the bay but I did. I was happy.

I have seen some stupid overtakes, mostly on that A road from the M54 through to Chester. Once I was stuck behind this guy who was doing 40mph, and I thought "I'll overtake him when I get chance". I got my chance, left plenty of room in front of me, and I go for it. He starts to accelerate! We're actually neck and neck when a HGV comes in to view, I slam the anchors on and dart behind him. He's waving his finger at me - then reduces back to 40mph!

Didn't bother overtaking him again until I got to a dual carriageway further down. I have no idea why he did that, but I did notice a mobile phone in his hand as I drove past...

overtaking competently, a lost art? - Engineer Andy

In my view, too many idiots think that their car is 'more than powerful' enough to overtake 'almost anyone'. I wonder what percentage of the driving population considers their skill to be 'above average' [hint hint!]. I also think many people are now becoming over-confident, lazy and unattentive in their driving due to the plethora of 'safety gizmos' most modern cars have.

Such problems are also often caused by people making very rash judgements on rural/semi-rural roads (where most fatal accidents occur), where they fail to take into account:

1. The type of road they are driving on (e.g. with lots of hidden dips, bends, junctions/openings),where other vehicles, people and animals can appear with little or no warning and no nice pavement to mount to get out of the way of an accident - only a ditch, hedge, tree or the oncoming vehicle etc;
  2. Changeable road conditions, e.g. mud on the road from farm vehicles, going from nice tarmac to poorly-surfaced sections, sudden banks of fog/rain or snow/black ice;
  3. Driving outside daylight hours, especially on rural and/or unfamiliar roads makes the above even more dangerous.

I'm sure most Backroomers (including myself) have seen some hair-raising incidents over the years - one 'memorable' one I recall was on the A41 just north of Watford (at the traffic lights just before the M25 junction 20) where a reckless idiot decided to overtake a car in the outside lane via the RH filter lane at the lights! How they missed totalling themselves and causing a major accident I do not know!

overtaking competently, a lost art? - bathtub tom

I use the the roads around Thetford. Single carriageway with long straight stretches.

Often come across a train of cars doing 40MPH. Some get really upset when I overtake, but they seem disinclined to do so.

overtaking competently, a lost art? - NARU

Often come across a train of cars doing 40MPH. Some get really upset when I overtake, but they seem disinclined to do so.

... and often driving far too close together - I've overtaken four plus the slow lead driver a few times recently - though I'd hugely prefer not to have to.

Had to force my way in halfway up the snake once - you'd think I'd declared war from the outrage I received.

overtaking competently, a lost art? - RT

I use the A9 single carriageway between Perth and Inverness most years when I'm towing the caravan - being limited to 50 mph a queue often builds up behind despite the frequent long sight lines (in good weather) when it's often visibly clear for a mile ahead - despite giving a brief left indicate and moving left over the edge margin line I reckon about 90% or more of cars either can't be bothered or don't know how to overtake.

If there were no chances to overtake, I'd pull into a layby and let them past but feel disinclined if they won't use obvious opportunities.

I've not been up since the HGV trial at 50 mph (unlike the change in England) but I image that's just reduced car overtaking even more.

overtaking competently, a lost art? - galileo

It is educational to watch the Brutal Car Crashes from Russia on YouTube. Should be compulsory for such as the clown whose life GB saved.

Mind you, its not just the overtaking on the straights that goes bad, they over- and undertake approaching junctions, t-boning turning traffic, run red lights at speed and send pedestrians flying at crossings.

Possibly also should be shown in driver education courses for speeders, boy racers, tailgatersetc. The results of these misjudgements/impatience are truly horrifying.

overtaking competently, a lost art? - Wolfan

I use the A9 single carriageway between Perth and Inverness most years when I'm towing the caravan - being limited to 50 mph a queue often builds up behind despite the frequent long sight lines (in good weather) when it's often visibly clear for a mile ahead - despite giving a brief left indicate and moving left over the edge margin line I reckon about 90% or more of cars either can't be bothered or don't know how to overtake.

If there were no chances to overtake, I'd pull into a layby and let them past but feel disinclined if they won't use obvious opportunities.

I've not been up since the HGV trial at 50 mph (unlike the change in England) but I image that's just reduced car overtaking even more.

If lorries can maintain the national speed limits on single cariage roads that's fine and every driver should be made aware of the importance of leaving enough room for overtaking vehicles to pull in if neccessary. The latest lunacy has been increasing the speed limit of tractors from 30 to 40 mph as the modern tractor complete with huge trailer makes overtaking by nervous drivers impossible and they always seem to be at the front of the queue. It would be more appropiate to reduce the maximum to 20 or even 10 mph which would allow even the most timid of drivers to pass. We now have a situation where tractor drivers no longer stop to allow a build up of traffic to pass, this is a legal requirement which should be enforced and offenders prosecuted.

Tractors you say, coming down the A15 in my previous job at a steady 50, in the near distance one of those JCB Fastrack's pulled out in front of me complete with huge trailer on the back, and then proceeded to leave me behind at a quite reasonable rate, quite impressive those things.

