FIAT 500 - Looking for a car - iamnicolas

Hello guys, i am looking for a used automatic car around £6000. I am thinking to buy a fiat 500 dualogic but i head there are a lot of problems with the dualogic gearbox. I really like the car though and i think it looks 10 times better than my other options: Fiesta, Corsa.

Any idea on the dualogic? Advice?

FIAT 500 - Looking for a car - RobJP

All any of us can really do is point you here :

www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/fiat/500-2007/?secti...d

Where it lists all of the faults and problems that have been reported on this site.

I must admit, looking at the lengthy list of 'what's bad', I wouldn't buy one of those. Pretty is one thing. But that list makes it look like lipstick on a pig.

FIAT 500 - Looking for a car - slkfanboy

As with all these gearboxs jerky and more issues than you would like

Thank you guys. Indeed there are a lot of problems. I am gonna start looking for a 1.4 Titanium Ford Fiesta Auto or Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 Auto. The Corsa seems to have a lot of problems. The fiesta seems to be more reliable.

Edited by iamnicolas on 17/02/2016 at 12:26

FIAT 500 - Looking for a car - 72 dudes

Out of the 3 cars you mention, the Fiesta 1.4 Auto is by far the best.

Also look at Honda Jazz with the CVT auto gearbox. Avoid the jerky semi-auto version (iDrive?)

Or a Toyota Yaris.

Thank you! I will have a look at the Jazz, the Yaris.. hmm i dont like it!

I really like the Fuesta!

I just drove a Toyota Iq 1,33 auto and it seems quite good. Any advice on that?
Is the 500 better with manual gearbox? I really like that car. Ho est John seem to be very satisfied with it.
Is the 500 better with manual gearbox? I really like that car. Ho est John seem to be very satisfied with it.

HJ personally likes his, and I believe has had no problems at all - anything that has gone wrong will be logged in his occasional reports.

But then again, it does very little mileage, is garaged, probably driven with a great deal of mechanical sympathy, and (I assume) overserviced, even though it's been known to only do a few hundred miles in a year.

As I said in my first reply, the 'What's good/bad' section doesn't make hugely encouraging reading. the list in the 'bad' section is horribly long, and a lot of the problems are non-gearbox related, so are as likely to be present on an auto or a manual.

But at the end of the day, it's up to you. If I wanted a small hatch, on that sort of money, then I'd probably go for a Toyota.

FIAT 500 - Looking for a car - Avant

The Fiat 500 is fine as a manual, but in gneral be very wary of small automatics. Because a traditional torque converter auto takes away some performance, makers of small cars have tended to go for dual-clutch or other semi-automatic transmissions, many of which have proved problematic.

I believe the Hyundai i10 and i20 have conventional autos - worth a look.

Thank you. I just found the Seat ibiza 1.6 with dsg. It seems to be a really nice car and i think they are reliable. What do you think?

Also the fiesta i think has a conventional auto.
Thank you. I just found the Seat ibiza 1.6 with dsg. It seems to be a really nice car and i think they are reliable. What do you think? Also the fiesta i think has a conventional auto.

The DSG gearbox is reknowned as a problematic dog. HJ personally refuses to recommend ANY VAG DSG gearbox'ed car.

While there are, I'm sure, plenty of people who have had no problems at all with them, it really does seem to be russian roulette. Buy one at your peril.

FIAT 500 - Looking for a car - gordonbennet

Given your budget you are, unless you go Korean or Toyota, going to be out of makers warranty, and you should ask yourself why makers who fit these weird semi auto and dual clutch gearboxes don't (with few exceptions) warrant their products for longer than 3 years.

The iQ your tested i believe has a CVT box which appears to be reliable and decent to drive, you could do far worse, wouldn't go near even Toyotas automated manual (MMT), if Toyota couldn't get the thing to be reliable and ended up dropping it then not a hope that others efforts are going to be any better.

I too wouldn't consider a DSG or other of these new types, unless i was a new car user and the car would go back when or before warranty expires.

Standard torque converter boxes have, given an oil change now and again, a history of lasting the life of the car, and not being the reason its scrapped which is whats happening with some of the others...we have three torque converter autos the youngest of which is 14 years old, all boxes are as smooth quiet and trouble free as the day they left the factory.

Trust me you do not want a Fiat 500 with that box, it will bring a whole new meaning to the word gutless.

Thank you guys! i will think about it! I am between the fiesta auto and ibiza dsg.

FIAT 500 - Looking for a car - galileo

Thank you guys! i will think about it! I am between the fiesta auto and ibiza dsg.

The Ibiza is VW oily bits so subject the the same DSG potential problems. (as is the equivalent Skoda model)

FIAT 500 - Looking for a car - Auristocrat

The iQ your tested i believe has a CVT box which appears to be reliable and decent to drive, you could do far worse, wouldn't go near even Toyotas automated manual (MMT), if Toyota couldn't get the thing to be reliable and ended up dropping it then not a hope that others efforts are going to be any better.

