Effect of Insurance Group on cost - scot22

I realise much will depend on insurance company and other variables : however, I wondered if there is an approximate rule of thumb way to estimate increased costs if buying a car with higher group rating.

For example choosing between a car with a rating of 16 or one of 24 what would the rough cost of insurance variation be. Is there any consistency between premium and range of groups ?

Hope the question is reasonably clear !!! if not, apologies.

Effect of Insurance Group on cost - Wukl

Seems to be no rhyme or reason to me! Certainly not clear enough for me to approximate cost per group. When I've tried comparison sites for potential purchases my annual mileage seems a far bigger factor than either group or value.

Effect of Insurance Group on cost - scot22

Thanks. Relieved to read I'm not the only one who finds little structure in the set up.

Effect of Insurance Group on cost - Wukl

The Voluntary Excess I choose similarly has negligable impact on premiums for me (I think it was about £6 pa difference by increasing it from £100 to £250).

My current car is practically worthless yet I can get cheaper quotes on brand new cars of equivalent performance. Do they reason because I'd drive more responsibly in a £22k car rather than my £1k car? Or is more likely to be in accident because it is aged technology? I find that bizarre reasoning, but they have bigger brains than mine working out the algorthims from all that data. Personally, I'd drive either car the same as I rely on it to get and from work!

I think for you own circumstances try a comparison website and pick a car with many variants (not necessarily one you are interested in) and just try a few different models. You might get a feel for how the groups relate to your premium.

Effect of Insurance Group on cost - RT

I realise much will depend on insurance company and other variables : however, I wondered if there is an approximate rule of thumb way to estimate increased costs if buying a car with higher group rating.

For example choosing between a car with a rating of 16 or one of 24 what would the rough cost of insurance variation be. Is there any consistency between premium and range of groups ?

Hope the question is reasonably clear !!! if not, apologies.

I use the What Car comparison - by comparing two cars from different groups (your existing and your proposed), calculate the % increase and then apply that % to your current premium. However, if there 's a big difference in age/value of the cars being considered then it is also affected by the value of each car.

Although HJ Car-by-car Reviews show the groups, I'm not aware of any typical insurance figure.

Effect of Insurance Group on co - daveyjp
Group of car can be no indication as to level of insurance premium. My wife owned an Aygo (group 1), i20 (9) and an A class (11) within 12 months. The A class was cheapest of them all to insure.

Driver details, address where car is kept and in some circumstances profession are far more of a factor in determining premiums.
Effect of Insurance Group on co - scot22

The posts are helpful and much appreciated, as always. It seems that it really needs to be done on specific cases.

Thanks again.

Effect of Insurance Group on co - RT
Driver details, address where car is kept and in some circumstances profession are far more of a factor in determining premiums.

Those are normally constant though, for a specific individual.

Effect of Insurance Group on co - Big John

A couple of years ago I was amazed to get more expensive insurance quotes for a 2006 Fiat Panda 1.2 compared to my 2001 1.4 Octavia which had a higher insurance group but was older

Effect of Insurance Group on cost - Auristocrat

The insurance group rating system is managed by Thatcham on behalf of the Association of British Insurers, and is an advisory system. Being advisory, individual insurance companies may decide to use either a lower or higher insurance rating for certain vehicles depending on their experience, whether or not that vehicle is one they wish to insure, etc.