Tractors you say, coming down the A15 in my previous job at a steady 50, in the near distance one of those JCB Fastrack's pulled out in front of me complete with huge trailer on the back, and then proceeded to leave me behind at a quite reasonable rate, quite impressive those things.

A steady 50mph on an A road these days in most cases is too slow, I can manage more than that in my 50 plus year old cars, the maximum speed for tractors has recently been increased from 30 to 40mph and this has caused problems rather than improved matters.

A steady 50mph on an A road these days in most cases is too slow,

I agree but that was 10mph over the statutory limit for the vehicle i was in at the time, 40 the legal limit (and they do have regular camera vans down there) would have been laughable watching the JCB vanish into the distance in seconds.

overtaking competently, a lost art? - 72 dudes

I use the the roads around Thetford. Single carriageway with long straight stretches.

Know them well, bathtub.

A134 Bury to Thetford last year. Two cars in front doing about 45. Nice straight stretch, great visibility, nothing coming, safe overtake, get level with the leading car, realise he's speeded up to 55+ deliberately, now there's something coming t'other way closing in, end up having to continue to accelerate to 70 to clear him, as safer than dropping back to pull in between cars 1 and 2. Stupid geezer then flashes his lights as, of course, I'm in the wrong in his eyes.

I then bring a civil suit for attempted murder. (Oh no, that bit's made up)

I then bring a civil suit for attempted murder. (Oh no, that bit's made up)

If i was a copper i would make it my life's work to throw the book at these people, they really would kill you if they thought they could get away with it, so brainless are that they fail to realise the car coming the other way may well end up head on with them, there are no winners in a massive pile up, only survivors.

I tend to go for stealth overtakes to foil these fools.

Edited by gordonbennet on 12/04/2016 at 18:19

Had something similar happen to me (I live in the same-ish region) on the (single-lane each way) A10 Buntingford bypass south of Royston - despite the nice wide, (mainly) straight road, the three behicles in front wanted to stick to 45mph (the limit was 60). Two turned off, leaving one who still kept to about 45-50, then, just as I had started to overtake (the safest long straight stretch at over 1.5 miles), the third guy decides to floor it to 'keep pace' with me, even slowing down when I initially decided to back off.

I finally got passed (lucky I had a lot of clear road ahead), but it really scared me at the time - its as if some people think they 'own' the road and won't let anyone pass, whatever speed they are doing and never-mind-the-consequences. I can now see the benefit of having dash cams - sad to say some of the very bad driving you see elsewhere around the globe is rubbing off/being imported into the UK.

I was on a bus once where our driver did the exact same thing - to another bus driver, in a built up area (High Barnet - near the hospital)!! Can you imagine two buses going 'toe-to-toe' at 60mph (one on the wrong side of the road), with passengers being thrown about. It was like some scene from an action film! Not good!

overtaking competently, a lost art? - Avant

"....the third guy decides to floor it to 'keep pace' with me, even slowing down when I initially decided to back off."

That's why I like to drive a car that's got enough zing to get past anyway. There are plenty of cars with more power than the 217 bhp in my Octavia, but they are unlikely to be driven in such an idiotic way.

overtaking competently, a lost art? - Smileyman

try the A251 between M2 and M20 motorways - glorified country lane in places, very few straight section so rarely possible to overtake, (nowhere possible to overtake an HGV) on some sections if 2 HGV are approaching they have to slow down to walking pace to pass, situation made worse with continental drivers who seem to use this as an alternative route to/from the Tunnel. At the M20 end there is along steep winding hill up (direction M2) so overtaking anything here is dangerously impossible.

Most of the route is restricted to 50, even so there's always one in the front - all sorts of vehicles - who can't fathom how to get above 35, (or slower if it's night) with a long tail of vehicles behind, often too close to each other for an overtaker to slot in, there's no easy answer but I'm counting the days to when a head on crash does occur.

Friday morning an HGV stuck to 30 all the way to the M20, I so wanted to get in front of this offender at the traffic lights then stall as the lights went green!

overtaking competently, a lost art? - ExA35Owner

Thinking of the driving I do, mainly round town or longish motorway runs, I virtually never have to overtake in the sense of "pull out into the opposite side of the road." What's more, on the roads where I might like to overtake, traffic is normally so heavy that there's not much chance. You see a whole line of traffic in front, work out you might be able to overtake one or two vehicles occasionally, so will never get to the front of the queue and therefore justify the overtake, and decide to simply join the procession. Once I'd worked this out, I also worked out there was no point in buying cars with lots of acceleration. I think maybe my bank balance is less damaged, and my blood pressure lower, though I do miss the faster cars and the occasional burst of speed.

