Ford Mondeo Mk2 V6 1999 192,000 miles - Car alarm - Cicero

The alarm is going off constantly, I have disconnected the sounder, to avoid disturbing the neighbours, but the indicators still flash.

I have traced the problem to the bonnet sensor switch which is not being held sufficiently tightly closed when the bonnet is shut down. (The protective rubber bellows is breaking up and I imagine water has got into the switch). As a bodge, I have placed a small sheet of foamed polythene packaging between the switch and the underside of the bonnet. This has worked but I now need a more permanent solution.

I am content with having no alarm - insurers will regard the car as having no value anyway. My questions are: how do I disable the bonnet sensor switch? Can I simply disconnect it or should I put a short across it and will the car still start?

Plan C is - any other suggestions, please?

I would be grateful for any help offered. Thanks.

Ford Mondeo Mk2 V6 1999 192,000 miles - Car alarm - elekie&a/c doctor
Can,t remember exactly,either disconnect the wires to the switch or join them together.also,if I recall,the alarm only sets on double lock,(2 presses of lock button on remote)
Ford Mondeo Mk2 V6 1999 192,000 miles - Car alarm - Galaxy

Common problem on the Mark 2 Mondeo. I had exactly the same with mine and just couldn't fathom out what the problem was.

As elekie says, I can't remember whether you need to just unplug the connector or join the wires together to do away with the bonnet sensor, either. But if you just unplug the bonnet sensor and then try setting the alarm you'll soon find out! If it goes off immediately then you will know that you need to join the wires together.

Alternatively, you could do what I did when I had the same problem and buy a new sensor. About £35 from what I remember, though you could probably find one on a car in a breakers for peanuts. However, as you've found, they do give problems.

After I'd changed mine I dismantled the old one and discovered that I could have, in fact, cleaned up the internal contacts of the switch and it would have probably been OK again.

So, that's three different options. As they say on the TV, "The choice is yours!"

Edited by Galaxy on 20/12/2015 at 14:49

Many thanks to both of you, I will try your suggestions and let you know the outcome.

Just reporting back.

After disconnecting the switch the car runs normally but does not flash the indicators on the second locking.

After shorting the supply wires to the switch the car runs normally and the indicator flashing is restored on the second locking.

In neither case does locking the car with the window partially open and then inserting an arm and waving it about set off the alarm.

A new switch from Ford comes out at about £45 so I might go ahead with that. The parts man had the number in his head, he had supplied so many of these in the past.

Ford Mondeo Mk2 V6 1999 192,000 miles - Car alarm - Galaxy

Hello Cicero,

Many thanks for coming back and letting us know how you have been getting on. So, from what you say, it appears the switch must operate in the "Normally Closed" mode, as you say it's impossible to double-lock the car with the contacts open. I thought this would just immediately set the alarm off but, since you obviously cannot arm the alarm, or that part of it, nothing happens.

I don't know whether your Mondeo has motion sensors fitted to detect internal movement within the vehicle. Mine was only Zetec model and most certainly didn't have these fitted. However, if yours happens to be a Ghia, or similar, they may well be installed. If these sensors are not fitted then no amount of movement within the vehicle, even if the alarm is activated, will set it off.

A brand new switch, I do have to say, is probably the very best option to solve the problem and was, indeed, the option I went for myself a few years ago. It's worth having a look on Ebay because there are Ford Main Dealers on there who sell genuine Ford parts at a considerable discount - it was one of these who I purchased my bonnet switch from.

Hello Galaxy,

Thanks for your detailed reply. The car is an Si V6 and I always assumed that it had motion sensors fitted, since it mentions them in the handbook, although I have been puzzled because they weren't obviously visible. On relection, I think you are almost certainly correct. My excuse is - I've only had the car nearly 17 years!

I did look at on-line dealers but by the time postage is added it came out to be about the same price. Our local dealer is within walking distance. I haven't had any luck finding anything on ebay.