none - The case against electric vehicles. - focussed

(Translated from the French by Mr Google)

Contrary to the belief of most people, subjected to continual political propaganda and industry, the electric car is no more virtuous to the climate than the thermal car, petrol or diesel.

These are the findings of a study, already old, the Agency of Environment and Energy Management (ADEME), deliberately ignored by the Frence government (Development according to the principles of LCA of energy balance sheets, gas emissions of greenhouse gases and other environmental impacts resulting from all sectors of electric vehicles and internal combustion vehicles by 2012 and 2020, November 2013).

The most crucial factor is that the manufacture of the batteries is so emitting CO 2 that we must have traveled 50 000-100 000 km in electric car to start to be less producer of CO 2 a thermal car. Or from 15 to 30 km a day, 365 days a year, for 10 years!

Knowing that these cars are primarily used for short trips, it is likely that the mileage necessary to estimate "virtuous" will never be reached. In addition, all the CO 2 emitted by an electric car is sent into the atmosphere even before any read or kilometer, while the thermal car emits its CO 2 over time ...

Furthermore, it is claimed that all the electric car does not emit fine particles. But as reports the magazine Science et Vie (January 2015), the "es tires, brakes and road wear emit almost as much as diesel microparticles". While the electric car emits fewer particles than the thermal car, since it does not have a muffler, but it has good brakes, tires and rolling on the tarmac!

In the end, the electric car is not more environmentally friendly than the thermal car. Public money spent on its development is therefore totally unjustified. However, these are astronomical:

- The government launched an installation plan 7 million charging stations at about 10,000 euros each at a cost of about 70 billion euros. Moreover, it is poignant to see the elected officials of small communes, believing to do something for the environment, breaking the municipal piggy bank to afford a terminal;

- The "green" bonus with the purchase of an electric car exceeds 10,000 euros per vehicle, often supplemented by a premium in the region. Almost all buyers are wealthier households: Once again, all the money is available to more privileged.

In reality, the land of the atom, all means are good to "boost" the consumption of electricity in continuous decline for years. For the electric car in France can be regarded as a "nuclear drive": almost all of the installed charging stations are connected to the regular power grid, 80% nuclear.

Do not let deceive by the certificates put forward by Bolloré and its Autolib (Paris), Bluecub (Bordeaux) and Bluely (Lyon), ensuring that they are recharged with renewable energy: there is only of games writing; the electricity used is the same as elsewhere.

We do not just here promoting thermal car, itself an environmental calamity. But, in fact, no one would have the idea of offering 10,000 euros to buy a diesel car, her book parking spaces and fill his tank at a knockdown price! ...

En savoir plus sur www.lemonde.fr/economie/article/2015/10/23/emissio...9

none - The case against electric vehicles. - Bromptonaut

tl;dr - even if properly translated.

tl;dr - even if properly translated.

I'm sorry? I don't understand.

none - The case against electric vehicles. - RobJP

tl;dr = too long; didn't read.

Basically, it's a long-winded article, which, especially after a couple of glasses of Buck's fizz, a large meal, and a generous measure of Bruichladdich, makes your eyes glaze over by the time you're half way through.

Or at least that's what it did to me. On forcing myself to stay awake to the end of the article, it seems to be written from a pro-nuclear power view point in France.

So one vested interest that gets subsidies, bashing another vested interest that gets subsidies.

EDIT : only for spelling corrections. The bruichladdich is rather good *hic*

Edited by RobJP on 25/12/2015 at 21:29

none - The case against electric vehicles. - alan1302

So the best case against electric vehicles is a badly translated French article that makes no sense when read through?!

none - The case against electric vehicles. - Big John

"es tires, brakes and road wear emit almost as much as diesel microparticles"

That’s bicycles classed as environmentally un-friendly then

This would be in favour of electric cars as well rather than against. As a diesel car would emit these as well as the actual diesel particles whilst the lectric car won't have the diesel emissions so is better.

none - The case against electric vehicles. - Bolt

This would be in favour of electric cars as well rather than against. As a diesel car would emit these as well as the actual diesel particles whilst the lectric car won't have the diesel emissions so is better.

Where is electric better?, if and when electric becomes mainstream I supect the experts will find something to complain about with them.

IMO its a no win situation and better off sticking to what we know, and make them more efficient,elecy will cause other problems that may be more expensive to fix

none - The case against electric vehicles. - galileo

Remember the UK has only about 2% margin of electricity supply over potential peak demand in a cold, windless night, thanks to succesive lots of politicians kicking the can of generating capacity down the road.