If other drivers' experience is similar to mine, they probably get little opportunity to practise overtaking, so will not get the chance to hone their judgement by experience.

overtaking competently, a lost art? - Sofa Spud

One dangerous scenario that has probably been a factor in some head-on collisions is when the driver being overtaken brakes to let the overtaker in at the exact same moment as the overtaker has second thoughts and decides to abort their overtake. I've had that situation myself (I was the one being overtaken!!). It all happens so quickly - you instinctively brake to let an overtaker in ahead of you, only to find they're braking too and are trapped on the wrong side of the road. Luckily this particular incident happened at relatively low speed, although it was on an A road, and there was no collision. But three cars were stopped in the road, me, the overtaker and an oncoming car a few feet from his front bumper.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 10/04/2016 at 00:46

overtaking competently, a lost art? - Avant

When did overtaking get lost as an art? - as ExA35owner says wisely just above, there is so much trafffic nowadays where most people live that there are very few opportunities to practise the art.

When we lived in Berkshire, I hardly ever overtook anything when driving locally: there are more opportunities here in rural north Dorset, but we have a different problem in that many of the roads are country lanes where there isn't the width of road even to think about overtaking.

The good news is (GB will correct me if I'm wrong) that lorries can move quite a lot faster than they did when I started driving just over 50 years ago. Following GB's artic at 50 would be no hardship, but in the days when artics struggled to go at much more than 30, impatience can kick in all too easily.

The man in the Avensis could well have been half asleep at 5.50 am: awake no doubt at 5.51 am after two alert professional drivers had saved his life by braking.

overtaking competently, a lost art? - Wackyracer

I saw a similar driver on a local single carriageway a couple of weeks back, He overtook me and a few cars behind me and cut in on me as oncoming traffic was too close for comfort. He was then about 6 feet behind the curtainsider infront and did a blind leap out to overtake, of course by this time I was well back not wishing to be a contributor to his injuries.

Then the other night I see this road on the local news as being a 'dangerous road' because of several deaths in the past year. No such thing as a dangerous road, just dangerous drivers.

... He was then about 6 feet behind the curtainsider infront and did a blind leap out to overtake....

Yes, people seem not to be aware that the best overtakes can start quite some distance behind, where the visibility is better.

overtaking competently, a lost art? - catsdad
I agree Marlot. A lesson I learned with my first car, a Renault 4 with a 3 speed gearbox and about 35 hp and little torque. You had to plan ahead, take a run (or jog!) at it and ensure you had enough speed to complete the manoeuvre safely. If you didn't then you simply pulled out before you were committed to the actual passing move.
Quite satisfying in its own way but probably not in modern traffic where the necessary gaps are not there to be exploited and where following faster traffic is likely to compromise your ability to create the necessary runup space by passing you and then taking up that space.
overtaking competently, a lost art? - craig-pd130

A lot of drivers proceed as if they ARE driving a Renault 4 -- I often cringe inside when I see people commit to an overtake, and then only go at 4mph faster than the vehicle they are passing, while the oncoming traffic looms ever larger ...

Not to mention the occasional driver who sees himself as a traffic enforcement officer, and actually ACCELERATES when you try to pass.

overtaking competently, a lost art? - John F

Not to mention the occasional driver who sees himself as a traffic enforcement officer, and actually ACCELERATES when you try to pass.

There's now too much of that ill-mannered disgraceful and dangerous behaviour. If a fatality was ever involved they should be prosecuted for manslaughter at the very least. If you are in a queue and have decided to stay put rather than 'earhole' your way up it and past the old dodderer 'nice quiet road today, Mavis - they all seem to be coming the other way', it is courteous to leave a decent space for ear'olers to occupy should they wish to do so rather than flashing and hooting them for cutting in and causing a delay of 0.5 of a second.

There's now too much of that ill-mannered disgraceful and dangerous behaviour. If a fatality was ever involved they should be prosecuted for manslaughter at the very least. If you are in a queue and have decided to stay put rather than 'earhole' your way up it and past the old dodderer 'nice quiet road today, Mavis - they all seem to be coming the other way', it is courteous to leave a decent space for ear'olers to occupy should they wish to do so rather than flashing and hooting them for cutting in and causing a delay of 0.5 of a second.

Try driving a caravan at it's 60mph motorway limit when a car driver is doing 55 in lane - they don't like being overtaken by a caravan - either speeding to prevent me pulling back over - or letting me overtake, then speed up to overtake me and then slow down to 55.

Even if I'm cruising at the legal limit solo, I don't take umbrage at those who wish to travel faster as long as it's done in a safe and considerate way.

Try driving a caravan at it's 60mph motorway limit when a car driver is doing 55 in lane 1....

I've had them doing 55 (or less) in lane 2 (of a three lane motorway).

I'm not legally allowed into lane 3, but the middle lane hogger absolutely refuses to move over...

Try driving a caravan at it's 60mph motorway limit when a car driver is doing 55 in lane 1....

I've had them doing 55 (or less) in lane 2 (of a three lane motorway).

I'm not legally allowed into lane 3, but the middle lane hogger absolutely refuses to move over...

Trailers are also banned from the outside lane of motorways with 3 or more lanes so I understand some of HGV drivers' frustrations with drivers like that.

