Ford Fiesta - Ford Fiesta TDCI 1.4 cold starting Problems - mat_arnold

Hello All,

Just recently I've been experiencing problems starting the car in the morning, when its colder it harder to start, warmer morning its easier to start.

After I have drove to work, at lunch times, driving home its fine, starts first time.

I have a 55 plate Ford Fiesta with 180k miles, I tried an volt meter on the battery first thing, its say 11.8 V with the engine running this goes up to 14 volts.

I would be gratefull for any help :)

Matt

Edited by mat_arnold on 01/01/2016 at 21:30

Ford Fiesta - Ford Fiesta TDCI 1.4 cold starting Problems - elekie&a/c doctor
I would suggest you get the battery tested.Diesels need a good cranking speed before they will fire up.

Thank you for your answer.

The battery is six years old (I replaced it in Nov '09) I had got Halfords to check to the battery a few weeks ago and its passed their automated tests on a handheld device, although I don't know how good their test is.

But yes with having the lights on first thing they quickly dim after a few failed turns ( after about 8 seconds), like I said before the battery voltage (using a volt meter )is 11.8 Volts proir to starting the car, then when running this clocks up to 14 volts.

A friend at work seems convinced its may be the glow plugs, but I don't know? The car is ten years old and they have not been replaced before.

Matt

Edited by mat_arnold on 01/01/2016 at 22:12

This engine does not need glow plugs to start ,unless the temp is well below zero.I suspect the battery is not up to scratch.
Ford Fiesta - Ford Fiesta TDCI 1.4 cold starting Problems - Railroad.
As said above your engine is direct injection and as not dependent on glow plugs for cold starting. In fact they don't even switch on for preheating unless the outside air temperature is around zero degrees.

The battery in your case sounds as if it's seen better days. If the static voltage is 11.8v then it's completely discharged, and you should replace it.

I am replacing the battery today, even if this doesn't fix the fault, after six years and 110k miles (since last battery change) it needs changing, I will keep this thread updated so it's known if this fixed the issue :)/

Ford Fiesta - Ford Fiesta TDCI 1.4 cold starting Problems - Railroad.

I am replacing the battery today, even if this doesn't fix the fault, after six years and 110k miles (since last battery change) it needs changing, I will keep this thread updated so it's known if this fixed the issue :)/

I would suggest buying the biggest battery that will physically fit on the carrier. Look at the Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) figure stated on the battery. The higher the figure the more of a punch it will have. I would think an 075 would fit, which is the same physical size as an 065 but has a greater CCA rating. An 096 is even bigger in terms of physical size and CCA, but you'd have to check to see if one can be fitted and properly secured on your car. It may be too big.

I replaced with an 075, for £40.00, 50% off from Eurocar in the Jan sales :)

So far so good, the real test will be tomorrow morning - crossing my fingers :)

Thanks for your help folks :)

Matt

All fixed a new battery solved the problems, started first time after 20 hours.

My lesson from this is to change your battery at least every five years from new.

Thanks to those who commented above :)

Matt

Edited by mat_arnold on 03/01/2016 at 14:31

Just one more thing,

Halfords tested my faulty battery using their automated test on their hand held device and said my battery was OK when it was faulty, beware :) this lead me down the garden path ..

I suppose it is all to do with what equipt they have used.A cheap tester is not accurate enough.Good ones do a conductance test,but they are not cheap.Aside this,I have found Halfords to be well overpriced on batteries,so you are better off now.