The last major politician who had any sort of scientific education was Mrs Thatcher: Eton obviously neglects basic Physics and Chemistry, so the present regime believes any BS that pressure groups feed them. That includes all the so called experts living on research grants.

Tens of thousands of electric cars plugged in for overnight charging would mean reading by candlelight (unless the EU had banned candles for emitting CO2).

none - The case against electric vehicles. - madf

Remember the UK has only about 2% margin of electricity supply over potential peak demand in a cold, windless night, thanks to succesive lots of politicians kicking the can of generating capacity down the road.

The last major politician who had any sort of scientific education was Mrs Thatcher: Eton obviously neglects basic Physics and Chemistry, so the present regime believes any BS that pressure groups feed them. That includes all the so called experts living on research grants.

Tens of thousands of electric cars plugged in for overnight charging would mean reading by candlelight (unless the EU had banned candles for emitting CO2).

No you are of course wrong. Overnight charging will be by solar power...... errrr..

none - The case against electric vehicles. - Wackyracer
[quote]Tens of thousands of electric cars plugged in for overnight charging would mean reading by candlelight (unless the EU had banned candles for emitting CO2).[/quote]

Do you think the Queen was trying to tell us something when she said "It's better to light a candle than to curse the dark"? Maybe she knows when we will run out of capacity as all the idiots in government keep decommissioning perfectly working power stations to keep the EU happy by lowering our carbon emissions.

No, it doesn't. More power generation is what would be needed.

No, it doesn't. More power generation is what would be needed.

You have not read my post carefully:more power generation IS needed but successive governments have not only failed to ensure new nuclear and gas stations have been built, but have spinelessly agreed to shut the existing coal plants we have, even though Germany is cheerfully building new lignite-burning ones.

Don't tell me wind and solar power will make up the shortfall, I said we would have problems on cold, windless nights, even on sunny, windy days these are supplying a pathetically small percentage of demand.

For them to supply all current demand, it would be necessary to cover half of England with solar panels and half of Scotland with wind turbines.

As it is, the government has now realised they need backup, so are funding standby diesel generator sets as well as trying to build gas powered plant to cover contingencies, as lead time for large power stations is several years.

none - The case against electric vehicles. - corax
even though Germany is cheerfully building new lignite-burning ones.

They've had to, because they realised that their program of renewables was not going to make up the shortfall. They decided against nuclear power even though Germany isn't near any dangerous faultlines.

Where is electric better?, if and when electric becomes mainstream I supect the experts will find something to complain about with them.

IMO its a no win situation and better off sticking to what we know, and make them more efficient,elecy will cause other problems that may be more expensive to fix

Read what I quoted - makes it very clear why it's better than a diesel car...less emissions out the back.

There aren't any major propbelsm to fix with electric cars. You just need more power generationwhich can be easily done if someone is willing to pay.

Read what I quoted - makes it very clear why it's better than a diesel car...less emissions out the back.

There aren't any major propbelsm to fix with electric cars. You just need more power generationwhich can be easily done if someone is willing to pay.

I did read what you had written,the problem is your diverting emissions from the car to the power station which is not very helpfull,thats what I meant

Just because an electric car has no emissons also doesnt mean its not dangerous, massive voltages and current needed to drive the motors put greater risk of killer current around those inside so I`m not so sure electric is a good idea safety wise

none - The case against electric vehicles. - FP

"Just because an electric car has no emissons also doesnt mean its not dangerous, massive voltages and current needed to drive the motors put greater risk of killer current around those inside..."

I don't think anyone seriously feels there is an electrical hazard associated with electric cars, except where there has been a catastrophic accident and high-voltage wires (insulation coded orange) are exposed. (I believe there has been training for emergency services regarding this.) Whether this is more dangerous than a scenario where a conventional car is in an accident, petrol is spilling and there is danger of it igniting is doubtful.

There has been some concern about electromagnetic fields in the Prius, for example, but tests showed that there was no risk to people with pacemakers, so I don't think this is an issue.

none - The case against electric vehicles. - nailit

We should have built more Nuclear power stations decades ago (as the French did) but the Governments refused to listen to the scientific advice, instead listening to the nambi pambie Green peeps. Who whinged about radioactive waste such as overalls and boots etc. which was trivial if you compare to say a popular Cornish Town beach! Just dig down a few inches to the scree (from the old mines) and your Geiger counter will show more radiactivity! or some of the public walkways may even have evidence of the same.

Think I may have been breathing too much of that Radon gas :-( need more alcohol......

Edited by nailit on 27/12/2015 at 14:27

none - The case against electric vehicles. - Bromptonaut

We should have built more Nuclear power stations decades ago (as the French did) but the Governments refused to listen to the scientific advice, instead listening to the nambi pambie Green peeps.

