cost of electronic modules - mike7
many drivers are finding that the cost of replacing E.C.U.s on cars out of guarantee is prohibitive, e.g. A.B.S. module on a Citroen- £2000. Many current cars have several modules fitted. I believe that these items are grossly overpriced as a deliberate policy of the car makers. Is there a case for the car makers to be taken to task by the Office of Fair Trading or similar? Does anybody have any examples of excessive pricing of electronic modules?
cost of electronic modules - Ian (Cape Town)
The other problem is they are normally "potted" so you can't have a go at fixing them yourself.
cost of electronic modules - SteveH42
ECU for an old (G-reg) Mitsubishi Gallant. Around £1000. I was asked to look inside the old one to see if I could fix it - not possible as it had burned out quite badly. Total cost of the components inside? Probably about a tenner...
cost of electronic modules - volvoman
It's just this sort of thing that prompted me to start the Horror Expenses thread to expose these rip off charges and warn punters. People tend not to consider the huge cost of these items when buying cars and then have heart failure when something goes 'pop' and they get the bill ! The only way to stop these rip-offs is to publicise them so please put the details in the above mentioned thread.