Indeed - unfortunately I think the 'red mist' often determines the point at which people begin to overtake!

The main problem is not with drivers who want to overtake, it's with those who are content to remain behind the slowest vehicle but aren't prepared to pass or leave enough room to allow drivers of overtaking vehicles to safely pull in in front. Modern cars have brakes that can enable them to stop without leaving a safe disance for overtaking cars to pass one at a time. In contrast to previous posters I find as a driver of well over 50 years a powerful car is very useful for negating this nuisance as well as the self appointed police who speed up when being overtaken. In years gone by the driver of a slow vehicle would wave a following car past when it was safe to do so. Now drivers don't seem to understand hand signals that indicate that it's safe to pass let alone three or four flashes of the nearside indicator on a straight clear stretch of road. the blame for this lies squarely with the current crop of driving instructors. I only ever drive at a speed at which I am happy whether it's in my '31 Austin Seven Chummy or my '04 Jaguar XJ8, if other drivers want to overtake I'm happy to move over wave them past and let them carry on.

I find motorcyclists are particularly grateful for the couple of LH indicator flashes. It signifies you're aware of their presence and raising of the little finger of their left hand as they pass confirms this.

Let's face it, you may as well make it easy for them to pass as they're unlikely to ever hold you up. This doesn't apply to annoying moped riders who seem to think 'carving up' means filtering, but they then can't do more than 30MPH when the limit's higher.

I'm afraid i rarely indicate a left flash for safe overtakes any more...unless by their road behaviour i can tell that the vehicle behind is driven by someone switched on, in which case..

Blame the blame culture, we are instructed on our regular assessments by the company trainer that if we offer any help or encouragement to another road user we can be held at least partly to blame if things go wrong, its just how it is now, i don't like it any more than anyone else but the age of road chivalry if one dare use the word are over, sad indeed.

What i do still do is at night if someone is overtaking if no one is coming the other way i keep the headlights on main and light the road up till they are actually past, then dip, nothing worse than trying to overtake someone who hasn't a clue how to find or use main beams, how they manage to get about on dip alone beats me.

overtaking competently, a lost art? - galileo

What I hate are halfwits who have full beams or very badly adjusted dip beams in dry, sunny weather, quite often with foglamps on as well. 4 x 4s are the worst as their lamps are higher up and better placed to be a distraction in ones mirrors if following you.

Can any motorcyclist explain why they need to have full beam xenons on when they are perfectly visible with dipped ones? Or do they just like dazzling car drivers?

What I hate are halfwits who have full beams ...

Can any motorcyclist explain why they need to have full beam xenons on when they are perfectly visible with dipped ones? Or do they just like dazzling car drivers?

Having been a biker, I suspect that for many, the answer is because a halfwit car driver pulled out on them when the biker only used dipped beam.

When cars were unlit, bikers stood out by using their dipped headlight. Now that every car is lit up at the front, I can understand bikers feeling that they have lost their ability to stand out.

Edited by Marlot on 11/04/2016 at 06:37

Agreed Marlot, on the road we're bombarded by lights 24/7 now and those who should stand out from the throng don't any more, the light wars have done nothing for road safety for those with less than 3 million glittering blinding watts the rest pale into the relative gloom.

It's utterly ludicrous, in my job we have some of the brightest painted tankers on the road yet they are all fited with DRL's, if you can't see one of ours without silly fairy lights showing you shouldn't be out without a white stick, luckily those on my present steed are controllable via the menu so are off.

Amusingly now lights are automated on so many cars, DRL's are all that show in thick daytime fog...who would have imagined that dumbing down would result in dumb drivers.

Edited by gordonbennet on 11/04/2016 at 08:47

Amusingly now lights are automated on so many cars, DRL's are all that show in thick daytime fog...who would have imagined that dumbing down would result in dumb drivers.

I recently pointed out to a driver that he didn't have his lights on. He replied that he did as he could see them on at the front - DRLs. No rear lights!

overtaking competently, a lost art? - concrete

I agree totally with craigpd130, people are so scared to floor the pedal when overtaking. When I was taught (1966) I was told to accelerate as fast as I could to complete the manouvre as quickly as possible, then return to normal speed. I think that so many ordinary motorist have suffered at the behest of 'safety cameras' that they are afraid to exceed the speed limit for a few metres, even when overtaking. An instructor in my local often mentions that most drivers these days are not confident about the overtaking procedure and therefore don't overtake at all. This can be frustrating for more capable drivers behind.

I too now have the same problem as Avant. Living in a rural setting is great, very little traffic, but what there is you have to put up with. Lanes and side roads are quite narrow and passing places are useful but rare.

Having said all that the driver that gordonbennet describes seems like a real bonedome. Not content with getting himself killed he wants to take others with him. Lets hope he never gets his wish.

Cheers Concrete

I agree totally with craigpd130, people are so scared to floor the pedal when overtaking.

I think they're also afraid to use the full rev range. I've, erm, discovered my current cars rev limiter cuts in at around an indicated 80 MPH in third. A previous car would happily rev to over 7K RPM (carb & dizzy, no limiter).

