Volkswagen Polo IV Blue GT - Scored Brake disc - Bert Shaft
My Wife's 6 week old VW Blue GT - Sudden brake problems. The brakes feel " Grindy " and rough underfoot. The front offside disc is deeply scored while the front near side is flawless.
Visit to the Dealer who informs her that it's "Likely to be a stone" The service manager didn't drive it to test the braking himself. Could it be a fault with a sticky calliper piston.? I remain dubious that a stone jammed in the calliper could cause such scoring to a new cast iron brake disc.
Advice please folks.... Obliged. Bert.
Volkswagen Polo IV Blue GT - Scored Brake disc - RT

I don't see why a new disk is any less prone to scoring from stones than a used one - gravel/stones can and do get jammed between the pad and disk which will cause scoring.

Volkswagen Polo IV Blue GT - Scored Brake disc - bathtub tom

>>The brakes feel " Grindy " and rough underfoot.

That was the sensation you got in my Nissan when the ABS operated.

Volkswagen Polo IV Blue GT - Scored Brake disc - Cyd

as RT said ^^^^^

Volkswagen Polo IV Blue GT - Scored Brake disc - John F

Makes me think of something that shouldn't have been there embedded in the pad from new. I think stones getting trapped between the pad and disc for any length of time is a vanishingly rare occurrence these days. What did the pad look like?

Volkswagen Polo IV Blue GT - Scored Brake disc - Peter.N.

The only other thing that can cause it is the pads being worn down to the metal, if they are'nt then a stone or some gravel is the only rational explanation. If the brakes work OK I wouldn't worry about it, a large proportion of vehicles on the road have scored discs.

Volkswagen Polo IV Blue GT - Scored Brake disc - jc2

Six weeks old!!!

Volkswagen Polo IV Blue GT - Scored Brake disc - sammy1

surely you didn't come away from the dealership without getting it fixed? If so take it somewhere else for a second opinion but get it fixed, Money wise £100 tops can argue with the dealer later or be more forceful in the first place.

I cannot see a stone causing this more like a fauty/sticking caliper

Volkswagen Polo IV Blue GT - Scored Brake disc - Bert Shaft
Still the same issue, having driven it myself yesterday.Ragged it a little and it's plainly not right.I agree that it's likely to be a defective piston or calliper. Such a shame because it ruins otherwise such a fabulous little car.
Apparently it was road tested, at the very least I would of expected they take the pad out to take a look and inspect it or see if something's jammed tight in there.
So it's back to the dealer, who couldn't care less by the way.
Give them an opertunity to Fix it, then I will have it assessed independently. If there is an issue The car will be rejected. With brakes I feel that there is a fundamental duty of care to not only us but every one else out there should there be potential for a sudden brake failure. My fourth new VW and I have never had a problem before. Thanx everyone for the advice it's much appreciated.