VW Polo 1.2 petrol Match 13 plate - Buying a new car - Imy1

Hi all, considering the above model car for swmbo. Currently own a 06 plate 1.4 polo which has been faultless, but at 81k its getting a bit long in the tooth. Wifey only does about 4k a year if that so has to be petrol.

Does anyone have the above car? Any experiences? good or bad? anything to avoid? engine issues? common problems?

I have vcds and know my way round a passat (own a 4motion) but the new vw's lets just say arent exactly the same build quality as older ones.

Dont want to buy a newer polo and it turns out to be a money pit :(

The proposed car has 1 previous owner, vw service history at 31k miles. Priced at 7k

Any thoughts advice appreciated. (also asked HJ for his insight in the car)

VW Polo 1.2 petrol Match 13 plate - Buying a new car - brum

Personally I don't why you would want to do such a change especially as the car is hardly ever used. If the newer car is the 3 pot engine it will be noisier, less economical and slower than the older 1.4. And you would be changing a "faultless" car for an unknown quantity.

Note that 07 onwards requires newer hex can diagnostics. If you have a cheap vcds setup (eg eBay) it won't work on the newer car.

Edited by brum on 04/03/2016 at 12:05

VW Polo 1.2 petrol Match 13 plate - Buying a new car - RobJP

I can only really suggest you go here :

www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/volkswagen/polo-v-20...d

though the 'what's bad' list is horrifically wrong, and probably enough to scare you away from wanting one !

I've got the full blown official vcds, not an ebay cheap clone :)

I read that page Rob, vast majority of the issues on there are to do with tdi's and dsg's. I know the new one is slower just she wants a change *sigh* :/

I agree, we're giving up a car I knw all about and has zero issues for an 'unknown' ive told her, if 'aint broke dont fix it, but shes got a bee in her bonnet for a frikkin' new car now seeing as so and so down the road has one! women!! :/

Thanks for your comments.

Edited by Imy1 on 04/03/2016 at 13:03

VW Polo 1.2 petrol Match 13 plate - Buying a new car - nailit

Trade the wife instead n keep car. Simples. Save a fortune.

IF ONLY!!! lol :D

Going to see it tomorrow, no harm in checking it out, and you are prob right, i'll drive it and think heck I can run faster than this!

VW Polo 1.2 petrol Match 13 plate - Buying a new car - Avant

And if you get it for her it's odds-on that she'll say she doesn't like it as much as her old one.

VW Polo 1.2 petrol Match 13 plate - Buying a new car - elekie&a/c doctor

Drive it before you buy it.I think you will be disappointed with its performance.

VW Polo 1.2 petrol Match 13 plate - Buying a new car - Cyd

And if you get it for her it's odds-on that she'll say she doesn't like it as much as her old one.

Lol. Yeah! I've got a similar problem: wife has never been bothered about the car she drives, never been interested in performance as long as it gets her to work (hers never goes more than 20 miles away to work or her Mums or the shops). I cannot drive at the moment thanks to injuries sustained in a mountain bike accident, so since September she's had to do ALL the driving. This has meant driving my 270hp 9-3 on family trips. Suddenly she's "seen the light" and understands what performance is about and how it feels to be able to overtake effortlessly or acelerate down a slip road. So suddenly her C1 just isn't up to it and she wants something with ooomph!

As for a 1.2 Polo. We bought an 03 for Son when he passed his test. It's a great little car and I think it goes really well for what it is. I've never sampled the 1.4 so can't compare but the 1.2 is fine on it's own merits. It's comfy and quiet too. Go on a decent test drive to decide if it's for you - don't let the dealer put you off doing so (put some juice in if need be - bet its light is on).