A few drivers have admitted they think they may blow the engine if they go more than halfway up the rev range.

Using a car's full rev range also has the benefits of helping to clear away gunk and other deposits in the engine that can reduce performance, fuel efficiency and possibly reliability over the longer term - the so-called 'Italian tune-up' is a time-honoured way of getting rid of such stuff, as well as having a bit of fun (safely of course)!

Most car manuals actually now say that following the initial run-in period of a new car, when you shouldn't go above a certain rev limit (well below the red line, normally about 3500 - 4000 revs, at least for a petrol engined car), they recommend you 'use the full rev range' for a while so that the car will fully bed in, being able to use the full revs and get the best torque curve, rather than artificially flatten it out because of constant low revs use.

I give my car an 'Italian tune-up' about once every month or two on a nice (normally empty) uphill dual carriageway where I can use the full rev range across all forward gears (except first perhaps) in a safe way. It seems to do the job - my car's engine is as sweet (relatively speaking - it is only a 1.6 normally-aspirated petrol engine with 105bhp!) as it was in year 1 from new. The occasional 'rag it' overtake also serves that purpose, though is more tricky as I live in a more rural area with many dangerous single carriageway roads.

overtaking competently, a lost art? - craig-pd130

Two things at play there - most bike headlights are positioned considerably higher than the headlights in most cars (apart from huge 4x4s and crew-cab trucks). This may make it appear that the lights are on full beam, but they're probably not. Also, the nature of motorbike suspension means the lights may appear to move up & down much more than a car's.

On bikes sold in the UK in the past 10 years, dipped beams are mandatory, there is no 'headlights off' switch at all.

overtaking competently, a lost art? - HandCart

The unfortunate thing is,

that it is very difficult to judge the distance-away, and the speed-of-approach (and sometimes even the position laterally across the road) of a motorbike with its headlight permanently set to main beam.

In my opinion, the result is reduced safety, not increased.

overtaking competently, a lost art? - davemar

Yes, there's nothing worse than being stuck behind someone who's only on dipped lights when they should be using their full beam. Maybe if they put their full beam on they'll be able to see where they're going and go faster.

Something I never see these days are cyclists who wave vehicles past to let them know it is safe to overtake. Am I the only cyclist left who still does this? I always get a thank you wave from drivers when I do this, so it is appreicated. It's much safer to have a faster larger vehicle in front of you where you can see them, than behind you. Many drivers seem very nervous to overtake anything, so the more you can help them the better.

overtaking competently, a lost art? - Bromptonaut

Something I never see these days are cyclists who wave vehicles past to let them know it is safe to overtake. Am I the only cyclist left who still does this? I always get a thank you wave from drivers when I do this, so it is appreicated. It's much safer to have a faster larger vehicle in front of you where you can see them, than behind you. Many drivers seem very nervous to overtake anything, so the more you can help them the better.

No this cyclist does it too. Part of the aim is to confirm I'm prepared for them coming past and OK to hug the kerb while they do. Once they're past it's back to primary/secondary to keep out the gutter clutter zone.

I agree that many drivers either don't have the ability and awareness of other vehicles around them (and issues like holding them up by crawling in formation behind a slow-moving vehicle, making overtaking both [or more if others behind do the same, which is quite often] much more difficult, if not impossible or downright dangerous) or, frankly, don't care about their actions in that regard.

One of my chief complaints about bead driving these days is how little people are aware of of other road users, what's going further than 50m ahead, and especially behind - its like using mirrors is an 'optional extra' for many (either that or they can't multi-task at all [you have to wonder how some of these people ever passed their driving tests!]), as evidenced by the increasing number of idiots pulling out into occupied lanes on dual carriageways/motorways and causing accidents when turning from side roads into/across main roads.

I try as much as possible to be aware of what's going on around my car, so I can pre-empt (as far as possible) any action taken/that may be taken by other road users to help keep things moving and as safely as possible - essentially the act of defensive driving as well as awareness.

Sometimes I've been the car behind the slowish-moving lorry (for example), especially in my previous car (a slow 1 litre Micra), but was always careful to leave enough room (as you say) between my car and the slow vehicle in front in case someone else tried to overtake and couldn't make it all the way past, or just as important, to give my car sufficient room to see round the vehicle in front and give me room to pick up speed should I have the oppotunity to overtake.

Its all rather common sense (not really any special skills on my part), which seems to be lost on a large minority of drivers, and as you say, should've been taught by their driving instructors. I'm glad I was always paying attention as a youngster when my Dad (a good driver) was driving as well as my instructor when I learned to drive later on at 17.

overtaking competently, a lost art? - SteVee

focussed wrote: >>I actually did get reported once and it went back to the driving test centre chief examiner-who happened to be an ex-Hendon police driving and motorcycle instructor, he had a good laugh about it!<<

The motorcycle instructor will have had plenty of practice in teaching overtakes. It's only on the bikes that you get taught how to overtake and the IAM or RoSPA bike courses are worth doing just for their roadcraft skills. The IAM rarely get the chance to teach car drivers how to overtake as they just won't get the right opportunities.

overtaking competently, a lost art? - Ian_SW

Another factor may be that many modern cars feel more powerful in normal use but don't actually have that much extra in reserve, so give the driver overconfidence in the car's performance. Small capacity diesels, often driven by the impatient sales rep are usually the worst for this. They initially seem quite reasonable, until you realise that revving anything over 2500rpm just makes more noise and smoke, rather than power! The only exception I've come across is the 1.5 Renault engine which feels a bit slow in normal use, but (for a diesel) responds well to being revved a bit.

