Family Car in London - Rih26
Currently have a 2005 Yaris but now have 2 kiddies & a boot consumed by a double pram! Had a bit of a mare with the Yaris which has convinced my husband it's time to pass the Yaris on to my sisters to learn to drive in and get ourselves something else.

We live in London, so economy is important. We do travel down to Bournemouth so we need a decent boot space. Husband wants Golf, I don't.

So wondering what you guys would suggest? Had a look on the car chooser....and the Golf came up!
Family Car in London - oldroverboy.

Dacia logan. tons of room cheap.. get 2 prams in...

Family Car in London - skidpan

Rih26

Could you possibly give us a clue what your budget is. Helps quite a bit.

Family Car in London - gordonbennet

Toyota Hybrid, either Auris or Prius, in its element.

Toyota Hybrid, either Auris or Prius, in its element.

ditto, good choice the auris

Rih26

Could you possibly give us a clue what your budget is. Helps quite a bit.

OP came up with a Golf on HJ carfinder....

Budget = petrol Golf

Ooops sorry guys!! Budget up to 8k, obviously not going to grumble if I find something for less. I'm a magnet for people that can't park & trollies so begrudge paying too much for someone else to damage it!!

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20151019796...p

Plenty of others available and you will have a warranty up to 5 years

Edited by oldroverboy. on 22/02/2016 at 18:20

Family Car in London - joegrundy

I'd certainly endorse the recommendation for a Dacia. My son bought a Sandero 1.2 Ambience last June, and I have been very impressed with it.

He'd been running 'bangers' and had sometimes been lucky but sometimes not. Running 'bangers' can be fine if you've got the cash to pay for repairs or, if necessary, to throw them away and start again, but he hadn't. More importantly, he has two small children (thankfully past the pram stage) and the reliability issue is paramount especially in this very rural area.

He pays £100/month on PCP which includes the 3 year service plan, 5 year warranty and breakdown. Easier to budget and the peace of mind is very reassuring. If he chooses to buy it at the end of 4 years, it'll cost about £2400 - which is not a bad price at all - it'll still have a year's warranty.

I would describe it as about the same space as a Golf. It's good to drive round town and OK on motorway journeys. Reminds me of a Clio - zizzy and willing. (Well, it would, wouldn't it?).

The space in a Logan is excellent. For people with kids a bonus is wide-opening doors and what seems to be higher access.

My son gets about 45 mpg in enthusiastic mixed driving, which ties up with the HJ real mpg reports. (I note that this is one of the highest 'real' v 'manufacturers' figures at 90+%.)

I think that with small children, the reliability might swing it for me. The other thing is, we all weep (maybe a little, maybe silently) at supermarket car park dings. But maybe just a bit less if it's in a £8000 Dacia rather than in an £18000 VW or whatever.

(I am reminded of the TG programme - the sub 1 Litre challenge to Chernobyl - when May had a Dacia 0.9TCE and Hammond had the Fiesta 1.0 . 'Well' said May 'I could buy one of these, lose it or throw it away and buy another one, and I'd still have change from what you paid for that.' Quite.)

Family Car in London - Avant

It would be interesting to know why you don't want a Golf! You might not want a Dacia either as suggested above, although it makes a lot of sense.

If you drive a lot of short journeys in London, don't have a diesel. For £8k a petrol Dacia Logan or a newish Skoda Fabia or SEAT Leon estate with the economical 1.2 TSI engine would be my suggestions.

A Toyota Auris Tourer hybrid might be tempting, but I don't think you'd get a very new one for your budget.

Thanks for your suggestions everyone, I'll check them all out and have a ponder over it. I love my little Yaris, it does what I need it's just a bit too small now I guess. The reason I don't want a Golf simply is because my husband will start having a midlife crisis and put alloy wheels and ridiculous exhaust and who knows what else on it!! He has form, and I'm more into a family car that is reliable, not looking for a race everytime I'm at the traffic lights!! I'll start researching these suggestions, thanks again :)