Nissan Primera 1.8 SE 5dr - Tyre Size - vectra_owner

My 2003 Nissan Primera 1.8 SE 5dr has 205/60/R16 tyres with alloy wheels at the moment. I will need to change the tyres at the next MOT (June).

I am scrapping my Vauxhall Vectra (after an accident), but the tyres on this car are still good - 1 Michelin, 1 Goodyear and 2 almost new budget tyres. The tyre size is 215/55/R16 93H. But this car does not have alloy wheels.

There are no lock-in wheel nuts in either car.

A friend has suggest that before scrapping the car, I should get the tyres swapped with the Primera. He has suggested that I will also be able to keep the alloy wheel rims on the Primera and the tyres from the Vectra will go on this rim.

I am not sure if this will be possible.

Also, the budget tyres on the Vectra were completely useless (even though I had them on for only 2 weeks). I got them for £30 a pop. So, I am planning to throw these away with the car.

Can I take 2 x 215/55/R16 from the Vectra and get them on the Primera?

If I do this, I will be left with these tyre sizes on the Primera:

Front - Existing 2 x 205/60/R16

Rear - 2 x 215/55/R16 from the Vauxhall

I plan to use the Primera's alloy wheel rims for the rear tyres as well as the Vauxhall has regulat metal rims with plastic covers.

Will this work?

Edited by vectra_owner on 02/02/2016 at 13:41

Nissan Primera 1.8 SE 5dr - Tyre Size - Big John

Mixing tyre sizes not usually a good thing and if you properly tell your insurance company you may find they won't cover you with this sort of mismatch modification

Nissan Primera 1.8 SE 5dr - Tyre Size - skidpan

The tyres will fit on the rims OK but if the 205/60 16 is the standard size for a Primera you will need to inform your insurers of the change of size. Might cost nothing but to stay legal it needs doing.

The tyre you propose fitting are slightly smaller in diamter (10mm approx) so they will lower the car very slightly and affect the speedo slightly. Would not expect you to notice either.

With regards to fitting odd sizes front and rear do not do that.

Suggest you spend the money you get scrapping the Vectra on a new set of decent tyres.

How do I find out that 205/60 16 is the standard size for Primera? I bough this car second hand and it had these tyres on it.

It will be in the handbook and on a sticker that is either under the petrol flap or on the drivers door pillar.

Alternatively go on an on-line tyre site (such as Kwik Fit), insert your reg number and the size should appear.

Nissan Primera 1.8 SE 5dr - Tyre Size - Smileyman

This is the standard size, I drive a 2004 Primera with this size wheel. The alternative is 215 / 50 /17 as shown on the brochure (which I still have) but I swapped to the 16 inch for the better ride and cheaper tyre cost.

I am running Dunlop SPSport BluResponse tyres which have improved the MPG compared to Michelin I had before, purchased online from Tyreshopper and fitted at my local ATS, cannot recall the price but it was good! They get good rating for wet road use and that's important too.