The opposite of this are the Honda VTEC petrol engines, which feel pretty gutless in normal use, but even the most lowly versions in the Jazz respond well when required. Unfortunately the typical owner of a Jazz doesn't make use of it though in the unlikely event of overtaking anything, as he would consider revving above 2000rpm as 'thrashing' the engine.

overtaking competently, a lost art? - DirtyDieselDogg

Meh!

Stoopid is as stoopid does

an

Per the words 'o the "wile handy 'n canny" grizzled & almost toothless Axeman on yer TV Show.

Who certainly warney stupid, despite (probably) generations o inbreeding btw.

"Ye cannt fix stupid"

'n, per the Poission/Bell Curve distriubtion, most of the bulk of the population are stupid (in respect of the cognative facilities required to drive in the modern world)

regards

Marcus

overtaking competently, a lost art? - hillman

The art of overtaking was lost when cars became universally powerful. When Standard 8s and Bullnosed Morrises were the norm roads were not so crowded and overtaking was easy. Now, even the two and three cylinder cars can hold their own with the biggest. When the roads are congested overtaking isn't possible and cars are generally doing the speed limit. You need a country A road and not much traffic to overtake, and then you are doing more than the speed limit afterwards. Anyhow, is overtaking taught at driving schools ?

overtaking competently, a lost art? - hillman

I was once driving a 1.4 litre Golf rental car in Germany with three passengers and had to make it to the airport in time for a flight. I went to overtake a similar car doing abour 50 mph driven by a sun god in singlet and muscles with a beautiful young woman holding a new baby in the front passenger seat. I spent an extrended period next to that beautiful young woman and was able to see the baby too because the sun god matched everything I did, accelerating to 75 and slowing to 20; he just would not let me pass or tuck in behind him. As it was a two lane motorway I and my passengers were quite nervous. Then we were almost past an exit junction and I saw the BYW snap at the SG and he realised that they were passing their junction and turned off over the rumble strips.

overtaking competently, a lost art? - davecooper

I live in a rural area and as such, not much need for overtaking except for slow farm machinery. I would argue that overtaking such vehicles safely on winding single carriageway roads is a lot different to overtaking at speed on a straight road. The queue of traffic behind will expect you to overtake but you need to judge everything right as you may well be overtaking from 10mph or less and you need to match any opportunity with the abilities of you car.

In some ways, overtaking 'old style' farm vehicles was far easier than modern ones - they were smaller and far slower, which meant they often pulled in on lay-bys or you easily had time to overtake without needing to redline it.

Nowadays, many farmers (including round where I live, in NW Herts/Cambridgeshire border) have huge JCBs which can easily do 40 or 50mph, making overtaking more difficult - far less think of pulling over to let the inevitable long line of traffic past, which means if a loaded-up van or bus/coach/lorry gets behind them everyone else will get stuck also all the way until one/both turn off.

It hasn't helped where daft left-wing councils drop speed limits (think it'll slow down the real speeders who do 80 in a 60 zone, etc), so you're left deciding whether to stick behind a farm vehicle doing 40 in a 50 zone or temporarily break the speed limit by 10mph+ to pass quickly and safely. People who really (danagerously) speed still do so; everyone else just takes longer to get from A to B or take more risks when overtaking. Nice.

overtaking competently, a lost art? - catsdad
Spain has got this one right. You are allowed to exceed the limit to effect an overtake.
overtaking competently, a lost art? - concrete
Spain has got this one right. You are allowed to exceed the limit to effect an overtake.

Simples. QED.

Concrete

overtaking competently, a lost art? - focussed

Highway code Rule 163.

Hmmm- as usual in the UK -open to interpretation-

• move quickly past the vehicle you are overtaking, once you have started to overtake. Allow plenty of room. Move back to the left as soon as you can but do not cut in
overtaking competently, a lost art? - Wukl

