Vauxhall Zafira A - New Car Warranty - Beechesgirl7

I purchased a new Zafira in 2013 - it came with a lifetime warranty. In 2014 I booked the 1st service with a local Vauxhall Service Centre - they cancelled the appt three times because they didn't have a courtesy car available - in the end I had to sit and wait more than five hours for the service to be carried out "while-you-wait." The service record shows that they reactivated the lifetime warranty - the service record book also reflects this. At the time a faulty switch was found and I was asked to return about 10 days later to have this rectified - it was done under the terms of the warranty.

I thought no more about the bad experience I had with the centre until my service was due this year. I booked in with a different Vauxhall service centre and asked for the lifetime warranty to be reactivated. I was surprised to be told that the warranty on the car had been cancelled.

After a bit of digging I have now discovered that the service centre in 2014 did not reactivate the warranty even though it is listed on the work sheet. Because they cancelled the appointment three times, the car was serviced outside the stipulated one month from purchase anniversay period. Consequently, I have now been told that I do not have a warranty and Vauxhall will not reactivate it despite the fact that I can prove the service was carried out.

My question is....how does this affect the value of my car....and can I take legal action against the service centre?

Edited by Beechesgirl7 on 23/01/2016 at 11:02

Vauxhall Zafira A - New Car Warranty - Bromptonaut

Not sure I understand the scenario here.

First service was late due to difficulties which OP says were wholly down to the dealer. Dealer appears to accept that and reactivates lifetime warranty. presumably under some exception clause.

Why did it need to be reactivated again at the second service?

Vauxhall Zafira A - New Car Warranty - Beechesgirl7

Because Vauxhall require the warranty to be reactivated every year at the annual service.

My point in my first post was that the service centre in 2014 DID NOT reactivate the warranty as they said they had....they have put on the service record that they reactivated it....but did not.

Vauxhall Zafira A - New Car Warranty - RT

You'll need to take it up with Vauxhall UK.

Vauxhall Zafira A - New Car Warranty - daveyK_UK

go back to the 2014 service dealer and demand to see the manager.

write to Vauxhalls head manager in the UK and CC into the letter the head of GM in the USA and the head of the franchise of the 2014 servicing dealership.

Make sure you send a copy to the head of GM in the USA, the price of the postage will be worth the warranty being re-activated.

Vauxhall Zafira A - New Car Warranty - Bromptonaut

Because Vauxhall require the warranty to be reactivated every year at the annual service.

That was the bit I'd not understood. Wanted to be clear there was no issue around the 2015 service.

Agree with RT it needs taking up formally, preferably in writing, with Vx customer services. Copy to dealer principal at first garage seeking their input

Don't go straight to the 'nuclear' option of involving GM USA. Escalate the issue camly and sequentially in accordance with any Vx UK complaints process.

Vauxhall Zafira A - New Car Warranty - RT

That was the bit I'd not understood. Wanted to be clear there was no issue around the 2015 service.

Agree with RT it needs taking up formally, preferably in writing, with Vx customer services. Copy to dealer principal at first garage seeking their input

Don't go straight to the 'nuclear' option of involving GM USA. Escalate the issue camly and sequentially in accordance with any Vx UK complaints process.

I'm not sure involving GM Detroit ever achieves anything - AFAIK the Lifetime Warranty was a Vauxhall-only thing, not done by any other GM brand, so it's a UK-only thing.

Vauxhall Zafira A - New Car Warranty - oldroverboy.

And was a very limited warranty and just proves another good reason not to buy a GM product.

From one of the other posts here anyone for a 1.4t engine that appears to be as bad as a rover K series..

and just wait and see how much it will cost in a VX dealer out of warranty.