Renault Clio III - Help with buying a second car - VitorM

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forum and I'm after a bit of advice regarding buying a second hand car... I've been hunting for a small hatchback for my other half for a while now. She's going to do about 8 miles a day Monday to Friday and doesn't want anything fancy so my initial thoughts were:

- Small engine (1.2 to 1.4)
- Petrol
- 3 Door
- Cost to £2.5k

I've been looking around for a Clio, Corsa, etc. and found a 07 plate Clio for £2k from a main dealer (Ford) but I'm a bit concerned that it sounds too cheap.

The car is an 07 plate with 77K miles. It has had 2 owners and its in very good condition (looking at photos as i'm 100 miles away from it). It has some service history with renault but the last owner was married to a mechanic who serviced the vehicle himself. The story I was told was that the lady was Irish and bought a brand new Ford and took it back to Ireland to claim tax back?! (Or something like that)

For my £2k the dealier is willing to:

- Service the vehicle
- MOT
- Give me 1 year warranty
- Replace cambelt and water pump (for my peace of mind)

A quick check on autotrader shows me that the car value is about £1.8k private e £2.4k dealer... So it does come across as "too good to be true" if you know what I mean.

What do you reckon? Should I be concerned, should I continue looking for something with full service history? Or just go with it and trust the dealer?

I do need to book a test drive...

Thanks!

V.

Renault Clio III - Help with buying a second car - oldroverboy.

" A Hundred miles away"

If it goes wrong can you return it to the dealer to be fixed, and are you aware that the " warranty" is so much toilet paper" If it is a "dealer warranty" you will have to return the car to get it fixed.

Personally I would try to find something a whole lot nearer.

Buyer Beware, sorry not to be more optimistic, but have read too many posts here and elsewhere ehre there is a problem and dealer won't fix unless car returned and aftermarket warranty too many age/wear and tear exclusions.

Renault Clio III - Help with buying a second car - RobJP

Cars are nearly always cheaper before christmas. Sales are low, people don't look for cars this month unless they need to. So that puts you at an advantage. Do bear in mind that your advantage ends on the 24th December, though.

If it's coming from a reputable dealer (rather than some backstreet shyster) AND is going to be serviced AND getting the cambelt done AND is coming with 1 year warranty, then go for it - once it's had a decent test-drive, of course, and you're happy with all that.

Also, (for if you do decide to buy it) go and look up 'consumer rights act 2015'. New legislation that came in earlier this year. If you buy it and get any problems (that were not brought to your attention before the sale) within 30 days, you have the absolute right to return it for a full refund. They can ASK to try to repair, but it is YOUR choice.

EDIT : didn't see the distance away. Hmmm. Makes it a bit more awkward. You will be responsible for returning to them if repairs (or rejection) needed, at your own cost.

Edited by RobJP on 15/12/2015 at 17:07

Renault Clio III - Help with buying a second car - Avant

I agree with the others - try to find something from a dealer nearer home so that you can get anything fixed if needed.

At £2k condition matters more than age or mileage, but if you want a suggestion, have a look for a Toyota Yaris (likely to be reliable even at that age) or a Ford Fiesta (lots of them around). Try for a full service history if you can get it.

I wouldn't be too keen on a Clio: Renault engines last well but the electrics tend to fail expensively as the miles mount up.

Renault Clio III - Help with buying a second car - HandCart

I'll second that.
I have a Renault in the household, and the electrics/electronics are increasingly gaining a mind of their own. Trust is most definitely dwindling, which is a shame because it's a comfortable and economical car.

I'd definitely be looking at Yarises, though they're not very cheap, so maybe also consider Suzukis and the Mitsubishi Colt. Plenty of Fiestas around, and any place can service them.

Thanks! I struggled to find something close to home in terms of good dealers. You'll find people trading in multiple names, small dealers that look really dodgy, etc.

I neven thought it was going to be this hard to buy a second hand car.

I will look into the Yaris and the Fiesta, any particular engine or trim?

Edited by VitorM on 15/12/2015 at 18:04

Renault Clio III - Help with buying a second car - galileo

I agree with the others - try to find something from a dealer nearer home so that you can get anything fixed if needed.

At £2k condition matters more than age or mileage, but if you want a suggestion, have a look for a Toyota Yaris (likely to be reliable even at that age) or a Ford Fiesta (lots of them around). Try for a full service history if you can get it.

I'd also suggest a Yaris rather than a Clio. Purely from my observations Clios seem to be more popular around here with boy racers who thrash them unmercifully, A Yaris isn't regarded as having any street cred with them so may have had an easier life; a 1.3 is quite quick though and handles well, as ever, condition and service history need a close look.

Renault Clio III - Help with buying a second car - corax

The Yaris 1.0 is adequate if you're only doing urban driving/short journeys. It's surprisingly nippy from the off due to it's low gearing, but that becomes a disadvantage on faster roads where it's revving quite high at the legal limit, so the 1.3 is the best compromise.

Renault Clio III - Help with buying a second car - Andrew-T

Second (nearly) all of the above. If you are after a run-of-the-mill car, there's little sense in going more than 10-15 miles for one. If you are able to, take your time looking until a good one appears. But before travelling to buy, make sure the model you want is comfortable for madam to drive - you can do that nearer home.

Renault Clio III - Help with buying a second car - Chris M

The OP hasn't said whether insurance costs are a factor but the Clio/Fiesta/Yaris sector car prices are boosted by the young driver market. If possible, I'd suggest looking at Focus sized cars where there are likely to be more bargains to be had.

Thanks! I have thought about the Focus but then it seemed too much for we need. I'm not too worried with insurance to be honest. My other half is 32 and has been driving my company car for a few years.