Valuing my licence and knowing my luck (!) I must admit I don't overtake nearly as often as I used to. But this evening coming home from work another problem came to light that just exacerbated the dilemma. Part of my route was on a very straight and long stretch of single carriageway A-road. It has a lot of blind dips and so has frequent double white lines. So tonight, a Polo was doing 45-55mph, varying speed too much at - as far as I was concerned - non-existent hazards. Ordinarily, I would have gone past them; I'd judged them (rightly or wrongly) either drunk or incompetent, either way not someone I want to be anywhere near on the road. But between me and the VW were a Transit, a Caravelle, a Megane, an HRV and an Aygo. I couldn't blame the Aygo or the two vans for not trying an overtake given the marginal opportunities with their modest acceleration. Eventually the HRV did get by but there was no way I was going to do, because all five were concertinaed into a continuous queue. To overtake one would have meant overtaking all five/six in one go, or barging into gaps I felt were too small and would have lead to some frantic braking. My dad taught me that if you didn't want to overtake someone, hang back so others could come past as they desired. This consideration seems to be another lost art. Rather than get frustrated, I just dropped back and accepted the inevitable.

overtaking competently, a lost art? - davemar

I'm sure there's a overtaker's sod's law. You'll be stuck behind someone going very slowly through miles of twisty roads (where overtaking is impossible) with nothing coming the other way. As soon as you get to a nice straight bit of road, you get yourself poised for the overtake, but sod's law will dictate someone will be finally coming the other way.

overtaking competently, a lost art? - davecooper

I'm sure there's a overtaker's sod's law. You'll be stuck behind someone going very slowly through miles of twisty roads (where overtaking is impossible) with nothing coming the other way. As soon as you get to a nice straight bit of road, you get yourself poised for the overtake, but sod's law will dictate someone will be finally coming the other way.

It's the same law that applies when you are trying to turn right at a junctiion. When there is a gap in one direction, there is traffic in the other and vice versa.

overtaking competently, a lost art? - Wukl

Or, having finally overtaken them about quarter of a mile later your see their inevitable "I'm turning off" indicator in your rear view mirror...

Edited by Wukl on 14/04/2016 at 20:23

Many years ago I came up behind a dear lady driver on a dual carriageway travelling at 50 ish mph who despite having an empty left hand lane ignored my continuous offside indicator. I then indicated left as if going to pass her on the inside, as I started to move over as expected she did the same and having made sure it was safe to do so well before hand when she did this I quickly moved to the outside lane and overtook her much to her annoyance. In other words I threw her a dummy. This has worked really well when others have behaved in the same way. Catch 'em by surprise but do be careful.

Many years ago I came up behind a dear lady driver on a dual carriageway travelling at 50 ish mph who despite having an empty left hand lane ignored my continuous offside indicator. I then indicated left as if going to pass her on the inside, as I started to move over as expected she did the same and having made sure it was safe to do so well before hand when she did this I quickly moved to the outside lane and overtook her much to her annoyance. In other words I threw her a dummy. This has worked really well when others have behaved in the same way. Catch 'em by surprise but do be careful.

Merc E-class doing the same on the A5 today - driving at 60 in lane 2 (of2) but moves over to lane 1 to let me overtake, without any prompting, but then moves back to lane 2 once I'm past - I could see in my mirror they did the same to two more cars.

WTF is going on in their mind ?

Edited by RT on 14/04/2016 at 22:29

Merc E-class doing the same on the A5 today - driving at 60 in lane 2 (of2) but moves over to lane 1 to let me overtake, without any prompting, but then moves back to lane 2 once I'm past - I could see in my mirror they did the same to two more cars.

If you use the A43 around Silverstone especially northbound side, you'll stay in the outside lane if possible.

Seeing as i'm in the lorry i'm stuck in the inside lane but tend to run right up to the verge with the nearside wheels so don't have to put myself or the lorry through the pounding from broken gouges and potholes that litter that whole section (again), by straddling the worse parts...they're in the process of bodging them up again now.

Can't imagine why the roads are so broken up, back in the 70's and early 80's they assured us that 5/6 axle lorries running at 38 then tons (later increased to 44) were warm cuddly things that did far less road damage than 32 tonners on 4 axles, course they were telling the truth, the powers that be always do..:-)

Edited by gordonbennet on 14/04/2016 at 23:57

Seeing as i'm in the lorry i'm stuck in the inside lane but tend to run right up to the verge with the nearside wheels so don't have to put myself or the lorry through the pounding from broken gouges and potholes that litter that whole section (again), by straddling the worse parts...they're in the process of bodging them up again now.

www.fixmystreet.com/

Works wonders round here. I reported some on Tuesday (didn't know about the government initiative, honest guv!), had paint around them next day.

Cheers BT, i've just used that link to report the Belgian paving course, sorry my mistake, Rockingham Road in Kettering, will keep an eye out see if any chaps appear, it's not particularly pot hole fixing, about 1/2 mile needs completely resurfacing and has done for a decade or more.

overtaking competently, a lost art? - Bolt

>about 1/2 mile needs completely resurfacing and has done for a decade or more.<

So does most of the country, so called pothole filling is totally daft as its back to normal within days (if not hours)

so many accidents are being caused by these, where drivers are trying to avoid but going into the path of oncoming cars causing either a near miss or a hit

As for overtaking, I was told by a relative that a new Corsa they bought (also in process of selling) was so gutless on motorway they dare not overtake because the car takes an age to accelerate,(possibly applies to other motors)

