Vauxhall Insignia - Facelift version - Lease car - LED - autumnboy

I have a lease car and noted for awhile how poor the reversing lamps are in a dark area, more like they are only a indicator to others I'm reversing.

So I've seen some owners have changed the bulbs for LED which are noticably brighter.

Would I be allowed to change these, improving the conditions and help preventing damage. Or would you change these back at the end of the lease.

Vauxhall Insignia - Facelift version - Lease car - LED - RT

There's a legal limit on the power of reversing lamps, or equivalent light output - 2x 21w as far as I know.

That's the problem, they are T15 16w wedge bulbs. One in each lamp.

Vauxhall Insignia - Facelift version - Lease car - LED - nailit

I thought LED's were generally very low power? check as it I'm sure you would be ok load wise.

Vauxhall Insignia - Facelift version - Lease car - LED - gordonbennet

Had a similar problem with the Landcruiser which only has one reversing light (stupid design for such a big motor, Hilux was the same), and thats a wider than T15 capless, a perusal on the usual auction site produced an equivalent to 60w Cree led bulb which is superb and produces as much light as the two would have, so thats where i would be looking.

You might have a problem in that your car may not like unballasted LED's and puts any bulb failure light on whilst they are lit.

The seller was ruudg10 and very helpful he was with another query.

in fact here you go, 2 x 25w tinyurl.com/glg6mzz

whether these will put your bulb warning on i have no idea, says they are canbus error free.

Edited by gordonbennet on 25/01/2016 at 12:09

Thanks all.

But being a Lease car, could i fit them based on safety for myself and others when reversing.

Or would you fit them, then remove them at the end of the lease.

Vauxhall Insignia - Facelift version - Lease car - LED - slkfanboy

What next, night breaker reversing lamps!

Vauxhall Insignia - Facelift version - Lease car - LED - gordonbennet

I'd bung them in for my own sake and then take them out when it goes back and say nothing, not cos they'll be remotely interested if its got brighter reversing bulbs when it trots off to auction but so as i can bung them in another car.

Insignia is a horrid enough car to have to manoeuver in broad daylight with the most stupidly sized and placed mirrors i've seen to date, let alone trying to do so in the dark and wet with two candles burning feebly to unsee what you're about to hit.

Edited by gordonbennet on 25/01/2016 at 18:12

Thanks Gordon,

There are many worse cars than the Insignia with their mirrors, more so if they are manually adjusted.

I have no issues with the mirrors with wet/daylight reversing, as the mirrors can be electrically adjusted as required to wherever you are reversing.

This being my second Insignia, the first being pre-face lift with its larger reversing lamps having no problems reversing at night wet or dry.

But besides that, I am along the lines of changing the bulbs now and refit on return of the car.