Auction Provisionals - Vin
I've got a problem with Provisional sales at Auction.

I'm not a trader, but I do like to buy my own cars at auction. My problem is that I can bid for a car, the bid's accepted provisionally, then a couple of hours later I find that the sellers have not accepted the bid. I'm left with no car, and I have to wend my weary way home and come back another day.

So, my question is, if I bid and am accepted provisionally on a couple of cars where the seller subsequently accepts the bid, am I stuck with trying to drive two cars home down the M3? Do I have the right to say "stuff this for a lark, much as I like them, I only need one Omega at a time"?

I have a feeling that, as the hammer never drops, I'm not legally committed to either car, but I'm not certain about this.

On a side issue, this highlights the whole problem of provisionals. The seller should put a realistic reserve on the car, and it either sells or doesn't.

I know I could call BCA and ask them, but I prefer the fun of the real world answers I get on the site.
Re: Auction Provisionals - fecker
I used to work for BCA.
You don't have to accept a car on a provisional as it is just that - provisional.

Case 1 - You bid £1000 they say they want £1500 - you walk away.

Case 2 - You bid £1000 provisional - they accept - you can change your mind and can walk away.

Do they want a deposit from you when you bid provisionally?

I'd still check the terms with BCA as things might have changed since I last worked there about 10 years ago.

btw - don't trust the Engineers Reports - it's not that they're fraudulent or decietful- it's just that they don't have any Engineers - basically a monkey like me would start the engine - check the clutch by having handbrake on full and giving it a dab - that was about it.....
Re: Auction Provisionals - JohnF
How complicated is obtaining a log book for a car bought at an auction without one.

I have read HJs advice re auctions. Can anyone add to this regarding models and venues
Re: Auction Provisionals - fecker
Cars are often sold at auction with "Books to Follow" often they don't turn up.
It doesn't matter, just nip down to the post office and apply for a new one.

What's more important is the service book - if the car is sold with history, you really must check this exists.
Re: Auction Provisionals - honstjohn
In answer to fecker and Vin, yes you do have to hand over a deposit if you make the last bid and the car is sold to you provisionally. If you bid for two cars and your bids for both are accepted provisionally, then one of the vendors says "get it gone", you can pay for that one and cancel your unaccepted provisional bid for the other car.
But have a word with the auctioneer about each bid after you make it to fid out how far apart you are from the reserve and what he thinks the vendor can be persuaded to accept.

HJ
Re: Auction Provisionals - Vin
On Friday afternoon, I called BCA at Blackbushe and was told that if my bid is accepted provisionally then if the seller agrees with that price I have to take it.

Now, this conflicts with both common sense and the replies above. But he DID sound like a spotty Herbert who might not know better, so I'll ask at the auction desk next time I go up.
Re: Auction Provisionals - Vin
On Friday afternoon, I called BCA at Blackbushe and was told that if my bid is accepted provisionally then if the seller agrees with that price I have to take it.

Now, this conflicts with both common sense and the replies above. But he DID sound like a spotty Herbert who might not know better, so I'll ask at the auction desk next time I go up.