Dacia Duster - After 6 months looking, I took the plunge - diddy1234

And ordered a brand new Duster 1.5 Dci 4x2 in Laurette trim with Media nav and 5 year warranty.

Plus I ordered the 4 year serivicing extra.

What with £750 dealer dicount, 5 year warranty chucked in and then I played my party trick and showed the deals I was offered on wow car for the same car and asked if they would match it.

The dealer chooped another £300 off the list price. Not a lot I know but at bargain car levels £300 helps.

Prior to buying, I took a demo car for a test drive and was impressed with the amount of torque from the 1.5l Dci engine. pulls lovelly even in 6th gear and the turning circle.

After the Kia Rio diesel the Duster is surprisingly refined on the road. no boy racer car but then it's not is it ?

So now I have a two week wait. It's going to be a long two weeks. Have I danced with the devil ? lol

Dacia Duster - After 6 months looking, I took the plunge - daveyK_UK

Good bargain car, they sell in large numbers on the continent.

The 1.5 diesel is used in numerous vehicles manufactured by mercedes, nissan, dacia and renault.

I love how the Duster ride over speed humps, its also great at soaking up pot holes.

Dacia Duster - After 6 months looking, I took the plunge - focussed

Good bargain car, they sell in large numbers on the continent.

The 1.5 diesel is used in numerous vehicles manufactured by mercedes, nissan, dacia and renault.

I love how the Duster ride over speed humps, its also great at soaking up pot holes.

They had better be the way that the French approach speed humps - they treat every one as a challenge to find out if they can get the car airborne.

The honest John review had me biased and then driving one kind of set the deal.

however, this dealer was the thrid dealer I had been too.

The previous two dealers were either not interested, rude or obnoxious.

If these other two dealers were like this about selling a brand new car, what would they be like come service time or god forbid...... something went wrong.

Fortunatley the dealer I walked into today couldnt be more helpfull. answering every question I asked and even if they didn't know there and then, when I returned later on had the answers for me.

We all part with hard earned money at the end of the day so why not expect a decent bit of service in return ?

Dacia Duster - After 6 months looking, I took the plunge - KB.

What colour, Diddy?

Presumably you started at the nearest one to your home and they were one of the unsatisfactory ones?...and I imagine you then went to the next nearest...etc.

Which begs the question...who will service it? Obviously it's not too far away or is somewhere convenient. What form did the bad manners and poor reception at the first two showrooms take? And did you express your disapproval to them? I hope you did.

In Exeter Dacia shared showroom space with Hyundai and Renault but they've now taken over the Hyundai bit (Hyundai have moved on to a bigger glass palace up the road)...so presumably they (Dacia as well as Hyundai) are doing well.

I didn't know there was any discount to be had...I always thought that was set in stone...i.e. reasonable pricing but no discount?

Hi KB

I quite liked the basic white colour so went with that (since the rust issue should now be cured on the white versions).

I did indeed got to the nearest ones then worked my way further out.

However, there is not much difference in it as all required about 30 mins drive (none really near me).

But the most friendliest dealer is nearer to my work which would be handy for getting the car serviced.

In terms of bad manners, it was comments along the lines of 'you dont want that colour. its a girls colour' to things like 'you will want this and you will want that' etc.

Then there was the non-existant brush off answers to the car and then the high pressure sales of 'would you make a deal today if everything is ok'.

I like to think things over first before commiting to anything and get the other halfs view as well (in private away from the dealer).

Also taking a break and popping back is the best way to go as the dealer feels he has to work that bit harder at getting the deal done.

Hence leading into your last question, as the dealer was making the deal.

I logged onto wow car and had a few deals lined up on my phone. Just before he was going to hit me with the price I showed him what offers I had from other garages and he then done a bit more typing on his pc and then said he cant match the best deal (saving of £780) but would knock £300 off.

I knew Dacia's are reluctant to move on price (possibly a low mark up for a cheaper car) but all car dealers can budge on price even if it's only a couple of hundred pounds.

The £300 I saved was negated by my option of the media nav car entertainment system so in effect I got that for free if looking at it another way

Edited by diddy1234 on 24/03/2016 at 23:37

I'm doing my impressions of "Twenty Questions" here...so, if I may, I'll enquire if you went for extended warranty or service plans...both look reasonable from what I recall.

Obviously you checked out the (numerous) posts concerning rust on early models and you're now confident that now they've moved production from India to Romania they've sorted that issue?

