ford fiesta - Spare Wheels - efad2

Whilst checking tye pressures on my wifes fiesta I thought I had better check the spare and noticed it was a different size to the road wheels

There are 4 195x55x15 and the spare is 175x65x14

Is this leagle/safe to use and will it cause problems when the MOT is due in12mths tme

ford fiesta - Spare Wheels - RobJP

Yes, it is legal.

No, it will not cause problems come MOT time

ford fiesta - Spare Wheels - efad2

Thanks for the reply I supose it will still drive better than a spacesaver so I am happy with that

ford fiesta - Spare Wheels - galileo

You have checked that the bolt holes are in the right place i.e. that it would fit?

ford fiesta - Spare Wheels - gordonbennet

Sound advice from Galileo, just in case.

it's not unusual for the correct non space saver spare to be a different size from wide alloys, but unscrupulous people have been known to swap a (usually rental) choice spare for some odd thing they happen to have lying around.

ford fiesta - Spare Wheels - Galaxy

My Mark 2 Mondeo was exactly the same. It had four alloy wheels but the spare was steel and it was a different size.

However, what matters is the overall size, i.e. wheel with tyre fitted, and this was the same.

The fixing nuts weren't ideal for the steel wheel but they worked. They were actually shaped to fit the alloy wheels, and the mounting holes in the steel wheel were of a different shape. But I never had any problems on the rare occasions I used it. I think, for this reason, the spare had an advisory 50mph speed limit imposed on it.

Thats interesting Galaxy about the wheelnuts.

I've found two scenarios with this, if there's a steel spare it wil either have welded-in collars on the wheelbolt holes so the alloy bolts fit (PSA do this), or a second set of standard often shorter steel wheelbolts usually found in the locking wheel nut pack.

Were the correct wheelbolts missing i wonder.

ford fiesta - Spare Wheels - jc2

Ford state that on most of their vehicles the nuts or bolts used on alloy wheels can be used to secure steel wheels but not the other way round.

ford fiesta - Spare Wheels - Galaxy

gordonbennet,

You don't get any alternative nuts to use with the steel wheel, Ford tell you to use the same ones as for the alloys. To be perfectly honest, I was never 100% happy with this arrangement because you can clearly see the nuts don't fit the steel wheel holes correctly, but Ford say it's OK!

I always had in mind to puchase a set of steel wheel nuts, specifically for use with the steel spare wheel, but never got round to it.

jc2 is correct.

ford fiesta - Spare Wheels - jc2

Yes;the steel wheels use the bottom of the bolt/nut which is the same profile as a steel wheel nut and and alloy uses the free-spinning outer nut which fits the alloy wheel.

Ah, Ford do it the other way to PSA then with dual purpose bolts, with the same end result, well done them, less for an owner to have to think about or faff about with changing a flat in typical never handy circumstances.

Longer bolts are more of a worry for cars with drum inside disc parking brakes, too long a bolt and you can end up mashing the parking brake mechanism up, i don't think PSA or Ford use the disc within drum parking brake, except maybe on the odd rebadged model...one such could be Pug 4007 which *may* have drum inside disc, previous Outlander does so possible.