Toyota have continued with a developed version of MMT - the X-Shift in the Aygo, ETG in the Citroen C1 and 2-Tronic in the Peugeot 108.

Also in one or two countries the second generation Auris was sold with MMT as an option instead of the CVT that replaced it in the UK market.

Edited by Auristocrat on 18/02/2016 at 14:09

FIAT 500 - Looking for a car - gordonbennet

Yes i was surprised to see that box carrying on in the new (battered with the ugly stick) Aygo and its siblings, why they couldn't have nabbed the CVT out of iQ i don't know.

The jury is still out on how durable the CVT proves, so far the net isn't awash with stories of woe.

Edited by gordonbennet on 18/02/2016 at 15:01

Going for a fiesta i think. Conventional gearbox, reliable! I am gonna start looking for a 1.4 auto with Titanium trim and the Sony radio which has bluetooth and usb port.

The IQ is very small,i dont like the Yaris,, The insurance for Auris is exepnsive. The 500 is not reliable, neither the Corsa neither the Ibiza. I dont like Hyundai cars. the only other option is the Kia Rio, only 1 within my budget...

Thank you guys.

FIAT 500 - Looking for a car - Auristocrat

I dont like Hyundai cars. the only other option is the Kia Rio, only 1 within my budget...

Bear in mind that Hyundai own Kia, and that engines, transmissions, floorpans,etc are shared between the two manufacturers ....

I know that! I just dont like the design of the cars. Kia makes some nice cars such as the rio. Is a personal preference! haha thank you!

Guys, any advice regarding Citroen DS3 auto ? It seems to be pretty reliable

FIAT 500 - Looking for a car - oldtoffee

We had a 500 dualogic and it was an awful drive after a manual 500 which was a good drive. Awful slurry shifts, had to leave it in sport full time and put up with it revvings its nuts off. I'd avoid anything French with semi auto electronic stuffed gearboxes and go with the advice to look to Japan and Korea.

Thank you, the only issues i found with the DS3is corrosion on wheels and some body parts.

FIAT 500 - Looking for a car - daveyK_UK
Shame you don't like the Hyundai i10 auto in the new shape i10.

Neighbour has a 12 plate Nissan micra with a CVT auto and no problems to date. Micra build quality is questionable but seemingly durable.

Thank you! i think am goign for either the DS3 or Fiesta!

Guys i got your advice and i looked at Kias, and i found the Rio. Is really nice, why Honest John gives it only 3 ? Is it any good? Also looked at the Polo but s ems very plain and there is nothing as standard ( bluetooth or usb ). Now i am between the reliable Fiesta, the Rio the Polo and am thinking the DS3 but the insurance of the ds is more expenive and also is a french car... I cant decide. The rio has warranty from manufacturer and seems like a good option. The fiesta has a lot of standard equipment ( Titanium) .. Any advie?
FIAT 500 - Looking for a car - Avant

I's go for either a Fiesta (lots around to choose from and plenty of dealers and independents who can service it), or a Rio (fewer available, but our regular member Oldroverboy had one until recently and was very happy with it).

FIAT 500 - Looking for a car - Falkirk Bairn

>>The rio has warranty from manufacturer

Make sure the warranty is still valid Prpoer stamped service book and written proof from selling dealer

FIAT 500 - Looking for a car - skidpan

>>The rio has warranty from manufacturer

Make sure the warranty is still valid Prpoer stamped service book and written proof from selling dealer

The Kia warranty clearly states that a stamped service book is not proof enough for the warranty. They realise that stamps are available on certain auction sites that look like the real thing. The T & C's clearly state that you must keep all receipts (dealer or indy) showing the work carried out and the parts/lubricants used. No receipts, possibly no warranty.

Kia did not have a central service record when we owned one thus dealers could not check what has been carried out other than recalls and campaign updates. We once asked our dealer what would happen if we were in 400 miles away in Scotland and needed warranty repairs and had no records with us (who takes receipts on holiday? Told us a phone call to their service desk would do the trick.

Thank you guys! I think am going eith the fiesta 1.4 auto titanium. It comes with Bluetooth , cruise control, sony radio lol etc. The warranty of the kia is good but i think not enough to convince me. Also what if i dont have all receipts etc.:/

The insurance for the foesta is cheaper as well!
FIAT 500 - Looking for a car - RicardoB

The Fiesta 1.4 automatic (which is a proper torque converter as opposed to the more recent Powershift - Ford's version of DSG) is a fab car.

Has all the qualities and attractions of the Fiesta with a gearbox that just does what it's supposed to do - well - in my experience and propels the car along at a surprising pace, should you so wish.

I like the DS3 as a car but not sure whether it is a torque converter gearbox or one of the scary automated manuals. I would imagine it's torque converter but am not sure.

The ds3 has a torque converter auto!