Adviser Citroen C5 two types gearbox - fv43576

I am looking for used Citroen C5 2.2HDI 136 VTR hatchback which is average 44mpg, but I did not know that later model 2003-2004 add 6 speed gear. I though it will improve the mpg and cruise on motorway better so I have been search on C5 specifications try to find out how many extra mpg, performance and road tax but all info on both gears are the same.

I want to buy the 6 speed if it do lot better than 5 speed but I can't verified myself without ask someone who have own C5 with 5 and 6 gears please share with me

Edited by fv43576 on 24/12/2015 at 13:24

Adviser Citroen C5 two types gearbox - 72 dudes

Some years ago I owned a 2001 C5 2.2HDi SX with 136 BHP and the 5 speed gearbox.

I would advise against the 2.2 engine, it was seriously complicated with a multitude of pressure sensors, plus a small tank of diesel additive which used to squirt into the main fuel tank every third or fourth fill-up.

The car often went into limp mode, with an array of warning lights coming on.

The model you want with the 6 speed gearbox is the facelifted version from 2005 onwards. This had a 2.0 HDi engine with 138 BHP and was available in VTR+ and Exclusive trim.

This revised engine was more reliable, didn't have the stupid diesel additive tank or as many sensors. It was also slightly more economical with an EC combined figure of (IIRC) 47.9 MPG.

There was also a 173 BHP version of the 2.2 HDi at around this time, also to be avoided.

Adviser Citroen C5 two types gearbox - madf

Car Mechanics did one of their regualr analyses of faults on teh 2.2HDI engine in a Peugoet coupe.

The list of faults - which were obviously failry common - just conformed my anti French view,, (cars that is, not people) And as baove, it's a complex bit of kit so you are dependent on your dealer if anything goes wrong. So budget £1k minimum in repair costs every 2 years..

Edited by madf on 24/12/2015 at 18:40

Adviser Citroen C5 two types gearbox - fv43576

Thank you, I better go for the 2.0 HDI. The 2.2HDI sounds poor than I though so I am glad ask first before I was go to buy it.

Merry Christmas

Fab.

Adviser Citroen C5 two types gearbox - Tester

72 dudes - Sorry that you had a bad time with the 2.2/136 bhp - I guess some do and some don't! I've had one for almost 14 years now and the engine is going beautifully. Yes, it does use Eolys fluid to catalyse the first-generation DPF but the tank has only needed to be topped up every 50-60,000 miles. The original DPF lasted 94,000 miles and cost £300 to replace at my trusted local garage. And it needed a new MAF sensor at about 90,000 miles - no big deal - which was the only time I had issues with limp mode. For sure, it's not outstandingly economical; I get about 40 mpg brim-to-brim in mixed use, up to 45 mpg on a long run. The upside is that it's smooth, quiet and pulls like a train even after all these years.

If there are any around then they'd be dirt cheap so possibly worth a punt as you'd only be risking a few hundred pounds

Edited by Tester on 28/12/2015 at 15:46