Import of a used car from EU to UK - HandCart

Hi, I wondered if anyone had definitive answers to some queries I have:

I'm considering buying a 40 year old car that's in The Netherlands, driving it to the ferry at Hook of Holland, and from Harwich back to my house. The car would have a current dutch MOT and whatever their equivalent of Road Tax is, and I would have insurance to cover driving that car in the EU.

However, I'm a bit confused on some aspects:

1) Would I have to have a "Certificate Of Conformity" for the car before I drove it away from the vendor? If so, how does one acquire such a thing, and would the vendor have to do it, or me?

2) Would there be any fees or duties to be paid as I rolled off the ferry at Harwich?

Once on UK soil I would apply requisite blanking tape to the headlights and ensure the speedo had correctly-placed MPH markings, but are there any other obscure documents that would have to be scrutinised before I could be driving along the A120?

3) I'm aware that the car would need to gain a UK MOT and UK registration document and numberplates within 6 months of landing in the UK, but in what sequence?

4) And if the car is intended to be imported here permanently, do I in fact have to inform the DVLA that it's here, within 2 weeks?

5) I have read that technically it is illegal for a UK RESIDENT to drive a car on UK roads that is still currently registered in another EU country. But there seems to be some grey-area here: Does that count within even the first 2 weeks? I.e. Are they seriously saying that it would have to be on a trailer just to get it from Harwich to my house?

6) Especially regarding points 1) and 5), since it appears relatively much more straightforward for a Dutch person just to drive over here in such a car to have himself a few days' holiday, why not invite the vendor to do that, and I actually purchase the car off him while he and the car are here in the UK, and he return home to Holland on foot (train/plane whatever) ?

Would that possibly make things more straighforward for me, and/or is there any pitfall in that scenario?

Thanks for reading.

Import of a used car from EU to UK - Auristocrat

Have a look at www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/overview

Import of a used car from EU to UK - Gibbo_Wirral

Might be worth watching some episodes of Wheeler Dealers or contacting Mike Brewer directly (He's on Facebook and a very approachable fellow), as they've done this a few times.

Import of a used car from EU to UK - jc2

A car that old would not have a CoC!

This is exactly the type of "yeah but" irregularity thing I seem to be encountering!

In reply to Auristocrat's post:

I'd already had a look at that site - unfortunately, for each topic, it seems to open up another warren of topics that may or may not apply, and provisos that can seem chicken-and-egg. For example, you're supposed to "Confirm that you’ve made any alterations needed (eg the speedometer displays miles per hour) and to provide receipts to show you’ve done this": In the past I had a foreign car that had already been registered in the UK - it merely had small round stickers stuck over the speedo glass with the MPH values written on, and passed MOTs both before and after my ownership just fine like this. So can I get away with just providing receipts for some stickers and a pen?? Or is there a guy working from the back of a van stationed in the car park at Harwich who does speedo recalibrations while you wait!?!

The site seems more geared-up towards people relocating to live in the UK and wanting to bring their existing car with them. Which -cough cough- isn't very surprising.

It's funny how someone from another EU country with a licence obtained in that country can drive their car (registered, MOT'd and taxed in that country) over here and not really have to do anything provided they leave again within 6 months, but someone born here, with a UK licence and perfectly valid insurance, may be transgressing the law if they drove that same car from the ferry to their house!

Import of a used car from EU to UK - Vitesse6

If you are a UK resident you can't drive a foreign registered car in the UK.

I had a french registered motorhome and looked into bringing it into the UK. In the end I gave up and sold it and bought one here.

The headlights need to be changed to dip the right way (conversion stickers were allowed once upon a time, but not any more), and the speedo needs to read in MPH. Handwritten stickers won't do. It has to be a printed overlay (which shouldn't be too hard to sort out)

Advice on DVLA site is that you should have the vehicle trailered to a place where you can get the work done and then get it MOT'd.

You will have to sign a document to confirm the head lamps and speedo comply.

Thanks for those succinct answers, Vitesse

:-)

Import of a used car from EU to UK - Happy Blue!

And the chances of being caught whilst on the road from Harwich - with presumably a load of other LHD cars being driven by legitimate EU residents - is how high......??

Import of a used car from EU to UK - Bianconeri

If you are a UK resident you can't drive a foreign registered car in the UK.

I had a french registered motorhome and looked into bringing it into the UK. In the end I gave up and sold it and bought one here.

The headlights need to be changed to dip the right way (conversion stickers were allowed once upon a time, but not any more), and the speedo needs to read in MPH. Handwritten stickers won't do. It has to be a printed overlay (which shouldn't be too hard to sort out)

Advice on DVLA site is that you should have the vehicle trailered to a place where you can get the work done and then get it MOT'd.

You will have to sign a document to confirm the head lamps and speedo comply.

I think you mean "cannot own" a foreign registered car and drive it in the UK. I drive Swiss, French and Spanish-registered cars that belong to my company's offices in those countries to the UK and back half a dozen times a year and I use them while they are here. Never had a problem (other than terrible garage service when one broke down over here).
Import of a used car from EU to UK - Vitesse6

The rules are nnot straightforward but DVLA website says this:

7. Temporary imports

You can usually use a vehicle with non-UK number plates without needing to tax or register it in the UK if all of the following apply:

you’re visiting and don’t plan to live here

you only use the vehicle up to 6 months in a 12-month period (one single visit, or several shorter visits adding up to a 6-month period)

the vehicle is registered and taxed in its home country

You must tax and register your vehicle in the UK if you become a resident or your stay is longer than 6 months.

You pays your money and takes your choice!!

Import of a used car from EU to UK - Eleonor Rose

According to UK law, if it's temprary import you can still drive it with no problem without registering or taxing it in the UK as long as you dont plane to live there, vehicle must be registered and taxed in Netherlands, and you won’t usually have to pay VAT or duty, BUT you need to pay for insurance at least a third party insurance, You can check this topic from honestjohn there a lot of details.

Edited by Avant on 12/03/2016 at 21:28