More about nimbys than nambies I think.......

France, with same population in 2.5 times the land area has more space in which to lose such facilities. Also arguable that Gaulist constitution, at least as interpreted in early years of 5th Republic, allowed executive dictat that wouldn't have passed so easily in UK.

Simle arithmetic: a ball-park consumption of a pure electric car is estimated as 34 KWH for 100 miles.

To recharge overnight (11hours) needs 3KW to be supplied.

1000 cars, 3MW

1000,000 cars, 3000MW. There are 30 million cars now, only a few hundred using mains electricity. (Current capacity of Drax is 3900MW, most nuclear plants are 2000MW or less.) To power similar number of cars then needs another 30 or 40 new stations.

No way can this much extra supply be put in place for many years, even if a government decides to do it, overriding the nimbys, so car ownership will be restricted if IC engines are banned.

(And how is it proposed by the tree-huggers to power the trucks which distribute everything we consume and use? 44 tonners with 24 ton batteries?)

(And how is it proposed by the tree-huggers to power the trucks which distribute everything we consume and use? 44 tonners with 24 ton batteries?)

Yes- the ecoloons don't discuss how heavy road transport is to be powered.

Best to double the number of power stations required just to be on the safe side then!

Your simple estimate set me thinking.

How many of the current crop of politicians could sit down and do basic calcs like that?

Not many I warrant.

Therein lies the problem. Too many of 'em with soppy PPE degrees.

none - The case against electric vehicles. - Sofa Spud

You miss one major statistic - it takes less electricity to charge an electric car than it would to refine the fuel to run an equivalent internal combustion engined car.

www.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-and-chris-paine-...T

I did read what you had written,the problem is your diverting emissions from the car to the power station which is not very helpfull,thats what I meant

Just because an electric car has no emissons also doesnt mean its not dangerous, massive voltages and current needed to drive the motors put greater risk of killer current around those inside so I`m not so sure electric is a good idea safety wise

Emissions from power stations can be as good as bad as you want -wind,solar/water(hydro) obvisously have pretty much none and nuclear power is perfect forlarger amounts of electric.

No idea why you think an electric car is dangerous because of the electric used in the car though.Surely petrol car must be quite dangerous with all that flamable liquid on board? LOL

It's government/power companies and lack of investment that would make electric cars not wok out. Not the cars themseves.

none - The case against electric vehicles. - corax

It's strange how there has been years of opposition against nuclear power stations because of the problem of dealing with waste.

Now plans have been put forward for a new power station built at Bradwell using Chinese technology.

I'm sceptical of China given their track record with pollution and disregard for their people's health.

As mentioned above we should have built new power stations years ago with proven methods. Sometimes you just have to pay the money for reliable, clean power for future needs. It's a pretty important part of modern life isn't it?

I'm hoping that the planning and safety consultations fall through before they have a chance to build it.

But what then? It's back to square one. I might be wrong, and Chinese power stations could be the best in the world, but they don't seem to like communicating much, and that's suspicious too.

If the lights start to go out, then you'll see how quickly a civilised society will begin to implode. Maybe I'm being over dramatic, but with the population rising all the time where does it end?

Happy new year.

Edited by corax on 28/12/2015 at 10:50

none - The case against electric vehicles. - Wackyracer
I'm not against nuclear power at all but, having the Chinese building and operating them does worry me a bit.

It is likely there has been incidents in China with nuclear power stations which have not been admitted to, much the same as the soviet union.

I'm not against nuclear power at all but, having the Chinese building and operating them does worry me a bit. It is likely there has been incidents in China with nuclear power stations which have not been admitted to, much the same as the soviet union.

Wont matter who builds/designs them there is always an element of risk, that goes for anything man made

although whatever direction we take in producing more power there will always be some opposition

we will still need more power stations if we go all EV`s thats without the extra cabling involved unless new tech comes into play (doubtfull but you never know)

Don't forget the Eton and Oxbridge educated chaps in charge have signed up to a legal requirement to reducing ALL UK CO2 emissions by 80%.

I'm only a grammar school and redbrick university lad but I can figure out that this is completely impossible with our current population.

If there were only a few tens of thousands, as at the time of Alfred the Great, we could grow our own turnips and weave rough habits from our sheeps' wool, living in turf huts, huddling together for warmth in winter.

Don't forget the Eton and Oxbridge educated chaps in charge have signed up to a legal requirement to reducing ALL UK CO2 emissions by 80%.

I'm only a grammar school and redbrick university lad but I can figure out that this is completely impossible with our current population.

