New Focus RS - Ben 10
I have a Focus ST3 and was looking forward to the release of the new RS. So I enquired with Trustford as to where I could view one in the flesh.

I was sent some pics and a price list. I then got a call from a manager asking if someone had been in touch. He said one was not available to view, and that as they were getting orders without viewings, there wouldn't be a chance to get in one for a few months.

Then I queried the price. Okay £29995 I'd pay that. But with the extras fitted to bring it up to spec with my ST3, bumped the price up to £33,185. I questioned this price and that I could get a Honda Type R with all the kit cheaper. I wondered whether they would throw in the extras to get my repeat custom. No. If you don't want to pay the full wack, then go get your Type R was the response.

Considering I've been a loyal customer with the Ford brand for years, I thought that was a big kick in the teeth on their part. There is no loyalty to customers anymore. There was no, see what we can do from him. Take it or leave it.

I know there are mugs who will buy because it's the new RS, and Ford are relying on this, but they shouldn't just dismiss their core buyers at a whim.

Well Ford, I'm leaving it. I've "Unlearned" a lesson.

Edited by Ben 10 on 10/03/2016 at 11:00

New Focus RS - RobJP

Why on earth should they treat you as 'special' in some way, if they can sell all of the cars at full price ?

They might have 1000 customers like you, repeat buyers. If they've got 500 cars, that makes it quite simple : at full price, first come first served.

New Focus RS - daveyjp

Agree with RobJP. They are limited produciton vehicles and demand will no doubt outstrip supply.

To check this look at online brokers. If they can't get a deal you won't be getting one direct from a dealership.

New Focus RS - Ben 10
But don't you think they're taking the P by adding almost 4K of extras to make this different from the ST3 even with 4K on top of the list price of the ST as it is.

I've said Id pay the OTR price but that would be a waste of time without the extras, I've already got. They're making enough on the ticket price and the parts and servicing over time. Why they just can't include the extras in the price is beyond me. But if they don't what's wrong with a concession in some form.

Whereas Honda don't do it. As I said, Honda have a limited edition too, but they're not being as greedy. Which means they're treating their buyers with a little respect.

You're right. They don't owe me F all. But if you buy high ticket items regularly, you expect a little concession somewhere. Many high end retailers reward loyalty even the smaller businesses do it.
Blimey even your local landlord buys you the odd pint for being a regular.

Just think Ford are being a bit sniffy. That's all.

And I can take my wad somewhere else. Just saying. :-)

Edited by Ben 10 on 10/03/2016 at 13:19

New Focus RS - TedCrilly

"But don't you think they're taking the P by adding almost 4K of extras to make this different from the ST3 even with 4K on top of the list price of the ST as it is"

Not in the slightest, Ford are in it to make money, not give it away. And whats more they will still make money even if you take your sour grapes over to Honda.

New Focus RS - scot22

Premiership football clubs have finally put a limit on tickets for away games. If buyers decide to vote with their feet the car dealers will have to amend their prices.

As with many things there is not enough information. A logical argument has been put forward for no reduction : why don't dealers share figures ? Surely it should be a partnership. Buyers want dealers to stay in business : dealers should want customers to get a good deal.

Unfortunately I've never had a good deal. Armed with more information which I've learned from the site, next time will be different.

New Focus RS - Avant

As others have said, it's a matter of supply and demand. When the RS is no longer such a new model, and demand slackens, more discounts will be available.

Also bear in mind that what discounts there are, are usually given on the basic price of the car. Optional extras are often not subject to the discount, and so can bump up the price by more than you might be expecting.

New Focus RS - slkfanboy

Well you can by a 1.0t Focus and a lovely little 3 year old roadster TT/Z4 etc like me. Well i have a 1.6 Fcous and a 5.5l Merc slk for the weekend. RS and VW Rtype are simply vastly over priced.

New Focus RS - catsdad
I can see the OP's point but also the logic of the comments to date. If it were me I wouldn't try to deal over the phone. Face to face is much better. I still don't think significant movement will be achievable but you may get something. Also the usual advice applies in terms of cost to change. If trading in he might get a better deal at Ford than Honda. Either way it's a step you need to take.

Finally there is a new standard Civic out next year. I am not sure if the old shape will continue for a while afterwards or not but either way the Honda is likely to date faster.
New Focus RS - slkfanboy

I suspect saying the honda was cheaper will have little or no impact. The Honda Type R spec is good for a few years ago but has not kept pace with the front runners. The limited supply of the RS verse demand give him the upper hand.

New Focus RS - Engineer Andy

However, with a little nosing around you can buy a slightly slower Golf GTi Nav+Performance Pack (effectively new with delivery miles only) at a whopping £7k off the list price (£30k) at Motorpoint. I suspect VW are at present desparately trying to shift cars any way they can during their 'annus horribilus' period. I doubt if most drivers would notice the difference in performance between that and an 'R' model.