Tyre repair sealant - scot22

I know there have been threads on this but am interested if there have been any improvements or new experiences.

Many appealing newer cars now have tyre repair kits. If I had a puncture I would automatically replace the tyre ( I have known for a long time I'm neurotic ) so that is not a problem.

Has anyone had any experiences in which it has been a benefit using a kit ?

Is there a difference in quality between what different manufacturers supply ?

e.g Toyota or Volvo.

I have been told (by a car salesman who appeared trustworthy) that manufacturers say it improves the time it takes to get moving again. Obviously if tyre shredded no use.

Tyre repair sealant - Avant

Unfortunately manufacturers don't fit these kits to benefit the customer. They do it so that the car (without spare wheel) weighs less and - by some logic which I have to assume is correct - produces a lower level of emissions.

I've no objection to a space-saver, or even its being an option - but there are some cars which don't even provide room for a space-saver, and I can only suggest that people check carefully when buying a car and avoid these models.

Anyone who doesn't think it matters should imagine themselves on a rural road where there is no mobile phone reception, and their car gets a two-inch gash caused by a pothole, too big for a repair kit.

Tyre repair sealant - RT

Unfortunately manufacturers don't fit these kits to benefit the customer. They do it so that the car (without spare wheel) weighs less and - by some logic which I have to assume is correct - produces a lower level of emissions.

Weight takes energy to accelerate which is wasted slowing down afterwards - that energy can only come from the fuel - and every little improvement helps.

Tyre repair sealant - daveyjp

I was away over Christmas, 250 miles from home. On Sunday we decided to make the most of a cracking day and go for a drive out.

Started driving the car and steering felt very heavy. Got out and nearside front tyre flat as a pancake. Looked around tyre and could see the head of a screw.

Managed to get the tyre pumped up hoping it would hold air if I screwed the screw in further, but no luck. My car thankfully has a skinny spare. Swapped it over, called a local garage which was open and they undertook a puncture repair for the princely sum of £20.

Had I had no spare I would have filled the tyre with gunk, took the screw out, hope it had worked, blown the tyre back up then been faced having to spend £100+ on a tyre and the cost of a new can of gunk.

Had gunk failed it would have been Subaru assist, flatbed to garage for a new tyre which they may not have had in stock.

Spare every time for me.

Tyre repair sealant - Ben 10
Am I right in thinking that most tyre places won't do a puncture repair on a tyre that's had the puncture gunk pumped inside. Too messy for them.
Tyre repair sealant - Wackyracer
I think the thoughts of a can of gunk being quicker than changing a wheel depends on who is doing it. I'm sure I can change a wheel quicker than alot of people could do the can of gunk.

A friend had a puncture on his VW without a spare, used the gunk, then discovered he had a hole the size of a golf ball on the inner wall of the tyre so had to be towed home in the end.

Tyre repair sealant - Engineer Andy

Indeed, and I also find odjectionable the extortionate prices many car manufacturers are charging to have a space-saver fitted (£400 in case of Mazda). Personally (given the high price of cars these days), it should be a much more reasonable priced option or maybe (for safety/personal security reasons [no-one should be left at the side of the road at night/in dodgy areas, especially the more vulnerable members of society]) a standard-fit item still. As many have said (including HJ himself), the gunk doesn't work - it doesn't even on bicycle tyres (as I found out), which are essentially junk and a waste of time/money to repair (presumably even worse for garages/fitters on cars to do).

If, as I would presume, cars that have the option of a space-saver to be fitted and do still stay in the same CO2 group as before and probably makes less than 0.5mpg (probably even less) difference in fuel efficiency, then what's the point? There's weight saving and there's being obsessed about it - manufacturers should concentrate on making their cars practial, as I'm sure they'd sell better if they were.

Tyre repair sealant - Bianconeri

Indeed, and I also find odjectionable the extortionate prices many car manufacturers are charging to have a space-saver fitted (£400 in case of Mazda). Personally (given the high price of cars these days), it should be a much more reasonable priced option or maybe (for safety/personal security reasons [no-one should be left at the side of the road at night/in dodgy areas, especially the more vulnerable members of society]) a standard-fit item still. As many have said (including HJ himself), the gunk doesn't work - it doesn't even on bicycle tyres (as I found out), which are essentially junk and a waste of time/money to repair (presumably even worse for garages/fitters on cars to do).

