Toyota's and camshaft drive belts - EdwardGeoffrey
When I recently asked a Toyota salesman if the engine of the new Avensis had a rubber belt driven camshaft, he replied that with the exception of the Yaris diesel, ALL Toyota's now had chain driven camshafts.
Can anyone confirm this please?
Toyota's and camshaft drive belts - Gazza
All Toyota have belt except Yaris diesel which has chain and LandCruiser Diesel which has gears.
Toyota's and camshaft drive belts - Dave N
Gazza, Landcruiser 4.2 straight sixes have gears for the pump, and cambelt for the cam.
Toyota's and camshaft drive belts - Gazza
Oops, Dave thanks for the information.
Toyota's and camshaft drive belts - SteveH42
Are you sure? Cam/timing belt checks or replacements are not listed in the service manual for the Yaris, and while I can't find any definite information, the Toyota Echo (Yaris in Australia) is shown as having a cam chain.
Toyota's and camshaft drive belts - DIRM
I've recently been talking with a friend of ours (Toyota dealer) who tells me that the new 03 Avensis are all chain cam engines except the D4-D. There is a new diesel engine arriving in May this year which I also believe will be chain cam.
If it's true, it's GREAT news!
Toyota's and camshaft drive belts - eMBe {P}
E.G.: On this site there are two excellent features which deserve to be used more often:

1. car by car breakdown - you may find answer there.
2. For a specific question like yours, it is also worth using the search facility, in your case input " toyota avensis 2003 chain cam " and it comes up with the link to HJ's car-by-car breakdown.

The answers to the Avensis, & Yaris Diesel questions are, according to HJ:

Avensis: 2.0 litre chain cam 147bhp VVTi direct injected petrol.

Yaris: New Japanese built 74bhp, 125lb ft torque chain-cam 1,364cc D4-D diesel from March 2002.

By implication, all other Toyota engines have cam-belts. Unless someone knows different.
Many thanks MB.
Really appreciate the info