Ford Galaxy 2003 - Gearbox whine when decelerating - jak8691

My car has developed a whine when decelerating in 5th gear. I have spoken to my mechanic and done some research and I believe this is a bearing problem. I am planning on getting it fixed but as the car has 120k on the clock I want to assess if the repair is worth it or I should cut my losses and look for a new car. I have had the car since 2009 and have really looked after it and it had a new clutch last year. My gut is saying that the cost of fixing this would not buy me a new car so fix it but I'm not sure - can anyone share their experience with an issue like this please?

Thanks for any help

Ford Galaxy 2003 - Gearbox whine when decelerating - Quicksilver

The whine, (if not too bad) could last for many years and thousands of miles.

The car is worth virtually nothing so I would live with it until it bevmes unbearable.

The repair will probably be VERY expensive.

Q.

Ford Galaxy 2003 - Gearbox whine when decelerating - John F

The whine, (if not too bad) could last for many years and thousands of miles.

The car is worth virtually nothing so I would live with it until it bevmes unbearable.

Agreed. I seem to remember all BL cars had transmission whine whether accelerating or decelerating. This was probably because although the British motor industry could occasionally cobble up an engine, a decent gear-box (a far more complex piece of engineering) was/is beyond it.

Ford Galaxy 2003 - Gearbox whine when decelerating - chas66

YOU could drain the box and try an EP80-90 oil the whine could be the first motion shaft bearing, but to rectify that the box has to come out,

Ford Galaxy 2003 - Gearbox whine when decelerating - jak8691

Thank you to all who have commented I appreciate that the car in money terms is not worth a lot so in order to prolong its life should I avoid 5th gear or just drive as I would normally? I am currently going from 4th to 6th gear where possible. I will also investigate the EP80-90 oil option to see if that improves the situation.

Thanks again