If, as I would presume, cars that have the option of a space-saver to be fitted and do still stay in the same CO2 group as before and probably makes less than 0.5mpg (probably even less) difference in fuel efficiency, then what's the point? There's weight saving and there's being obsessed about it - manufacturers should concentrate on making their cars practial, as I'm sure they'd sell better if they were.

It is as much about adding the 50 quid or so that a spare would cost in the factory back to the profit margin as anythng else. Did car prices go down when spares suddenly became options? Then of course idiot designers started to leave out the ability to have a spare. Simple remedy, don't buy the products. The badge snobs couldn't do that though could they?

Edited by Bianconeri on 30/12/2015 at 14:05

Tyre repair sealant - FP

"... a car salesman who appeared trustworthy..."

An oxym****, some would say.

However, yes, no spare means less mass, which means less energy to accelerate the car. Mind you, we're talking slight differences, but it shows how desperate car manfacturers are to produce attractive fuel consumption figures, even before there's any fiddling of those figures!

P.S. The swear filter seems not to like m-o-r-o-n.

Edited by FP on 30/12/2015 at 12:39

Clearly the filter is not sufficiently erudite.

Many thanks for these helpful, as usual, posts. With electric handbrakes and/or tyre gunk think I'll keep my motoring with older or more traditional cars.

I'll now consider both deal breakers.

I tend to agree Scot, I have an ever growing list of things I don't want on a car.

Unfortunately, if these things become a legal requirement like TPMS then we will have no option but, to have it.
Tyre repair sealant - Galaxy

The last two punctures I've had have destroyed the tyre. On both occasions I've managed to run over a piece of metal, which has produced a very large cut and I've had to have a new tyre fitted.

Clearly, had I not had a spare wheel to put on, a can of tyre sealer would have been absolutely useless and I'd have been stuck where I was.

Tyre repair sealant - Smileyman

speaking to a friendly motorist a couple of months ago - family holiday, car full to the gills with a passengers and kit, puncture occurs and the spare is fitted - but there is a problem ... the spare was a space saver and the full size wheel won't fit into the same space - so there's now a problem to find somewhere to put a dirty wet wheel .. perhaps a can of glue would have been a better option, I don't recall whether the tyre was repairable or not.

So the solution is to ensure the spare tyre bay is big enough to carry a full size wheel.

Something in my thoughts (and conversations) as I am considering a replacement car for 2016

Tyre repair sealant - daveyjp
I can also report the full sized wheel fitted into the wheel well of the Forester. The jack etc still fitted in the centre of the wheel and the underfloor tray and boot floor all went neatly back into place.

Good observation! I would presumably have the same problem (never checked whether mine can take a full size wheel/tyre) when going on holiday (my boot being completely full - lots of unpacking and putting loose stuff on the back seats (not exactly safe!).

Tyre repair sealant - Pete Mansell

After just 6 weeks of driving a new car without a spare wheel (and after over 50 years of driving with one), an unrepairable puncture meant having to be rescued and 'trailored' home. What should have been 15 minutes inconvenience changing a wheel (even with a space saver), became over 2 hours being rescued, followed by 2 days not being able to use the car whilst waiting for a mobile fitter to get the correct tyre.

I hate to think what would have happened if I'd been on the way to the airport, say. At least when I bought the car, I negotiated a spare to be included, but unfortunately I'm still waiting for it.

probably possible to buy a single wheel from online auction site or breakers yard, then get a good tyre fitted locally - or buy wheel & tyre as a set from overseas online tyre merchant ....

The main thing I'm wondering is whether some (possibly stupid) car manufacturers insist on having the 'option' of having a space saver or full size spare as a factory-only build one, i.e. if not, the car can never have one fitted once it leave the factory.

If so, that would be to many people a non-negotiable item when it comes to buying the car second-hand (it would for me) and could reduce the value of those car by way more than the cost of fitting them (probably why some charge so much now - so much for customer care).