Do they keep them in the UK or will your order be fulfilled from the factory?

That's enough quizzing for now...although I'm sure there could be more :-)

OOPS...just spotted your reply above....apologies. Ta for quick response.

Edited by KB. on 24/03/2016 at 23:45

No problem ask away.

I am sure there are other potential owners that would benefit from my experience.

I did a lot of searching the web before settling on the Duster and a few owners said the same thing that since the revised model (with the better looking grill) none had issues with rust. also the time when manufacturing was taken back to Romania.

The deal that Dacia are doing at the moment is £750 dealer contribution and 5 year warranty for free if the higher spec is ordered (check Dacia web site). I then optionally chose the 4 year servicing to be added along with the Media Nav entertainment system.

I did think about either the touring pack or the servicing deal but the servicing deal won me over

The one I have ordered is currently in France (some holding area ?) and until today did not have a registration.

It's now been reserved to be delivered within two weeks.

I did have the option to wait a bit longer and get one made from the factory but that would incur a price hike as all dusters are going to be retailed about £400 more expensive from April onwards (not that I knew that until today).

Edited by diddy1234 on 24/03/2016 at 23:54

Right you are and ta muchly for the openness and quick replies.

If they're going up soon then you clearly picked the right time especially as you get it so quickly. The warranty and service plan all add to the attraction.

Hope that all works out well.

If they did an auto. I could be tempted so am often looking to see if that changes.

Thanks again and good luck....hope to hear of your progress in due course.

Dacia Duster - After 6 months looking, I took the plunge - johnnyrev
We are a few weeks into owning a Dacia Logan Laureate and couldn't be happier! Sounds like we had a similar deal, around a grand off list price after we added media nav, metallic paint and spare wheel, plus the 5 year warranty which was a nice addition.

We also had the same disinterest from our nearest dealer. We've not driven far yet but at the moment it's difficult to tell where costs have been saved. It goes well, stops well, is comfy, frugal, and roomy. Nothing about it says that it is a cheap car. The dash might be a bit plain and simple, but with the media nav it has lots of toys and everything works very well.

Under the bonnet everything says Renault or Nissan, and I have had lots of positive comments asking what it is. A colleague recently bought a Skoda Yeti for double what the Logan cost and I think he's wishing he looked at Dacia a bit harder!

Good luck with your Duster, I'm sure it will be really good!

KB, I jst found out that the Autobox version is for sale in Europe along with the renault 1.2l TCE engine.

Maybe at soem point we will get them here too.

However be warned, the Autobox is an automated manual geafbox so I am not sure how well they work and last.

Also in India, people can buy the Duster with Climate control, why not here ?

I would have gone for that version

Thanks for the info.

Picked up the Duster today.

Suprisingly refined (not by deisgn just because the car is higher up and further away from the wheels).

and decptivly quick too. 50mph comes up quickly (even taking it easy not to rev over 2,500 rpm).

Cruise control and speed limiter work a treat. its going to take me a while to get used to this new feature.

love the higher seating position but then I also drive a Sedona so already used to this.

Media Nav sound system works very well and bluetooth works great.

Almost a year on and no problems at all.

Averaging 47Mpg calculated per tank full but I do use the cruise control on long A roads and Motorway.

There must be something good about these cars as a friend of mine has just brought a Dacia Stepway 1.5Dci brand new (revised model).

Also starting to see a few more Dacia's on the road up my way

Dacia Duster - After 6 months looking, I took the plunge - focussed

There are a lot about over here in NW France - usually see around half a dozen at least in the supermarket car park on a Saturday - I don't know any of the locals with one so can't give you any comments.

Dacia Duster - After 6 months looking, I took the plunge - SLO76
I like them and backs up what I said many years ago that there's a strong market there for a simple no nonsense car at a bargain price if it's based on tried and tested technology.

The Dacia range is based on the previous generation Renault Clio, the Duster used a stretched version of that same chassis design and also the well tried and pretty robust (if serviced correctly) engines from the Renault Clio/Megane/Nissan Qashqai.

I still think they're missing a trick by not introducing a larger saloon/hatch/estate based on the Megane or Laguna that could pick up a hell of a lot of taxi sales if it uses the hardy (again if looked after properly) 1.5dci engine and is priced well, especially now Skoda have moved so far away from their cheap transport market position and the small Dokker van would sell like hot cakes if they imported it.
Dacia Duster - After 6 months looking, I took the plunge - oldroverboy.
Especially now Skoda have moved so far away from their cheap transport market position and the small Dokker van would sell like hot cakes if they imported it.