If there were only a few tens of thousands, as at the time of Alfred the Great, we could grow our own turnips and weave rough habits from our sheeps' wool, living in turf huts, huddling together for warmth in winter.

IIRC there is a hefty fine if we cant comply (I think its impossible) London gets a large fine if we dont clean up I think by 2020, it has been said its unlikely to be cleaned up by 2030

Then there is India, undoing what we have supposedly been doing for years

none - The case against electric vehicles. - jamie745

I think the point about lack of electricity stock is the biggest argument against electric cars. If even half the population had one every city would go dark. Quite unnecessary given the doomsday prediction about oil prices has not come to pass. I remember not so long ago being told it'd soon be a million dollars a barrel and there'll be none left within five years blah blah blah.

I think the point about lack of electricity stock is the biggest argument against electric cars. If even half the population had one every city would go dark. Quite unnecessary given the doomsday prediction about oil prices has not come to pass. I remember not so long ago being told it'd soon be a million dollars a barrel and there'll be none left within five years blah blah blah.

I have been looking at National Grid numbers, which are as follows:

Peak demand could be as much as 60 to 70 GW.

Coal and gas can supply 50 GW and nuclear about 10-15.

(But some coal stations are due to close, as are some nuclear plants.)

Maximum from wind (when it blows at the right speed) is about 8 GW

We buy 2GW from France and 1GW from Holland.

Not much margin for increases in demand.

none - The case against electric vehicles. - jamie745

Don't worry about that. I'm stocking up on the tinned food for when the zombies come.

none - The case against electric vehicles. - ExA35Owner

This display is interesting...shows current electricity demand and supply

www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

none - The case against electric vehicles. - Lygonos

Simple arithmetic: a ball-park consumption of a pure electric car is estimated as 34 KWH for 100 miles.

To recharge overnight (11hours) needs 3KW to be supplied....

1000,000 cars = 3GW

Assuming 100miles every day per car (36,500 miles pa seems a tad high)....

Even if this was the case, at night the demand for electricty drops from 40-50GW during the day to around 20-30GW so the infrastructure would cope easily with supplying 34GWh overnight.

Also those 1m cars travelling 100miles would have used around 2.5m gallons of fuel (assuming ~40mpg) every day which (at around 45kWh per gallon) is over 100GWh of thermal energy which could, if necessary, be stuffed into a diesel power station to produce the energy required for recharging the cars.

Part of the issue with the supply of electricty to the UK is the relatively high demand during the day compared to overnight - a decent chunk of electric vehicle recharge would improve the efficiency of the network in this regard.

Edited by Lygonos on 30/12/2015 at 12:55

none - The case against electric vehicles. - Engineer Andy

The problem (other than generation capacity [the REALLY big one]) is that battery-powered cars have a short range, and in reality most people need to 'refuel' their cars during the day (or at least not just before they go to bed) when they are out driving elsewhere, whether visiting family/friends (quite often well over the range of an electrically-powered car) or for work pruposes (similar, but with the added problem of not having hours to wait during a trip for it to recharge [maybe more than once] or having sufficient facilities to do so on the way or at their destination.

I, as someone who lives in a flat, cannot realistically charge my car overnight for obvious reasons, nor canour development afford to pay for the cost of installing charging points/power cabling on every space (including for visitors) - we don't have the space or perhaps even the local distribution capacity. Even if we did, given they would be in communal areas, they would be vulnerable to damage (even in a relatively low crime area we still get some problems in addition to minor accidents) which we would have to pay for (which no doubt would not be cheap).

Electric cars being the 'dominant' form of personal transport is a far-off dream - I would say we're easily 30-50 years away from it being a reality - we need time to slowly build up electricity generating capacity, additional distribution (mostly locally), secure/quick/inexpensive charging points for those who cannot charge at home and less polluting ways of generating the electricity than just moving petrol/diesel pollution from exhaust pipes to power station chimneys (given the losses in distribution), never mind making significant improvements to battery technology (which itself isn't exactly friendly to the environment) to give cars the same range, boot space and performance as petrol/diesel ones.

none - The case against electric vehicles. - RT

EVs suit commuters but not a more general usage pattern, much like public transport - so lets put EVs where they belong, as an alternative to public transport - or better still not bother with EVs at all and go straight to all-electric trains and hybrid buses and avoid all the problems parking cars in cities.

This display is interesting...shows current electricity demand and supply

www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

So is ours across the water-

www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/france/

Current demand (14.57 hrs 30/12/15) 58.2 GW

Our nukes are doing 92% of total demand which includes supplying a lot of western europe as well, including 2.5GW to the UK.