I personally would want a car (I've never checked this on mine, which has a space-saver spare) which has at least a space-saver spare, but preferably a full-size one, as I would presume a full size one (e.g. the failed tyre/wheel combo) would not fit in the space for the space-saver (otherwise why use it - the weight saving over using a full-size spare would be minimal at best).

Thanks for all of the very helpful posts. Interestingly I read that the Auris mid 2015 facelift has restored a spare tyre.

The answer to manufacturers who don't listen is not to buy.

Tyre repair sealant - ED731PDH

SWMBO has a s/h Corsa D. Dinky little thing, came with original tyres, low mileage and a compressor injected poo pot of goo rather than the bare minimum of a space saver. Not happy I was.

So, onto fleabay to an online breakers, sourced out a replacement alloy wheel for £40 which came within a few days, then off to the nearest tyre shop for a basic rubber. All I had to thankfully do to the car was take out the foam insert under the boot floor and stick the wheel into the void.

Any new cars we have in future, it's no to the poo pot, I want a real wheel in my boot.

I hope you also bought a jack and wheel wrench. I usually carry a few pairs of disposable gloves too as I don't want to drive with dirty hands for the rest of the journey and they also come in handy if the fuel station has run out of diesel gloves for filling up etc.

and these days a high-viz vest to wear whilst changing the tyre ...

It must be that 0.2mpg extra that's achieved without the spare/with the tube of gunk that the manufacturers will make all the difference it making one's mind up whether to buy a car or not (as I presume they don't scrape by that near to the mark on CO2 figures for the VED groups so they can't use spare wheels/tyres [full size or space-savers]).

I know I'll be asking for when I'm looking to buy a new car, and it ain't 'where can I store my tube of gunk'. I wonder if all those people happily buying pre-reg/nearly new/1yo cars (i.e. not new to order) will remember to ask whether the car they're buying has a spare (of any sort)/can (and the cost) of having one fitted after manufacture. Otherwise if not, its the tube and a peed off look when the inevitable flat occurs.

Tyre repair sealant - Bromptonaut

My recently acquired 11 plate Roomster SE had gunk and pump at time I test drove. Succeeded in getting a full size spare (steel not alloy) and jack etc as sweetener to close deal.

Very glad I did as I'd only had it a fortnight when I wrecked n/s front on a pothole. Drove on spare for a few days until I could find tyre in brand/price I wanted.

Would otherwise have involved trailer and/or car left on stand on drive while new tyre fitted. Further, the tyre in this circumstance is a distress purchase and is overpriced and/or some budget or mid-price jobby you'd not choose given time.

Tyre repair sealant - Vitesse6

A side effect of no spare wheel and the pot of goo is the sale of dodgy looking tyre repair kits. These allow you to plug a tyre from the outside and reinflate it. As the British Standard for tyre repairs requires the tyre to be removed from the rim and inspected prior to a proper patch/plug repair, the fact that some people are running around on tyres with cheap far eastern rubber plugs glued in them is worrying. These things may hold air for a while, but who knows what tyre damage they are covering up.

Tyre repair sealant - focussed

A side effect of no spare wheel and the pot of goo is the sale of dodgy looking tyre repair kits. These allow you to plug a tyre from the outside and reinflate it. As the British Standard for tyre repairs requires the tyre to be removed from the rim and inspected prior to a proper patch/plug repair, the fact that some people are running around on tyres with cheap far eastern rubber plugs glued in them is worrying. These things may hold air for a while, but who knows what tyre damage they are covering up.

That's what you have to do on a motorcycle to get going again-plug the tyre if possible, re-inflate with a natty little CO2 bulb or two to get you home or to the nearest bike dealer or tyre workshop that deals with bike tyres.

And a handy tip is to carry a selection of 1 inch long countersink self tapping screws in various diameter sizes- find the one that will fit tight in the hole in your tyre, smear it well with repair adhesive, screw it in the hole tight, re-inflate and that will get you slowly off the motorway to a garage.

That's why on my bigger long- distance bikes I use the pre-puncture gel so I am less likely to get stopped broken down on the road.

I can't understand why the car manufacturers don't just install pre-puncture gel instead of the compressor and goo kit.