Clio 11 1.9dti - Relay blown - pullgees

Engine won't start no warning and glow plug light. Called breakdown was told that a relay had blown, towed home.

The relay box is by the battery and relays look hard to get at. First question. Do I need to remove the relay box? Second question. Which one is the fuel pump relay and glow plug? Thanks

Clio 11 1.9dti - Relay blown - elekie&a/c doctor

The relay is in the box by the battery.The plastic cover lifts upwards to access the plastic frame,which holds a few relays.This frame will slide up for better access..Not sure which one it is as they are not marked.If the breakdown man said it was the relay,did he not check which one??I don't think the glow relay is in this box,it is usually bolted to the metal frame of the battery support bracket.Possibly not a relay fault,more likely to be a wiring problem.

Thanks for quick reply. He did point out the offending relay, not sure I remember which one.
The back story is that I gave someone a jump start and the red lead crocodile connector made contact with a metal part close to the battery as I was manipulating the jaws onto the terminal. This of course created a short with a flash of sparks. When I tried to start the engine there was a buzzing sound coming from the relay box and no red light on the dash or glow plug light.

The buzzing , I was told was from the blown relay.

Don't think the relay will be at fault.Sounds like you may have shorted some wiring somewhere,possibly an earth lead.Take a look around the front of the gearbox.

I'll have a look when it gets lighter, but I should say the the engine turns over, just won't fire up.

Clio 11 1.9dti - Relay blown - Micky-BO

The main engine control relay on this model has a permanent 12v feed at this relay base terminals 1 & 3 fed via a fuse. I would remove relay & check it's base terminals 1 & 3 key on or off also check out it;s earth

This buzzing noise seems to me to be the switch in the coil in the relay trying to make contact.

I took out and replaced each relay until the buzzing stopped. i think I've foundthe offending relay although have no multi meter. It is a C G Cartier PA66 Gf30 I can't see any amperage marked on it.

Does this sound like the problem?

Doubt it is the problem,but you can swap out the relay with a similar type in the box.

I just done that with an identical one and it too started buzzing. So your right, sounds like a wire then.

On the side of the relay board there is a grey cover or something like that with two plastic press tabs one either end - presumably it pulls out. Is that another relay that is embedded into the guts of the board?

In one of the previous posts,you mentioned that the positive lead made contact with a metal bracket.This could be the bracket that secures the engine control unit.This may have been damaged.

Yes that's the bracket, that holds the reset unit with the red rubber top. Blimey! you know these cars.

I've fixed it! It was the inertia fuel cut off switch which was stuck on. I removed it with the plan in mind to bypass it then I chickened out on that idea and put it back on. The fiddling around with it must have switched it off . Everything works now, the relay's not buzzing any more. Brilliant!