And the main reason for selling is it lacks power, 1.0- 3cyl 2014, used to have golf 1.4- also the corsa was not as economical as made out

Indeed - a lot of 'ordinary' cars, mainly those built in the 2000-2010 decade, are gutless in terms of mid-range acceleration - I think partly because the manufacturers kept mucking about with the engine mapping to fit the stupid UK/EU rules on CO2 emissions, for example with my car (mk1 Mazda3 1.6 petrol) they 'upgraded' essentially the same engine twice over the life of the mk1, through the 'refreshed' mk1.5 in mid-2006 to the mk2 in 2009 at the expense of performance, as follows:

Version (1.6p) / Power (PS) / 0-60mph time (s) / CO2 emissions (g/km)

mk1 / 105 / 11.1 / 172

mk1.5 / 105 / 11.3 / 162

mk2 / 105 / 12.2 / 144

Things seem to have improved of late with many makes introducing small turbo-petrol engines that give good mid-range acceleration without much (if at all) of a fuel efficiency penalty compared to these cars, plus Mazda and one or two others going down the weight-saving normally-aspirated route (the closest mk3 in terms of performance being the basic 1.5p [100PS / 0-60mph in 10.8 sec / 119g/km], easily bettering the 'old' 1.6p on all meaningful fronts).

That does mean there's lots of 'refreshed model' cars out there that aren't very handy at overtaking; this may also include some newer 'eco' diesel cars with tiny engines that really struggle when more than 2 people are carried.

Of course, it doesn't help that many people don't drop back to give themselves a good run to pick up speed by the time they actually pull out to overtake - an art many have not picked up from those instructing them or friends/family members, possibly because they do own more powerful cars that do have more than enough grunt to just pull out and easily pass.

Please no one remind me about 3 cyl Corsa, i had the misfortune to collect these by the hundred, BSM defleets, if you didn't get a run up they wouldn't climb the lorry deck at all, not alone in this of course and it isn't a new thing by any means, first car i encountered so utterly gutless and geared NOT to suit the gutless engine was the mk4/5 Escort with the 1.4 lean burn engine, a dire vehicle indeed, some surprisingly expensive high image machinery sold much more recently with little to no useful torque.

I'd rather walk.

Edited by gordonbennet on 15/04/2016 at 10:56

Please no one remind me about 3 cyl Corsa, i had the misfortune to collect these by the hundred, BSM defleets, if you didn't get a run up they wouldn't climb the lorry deck at all, not alone in this of course and it isn't a new thing by any means, first car i encountered so utterly gutless and geared NOT to suit the gutless engine was the mk4/5 Escort with the 1.4 lean burn engine, a dire vehicle indeed, some surprisingly expensive high image machinery sold much more recently with little to no useful torque.

I'd rather walk.

My Dad had Ford Escorts (company car) with that engine - the worst being a early 90s 1.4LX with the said gutless 'lean burn' engine - downright dangerous if you ask me, it was even slower than the car it replaced (which presumably was a bit lighter and hadn't been 'altered' to run solely on unleaded petrol).

On one occasion, my Dad was driving the family to Watford to go shopping, and we had a very near miss just trying to get onto a large roundabout, just because the car had no go in it (75bhp only). Overtaking was a very rare event in that car, and probably put my Mum off overtaking as a result.

I delivered hundreds of the things at the time, the 1.3 and 1.4 manual choked models around the same time were fine within reason, why the lean burn was so utterly hopeless must have take a special talent to design them that bad, the best one was the 1.8 which was the engine that car should have had from day one, effortless and economical because it was on top of the job.

Andy, the thought of overtaking with the thing fills one with confidence...if you fast forward to the present day that's the type of useable power in relation we have to get out on roundabouts in modern lorries @ 44t, coupled with an automated manual box just in case you thought a few quick gearchanges would help alleviate the utter awfulness of them..:-) welcome to my world

Edited by gordonbennet on 15/04/2016 at 11:41

I suppose though I'd rather be (relatively) cuc***ed in a high-up cab of an artic lorry rather than sitting in the RH rear passenger seat in my Dad's old Escort (fortunately now long gone [they have a spritely 1.25 Fiesta nowadays]) where muggins would sit, along with whoever was driving, the first to be hit by oncoming traffic on the roundabout (especially that day)!

The problem for that car was that it was gutless in the first two gears at least, probably the first 3!

The method of overtaking depends on two things, the length of clear road and the available bhp available to complete the manoeuvre. The power or lack of it of the overtaking car is criticall. Those whose cars are well endowed in the power department don't have a problem. Others who drive cars that are lacking in this respect need to be more circumspect and the best approach is to hang back and not give any indication that they want to pass and then when the opportunity arises make sure that sufficient speed has been built up to catch the driver of the nuisance vehicle unawares. I learnt this tactic in the '70s when I against my better judgement I was persuaded to buy a Citroen Dyane 6 which was quickly replaced with a Triumph Vitesse, however this mistake has stood me in good stead as I use the same technique when driving my classic cars which could otherwise be left to hang out to dry.