Recommendations for a used car without air con sme - curious jim

I was reading an Honest John answer to a query about air con smell; he said that some cars are worse than others.

I have only owned two cars: 1, A 2000 reg Polo. 2, A 2007 used Prius. The former had no air con and thus gave me no such smell for 10 years of use. However I bought the Prius from a Toyota dealer last year and they bought it back from me 9 months later because they could not get rid of the smell. They had it cleaned out multiple times and it did reduce the smell but the mould and bacteria remained in the system. I got it tested by a mould expert who said that the levels were near dangerous. This is why the dealer took it back.

Now I didn’t mind the smell but it was causing me major breathing problems. I have Asthma and even when the smell was very slight I couldnt breathe. I tried many many of the solutions that were recommended to me but nothing worked to remove the mould.

So now I want to buy a car again. I liked the Prius but I fear that I will get the same problems. One garage told me that ALL modern cars have these problems and you have to keep cleaning them out. This is not something that my health can deal with.

So what are my options? Should I buy a car with no air con? Or was I just unlucky with that Pruis?

Can you recommend any cars that have less air con smells than others?

Recommendations for a used car without air con sme - RT

All my cars with a/c have it switched on all year round - have had a new cabin filter every 10,000 miles, despite some brands advertising 20,000 or more - and regularly check that the condensate drain isn't blocked - never had a problem, and I would know as I have asthma and COPD.

I don't buy that "all modern cars have these problems" but too many people think it consumes enormous amounts of energy so only use it on the hottest days and the cabin filter is a PITA to change on some cars so often omitted by some garages, including main dealers.

So use it all year, it gets rid of excess humidity in spring/autumn as well as heat in summer - change the cabin filter regularly - check the condensate drain regularly - simples!

Recommendations for a used car without air con sme - concrete

I agree with RT. My car has climate control and I keep it on Auto all year round, just set the required temperature, which keeps the AC in use and less liable to a build up of detritus. It also clears any condensation quickly. I also have the filters changed at the service intervals. Never had a problem and certainly no smells. SWMBO is a match for sniffer dogs at Heathrow, so no doubt she would alert me to any nasty odours. AC is not the power drain that some believe. It is certainly more economical to run at an even temperature, rather than driving with the windows open and the circulation fan on full blast, drawing in warm air!!!

Cheers Concrete

Recommendations for a used car without air con sme - Avant

I think you were unlucky with that Prius. Find another one and test drive it: I've never heard that Toyotas have a particular smell. The dealer would have been quick to say 'they all do that' if that was the case.

Recommendations for a used car without air con sme - Wackyracer

I would have thought that using one of the many available air con cleaning products available would have dealt with the problem.

Recommendations for a used car without air con sme - slkfanboy

I think this is a complex one to answer. In some cases ac can improve matters as dust and pollen is removed by the filters and mosture is removed.

Keeping the air system correctly maintain is important. as others have said, you cant be sure the filters are being changed. Mold can form is the system is not regularly use.

Recommendations for a used car without air con sme - RobJP

Much like RT and concrete, my BMW's aircon is left continually in the 'auto' position. I've done this with all my cars for the last 20 years, and never had any problems / loss of coolant / mould, etc.

You may well have just been unlucky with the individual car. Unfortunately, some people will heavily skimp on using aircon - especially if on a 'green' car, as they're trying to get the absolute best fuel economy for every penny they put into it.

Recommendations for a used car without air con sme - Wackyracer

I did read somewhere that it was a good idea to run the aircon with the heater in the hot position for some time to dry out the ducting and kill germs.

I use the aircon all the time, winter or summer. Aircon is great to demist screens on a cold winters morning.