Drink driving and me - Thought I'd be good? - oldroverboy.

Invited to some friends over the festive period, so thought we'd be good as they have an underground station close to them.

It is only 80 miles..

Train fares for both £152 ish.

Took the car and stayed the night, but the clincher was the "rail replacement service" that added 90 minutes to the journey each way.

I accept that had we known in advance we could have got cheaper tickets so would have been only £112 ish but if our lovely railways want off peak travellers then they have to be competitive with the car.

Fuel cost about 20 and using the rate of 45p a mile still only makes £72 .

On top of which the last time i took a greater anglia train, the toilet was overflowing (and not locked) no buffet service and suddenlyy the train was stopped, cancelled and we were left to wait on a freezing platform for the next one.

Me.. vacinated, I'll take the car!

Drink driving and me - Thought I'd be good? - Alby Back
There is actually a very good rail service from where I live ( south Cheshire ) into central London where I need to be fairly regularly.

However, if I want to be in the city for any kind of useful time It's over £200 return to use the train. Compare that with about £60 in fuel and another £40 or so by the time you pay to park and the con charge and despite the extra time it takes its almost impossible to justify taking the train.

Still a £100 just to go to work for a ( long ) day though...

:-(
Drink driving and me - Thought I'd be good? - RT
There is actually a very good rail service from where I live ( south Cheshire ) into central London where I need to be fairly regularly. However, if I want to be in the city for any kind of useful time It's over £200 return to use the train. Compare that with about £60 in fuel and another £40 or so by the time you pay to park and the con charge and despite the extra time it takes its almost impossible to justify taking the train. Still a £100 just to go to work for a ( long ) day though... :-(

Rail fares have long been uncompetitive on price, although they do win in some other respects.

About 20 years ago, I was working on a temporary contract at a government agency and had to travel from the Midlands to London once a week - it was a lot cheaper to use the car and park near a tube station on the outskirts - they still allowed me to claim the rail fare as in those days you had to hand your ticket in so never had any "evidence"

Drink driving and me - Thought I'd be good? - craig-pd130

In adjusted terms, Government spending on the railways (both on the rail network and in subsidies to train operators) is higher now that it was pre-privatisation in the 90s, and passenger, sorry, customer fares are higher too. So more of our tax, and more of our net income, is spent on the railways than ever before.

Privatisation's a wonderful thing, if you happen to be a director of a train operating company.

Drink driving and me - Thought I'd be good? - Andrew-T

I accept that had we known in advance we could have got cheaper tickets so would have been only £112 ish but if our lovely railways want off peak travellers then they have to be competitive with the car.

You can't realistically expect even a subsidised rail service to compete with the car when (a) they charge per person and (b) car fuel is only around £1 per litre ! I don't imagine that saving has much impact on the running cost of an electrified rail service ....

Oh, and (c) I don't suppose you calculated your car cost on an all-in per-mile basis?

Edited by Andrew-T on 03/01/2016 at 15:48

Drink driving and me - Thought I'd be good? - Happy Blue!

Actually I prefer the train most times. As a family of five we took the train from Manchester to Euston last night and are currently waiting for our train home (it is on time). The cost was more than driving but staying near Finchley and going into the west end for the day meant a long and tiring drive home.

I could very happily driven down last night after a leisurely day but the thought of driving 200 miles in poor, wet conditions even in the Mercedes it not something I relish.

The cost was more than driving but staying near Finchley and going into the west end for the day meant a long and tiring drive home.

My argument is only partly about cost but it does come into it.

I booked a couple of weeks in advance and flew from stansted to edinburgh for a lot less than a train would cost, and on the return some nice bars and cafes to get something to eat at the airport.

IF we want to go somewhere by train, it is agony, dirty carriages, off peak closures, hot drinks that aren't and alcoholic ones that are more expensive than in an airport or conventional pub.

The other day in my post, I wanted to go by train but timewise it would have taken me at least as long (or longer) as Happyblue took to get from Manchester to Euston.

However, we stayed with our friends, and I actually had a bit more to drink than normal, but Northwest London to Colchester with underground, train, rail replacement bus train again and then taxi from the station to home plus the waiting for the rail replacement buses each way waiting in the rain, Sorry, no thanks! minimum of 4 hours against 90 minutes driving.....

And in reply to another post, I did put fuel cost and mileage cost

Edited by oldroverboy. on 03/01/2016 at 20:43

Drink driving and me - Thought I'd be good? - Bromptonaut

Another perspective:

An annual season ticket from Northampton to London (including bus/tube travelcard) is £6240.00. That's equivalent to £26 return every day assuming an average 5 day week and annual leave.

Match that including Congestion Charge and parking.

