Volvo V70/00 - 07 - Temporary Fuel Starvation, - petermondeo

The car suffers a temporary loss of fuel ( the engine cuts out ) sit there for 5 minutes and the car will restart.

This has happened mostly when going around roundabouts or going up a steep hill.

It has never happened with a tank full of fuel.

It happened on a hill last Saturday Night, but started when the AA man arrived, the tank was half full of Diesel.

Volvo V70/00 - 07 - Temporary Fuel Starvation, - acornarms

it may be the fuel pump in the tank the wiring could burn out

on the conector giving the problem

Thank you for the reply. The car runs perfectly okay unless there is movement of the fuel in the tank. like inertia caused by turning on a bend or driving up a steep hill. I think the symptoms are like the floating suction head losing contact with the surface of the fuel briefly and a thread of air being sucked through. I think the pump is re-priming itself which takes about 5 or more minutes, then the car will restart as normal.

Bad connections on the pump will show up at any other time

Volvo V70/00 - 07 - Temporary Fuel Starvation, - elekie&a/c doctor
As with any common rail Diesel engine,fuel quality and quantity is critical.Has the fuel filter been replaced recently?

Thank you for your reply, The fuel filter has been changed and the symptoms remain the same.

The engine runs perfectly before the occurence of a cutout and will run perfectly following a restart.

Last saturday night the engine cutout on a bending climbing road and it failed to start after waiting about 5 or 7 minutes. after calling the AA and waiting half hour, the AA mechanic started the car. The car then ran perfectly for 125 miles to get us home. The tank was half full when it cut out, but I filled the tank right up at the next garage as a reassurance, but we encountered no more hills on the way home.

Perhaps there is a problem with the in tank fuel pump module.pipe adrift or partially blocked causing fuel starvation.

Thank you for the suggestion - Does someone have a drawing of the pump module that is in the tank and the floating suction assembly - I haven't seen the arrangement ?

Not too sure of the setup on these,but many modern cars have a saddle tank whereby the fuel tank,although one unit ,is divided into 2 chambers over the transmission tunnel.Fuel is drawn from one side and should be returned to the other by a system of pipe work.perhaps you have an issue with this system.

Thank you for the suggestion - I think there is a problem with the suction of fuel from each side of the tank also. By the look of the video's on how to change a fuel pump - there is a suction filter on the bottom of the pump module, which is in the left hand tank, under the left rear seat, accessed through a flange in the top of the tank. There is also a flexible pipe from the top of the pump module that passes through the fuel in the top of the tank from the left section over to the right section of the tank and in the end of the pipe is a round suction nozzle. The end of this assembly looks as if it is fastened on the bottom of a spring mounted fixing which is accesible through a flange in the top of the tank located under the right rear seat. The vertical spring mounted post looks as if it serves to hold the suction head under the fuel in the right tank. The suction head may have become detached from the post and is floating in the fuel. At times when the fuel is moving about the suction head may come above the surface and suck air, this may prevent the pump sucking fuel from the left tank also, causing the engine to cut out. It will explain why the engine hasn't cut out with a full fuel tank. - what do you think ?

Sounds like a very feasible explanation.All you got to do now is access the pump/ tank module.
Volvo V70/00 - 07 - Temporary Fuel Starvation, - Alan Tois

Hi,

Old thread I know but did you solve the problem Petermondeo? I have exactly the same symptoms and can't figure out the solution.

Be great to know,

Thanks, Alan T