It is hard to beat the frenchspanish/portugeuse pricing on the Dokker van.

The Lodgy would give a few manufacturers if sold here too!

Dokker 9490 euros

Lodgy 9990 euros

But is the rise of Dacia iin the k fueling the decline in Renauly sales?

Edited by oldroverboy. on 02/02/2017 at 07:57

Dacia Duster - After 6 months looking, I took the plunge - FoxyJukebox

I'm suspicious, Does the service plan charge include both the labour AND the materials used eg oil, the filter, the plugs etc plus any necessary minor fair wear and tear items?

I'd love to watch somebody servicing a new'ish car...I bet they just change the oil, re-set the service "clock", stamp the book, put the vehicle through a car wash, put a plastic cover on the driver's seat( to make it look like a bloke with overalls has sat on it?) ....

I am led to believe that the serice plan takes care of everything or so I was told when I took up the offer at the time of buying the car.

I guess I will find out soon enough as I have a month before it's due and just under 2,500 miles to go

Dacia Duster - After 6 months looking, I took the plunge - FoxyJukebox

Do please report/feeback on your first service and your assumed all inclusive costs. Sounds like you have a good deal. good.

will do.

Dacia Duster - After 6 months looking, I took the plunge - tourantass
I would buy one tommorow if they did a "propor" automatic.

early days yet with the Renault sourced Automated Manual gearbox.

I will see how reliable they are in 3 years time (when I change mine) and possibly go for the 1.2l auto

Have you had it long enough to decide if you're happy with the transmission? You haven't, by any chance, driven any DSG equipped vehicles have you ?? It would be an interesting comparison. It took a while for them to fit an auto box into the Duster and I'm guessing they'd have given it some thought. In other countries, where conditions are harsher, the (manual) Duster, presumably, stands up to whatever is chucked at it.... I wonder if they fit the auto box in such, less hospitable, places?

(Before anyone says it - I regard that type of transmission as "Auto" and not a robotised manual).

The big fly in the ointment (for me, anyway) is the three star NCAP result. I'm just not at all sure I want my Mrs. driving a 3 Star car when so many others are five....and the NCAP site shows a bit too much 'orange' in the diagram depicting liability to injury to the front seat occupants. However, I agree the NCAP video doesn't look dreadful and suggests it was more the absence of safety features rather than actual structural weaknesses.

I could be wrong but the NCAP crash tests chopped a mark off the Duster because the base spec car didnt come with electronic stability (other trim levels did).

Now the stability control is standard across the range.

It was also marked down for the pedestrian protection too.

Regarding the Autobox, I know that it's being sold on the Dusters there but not so sure about Dusters in Russia and South America (yes they are sold there too - mainly under the Renault badge).

Regarding DSG automatics, no sorry I have not driven any of those cars.

Edited by diddy1234 on 02/02/2017 at 15:19

All noted. Ta.

Hi Doublebug.

I have booked the duster in for it's first service a week Thusday.

I asked on the phone if there was any additional costs as I do have a service plan (brought at the time of buying the car for £500) and they said no. not at all as it's covered.

So I just turn up and wait two hours. plus they are going to clean the car inside and out as well.

The car has been brilliant over the past 12,000 miles. nothing, not a thing has gone wrong

The Duster had it's service today and I can confirm no extra charges and the car was cleaned inside and out as well.

Service done at 12169 miles and can confirm the engine is alot quieter.

Checking the service sheet shows that it HAS had an oil and oil filter change too.

When I asked the service personal, they said they dont have many Dacia's on their books with a service agreement. Dacia owners are not purchasing an extra service agreement either because they dont know they could buy one or have no intention of getting them serviced at a Renault dealer.

Dacia Duster - After 6 months looking, I took the plunge - joegrundy

My son has a Sandero 1.2 ambience he bought in July 2015 - he got the 5 year warranty at no charge and included the 3 year servicing package.

His first service, last August (I think) included oil and filter change, fluid top-ups, etc. No charges for 'consumables', nothing to pay.

No problems to report, no complaints so far, and the car is getting better as it 'beds in'. I continue to be impressed. The new model (which includes a/c) seems to be even better value.

Dacia Duster - After 6 months looking, I took the plunge - daveyK_UK

Logan MCV Stepway out in September

looks very interesting, not common for an estate to get the cladding and raised driving height.