Drink driving and me - Thought I'd be good? - 1litregolfeater

What happened to Mr Cameron's happiness survey? Did they include rail travellers?

Bet not.

Any time I've been on a train I've felt like hanging myself. It's a;ways left me feeling ripped-off and worthless.

Now, Sadly have to go to just outside Leeds next week for a funeral, and surprised to find that the train journey Colchester-liverpool st-kings x- leeds garforth is cheaper £23.50 going and £38.50 coming bacl.

As it happens the funeral is pontefract so taxis and buses too difficult, will go by car and have found a "deal" for a hotel in a national chain b&b £30.25.

But What tickles me is an 160 mile journey is dearer than a 400 mile journey, both of them off peak and both total returm mileages

Drink driving and me - Thought I'd be good? - John F

This thread needs re-titling - train v.car. Trains never make economic sense unless several tons of animal, vegetable or mineral regularly need to go from one specific place to another.

Typical example - yesterday had to transport four from east midlands to see elderly relative over a mile from nearest railway station on E Sussex coast, then to Gatwick to deposit two, then back to east midlands. Train would've cost a fortune, even with our two senior railcards, and taken many hours. Luxury car - 350m x around 50p per mile was far better value and probably cheaper, although I haven't wasted time working it out.

The annoying thing is, my annual mileage divided into the portion of my total tax bill subsidising the railway which I so rarely use is probably many pence per mile.

Drink driving and me - Thought I'd be good? - RT

This thread needs re-titling - train v.car. Trains never make economic sense unless several tons of animal, vegetable or mineral regularly need to go from one specific place to another.

Typical example - yesterday had to transport four from east midlands to see elderly relative over a mile from nearest railway station on E Sussex coast, then to Gatwick to deposit two, then back to east midlands. Train would've cost a fortune, even with our two senior railcards, and taken many hours. Luxury car - 350m x around 50p per mile was far better value and probably cheaper, although I haven't wasted time working it out.

The annoying thing is, my annual mileage divided into the portion of my total tax bill subsidising the railway which I so rarely use is probably many pence per mile.

Railways were built in the first place to transport goods, not people, and the decline in use leading up to the Beeching cuts was to to ever-increasing transport of goods by road, a switch that has carried on since.

Apart from short-distance commuter traffic from city suburbs into the centre, railways are never going to be cheap and profitable for moving people - it's one or the other.

Drink driving and me - Thought I'd be good? - Trilogy

We tend to use National Mess coaches if we need public transport. A friend swears by MegaBus, although routes seem to be very limited.

We tend to use National Mess coaches if we need public transport. A friend swears by MegaBus, although routes seem to be very limited.

London Victoria to Leeds £10 return plus booking fee. If it wasn't such carp to get from here to victoria, if i had all day on my hands i would do it.

Have booked for friends and they wre satisfied.

Drink driving and me - Thought I'd be good? - dimdip

I took the National Express coach from Brum to Carlisle in 2014. It was the worst coach journey of my life (including some taken in 3rd World countries). The chassis had no suspension and banged over every road imprfection. The seats were so knackered that you were sitting on the metal frame, the foam apparently having long since given up the ghost. I was aching for a day after. The same banger again on the return journey. Never. Again.

This thread needs re-titling - train v.car.

But I WANTED to go by train, instead it was more economic to stay the night, go by car and save myself piles of money.

I didn't want to be at risk of drink driving.

Beats me how some rural pubs survive..

Drink driving and me - Thought I'd be good? - Sofa Spud

Sorry, replied to wrong message - so deleted !

Edited by Sofa Spud on 07/01/2016 at 16:46

Drink driving and me - Thought I'd be good? - Sofa Spud

Are roads profitable or cheap? Vehicle users pay VED and fuel duty and roads still need subsidy from the taxpayer on top of that.

Drink driving and me - Thought I'd be good? - alan1302

Are roads profitable or cheap? Vehicle users pay VED and fuel duty and roads still need subsidy from the taxpayer on top of that.

How much do the roads cost each year and how much VED and fuel duty is taken?

Drink driving and me - Thought I'd be good? - galileo

Now, Sadly have to go to just outside Leeds next week for a funeral, and surprised to find that the train journey Colchester-liverpool st-kings x- leeds garforth is cheaper £23.50 going and £38.50 coming bacl.

But What tickles me is an 160 mile journey is dearer than a 400 mile journey, both of them off peak and both total returm mileages

Coincidentally, yesterday I looked up train fares Huddersfield to York, fares for this 43 mile trip quoted as £22.10 return (or two singles, out and back, £37.80). Per mile, much dearer than to London or Edinburgh, why?

By car I reckon about £9 in petrol (+ £2 park and ride).