For Ben Chapman - SjB {P}
Hi Ben,

My much enjoyed, spotless, 51K, silver Vectra GSi Estate often written about in the BR has just been collected at the end of it's lease, and is apparently headed for Blackbushe, on Tuesday or Wednesday this week. With only a few hundred of this precise variant ever made, I doubt if there will be any others up for grabs, and would love to know what it fetches, if you see it go. Wanted to buy it for the missus, but insurance was a killer.

I asked HJ the same question, but he won't be attending and thought you might.

Cheers!

PS Having seen the rate at which the leasing company's driver disappeared down the road after collecting it, there is always the chance that it never made it back to base, let alone to auction!
For Ben Chapman - Ben {P}
Tried to send you an e-mail but no address in your profile.

Car not showing up on auction view.

Will not be there tomo as looking after kid sister. Might make it wednesday. I will post here, with a price, if i do.

Ben
For Ben Chapman - Dan J
Damn damn damn - if we'd have known someone was going we could've done a before and after tyre check. Wonder how much the leaseco's driver can take off 'em between yours and the auction? I think even we'd be surprised!
Thanks Ben.
I planned to go to auction today, but unfortunately my sister has fallen ill, so i have had to stay in and look after her.

After looking at auction view, i think your car is due for sale on friday. I presume its an 00W with 51k miles.

Ben
Thanks Ben.
Yes, silver, 00W, with 51K miles.

Company car or not, I looked after it as I do my own cars, so yes, it was me who kept the engine polished, and estate or not, the load bay unmarked despite the number of times it has been used. Look underneath, and the original Irmscher exhaust system is as solid as new. Someone is going to buy the most honest motor they ever will. I just hope they know that what sounds like wheel bearing grumble is not, and is simply a tyre wear characteristic (loads of rear camber to make it handle), this being the only 'feature' to be aware of.

Given the above and that there is a thriving 'GSi' culture to be fed with (I think) only 350 GSi estates (versus thousands of saloons and hathes), it will be interesting to see if it is treated as 'just another Vectra', as I fully expect, or whether it's qualities (It is not just another Vectra to drive, leaving others I have driven for dead) are recognized.

Friday will tell!

Cheers for now.
I will take a peak if i am there on friday. But i might be buying in Newcastle then.

How long did you get out of a set of rear tyres on that with all that much negetive camber on the back? I presume it still understeered.

I know what you mean about the GSi culture. I see loads of boy racers drving these cars in Newcastle.
Avon ZZ1 - 13K fronts and 16K rears. Original Yokos about five minutes! Unless being stupid with a lead foot, understeer levels were much lower than most FWD cars I have driven. ?Listen? to what the car is telling you, select the right gear, feel the grip, balance the steering and throttle, and round you go. Quickly, with no drama, and with that wonderful spread of torque hurling you out the other side with gorgeous sound track to boot. My brother\'s LS Estate of the same vintage is like a teaspoon in yoghurt in comparison. Whether or not because of the extra mass hung out over the back compared to saloon and hatch GSis, it managed the trick of very \'pointy\' direct steering, with a surprisingly neutral stance. The Plod Spec brakes are phenomenal, too, and to steal someone else?s phrase, shed speed like a cloak. Actually, to steal another phrase whilst I?m at it, Top Gear magazine said of the facelift GSi ?You can?t polish a (smelly brown object of three letters beginning with ?p? and ending in ?o?), but you can give it a damned good buffing!? Made me smile at the time, and since.

Yes the Boy Racer brigade have taken to GSi models where I live, too. As a ?mature? nearly-forty-year-old, I chose the car primarily for everyday fun, to ignore everyone who told me to be a lemming and buy something Teutonic, and because of intergalactic jaunts to the Czech Republic to SWMBO\'s parents with a boot load of gear. As an effortless, refined, Autobahn stormer, it made me realise how little opportunity I got to realise these talents when in the UK! It is a vastly underrated machine, and mine never used a drop of oil, let me down, or was subject to poor quality Vauxhall servicing (I found a great garage).

It is sadly missed, and I hope the replacement V70 2.4T with lowered sports chassis option proves as capable as it?s vastly higher fit & finish (and price) indicates. I know that Volvo have worked hard to gain a ?younger? image, and as a biker myself, know that an element of former reputation still remains, but think I am safe that they will never catch on in the Tesco?s car park midnight burnout scene as the next generation GSi! Phew! ;-)

Hi Ben,

So, the question is, "Were you at Newcastle or Blackbushe in the end?"

Many thanks!
For Ben Chapman - Gazza
I'll be down at BlackBushe on Wednesday. I'll try to catch the price and post it here.
Cheers!
Unfortunately i was in newcastle bidding for cars, but ended up going home on foot. Sorry. I asked around, but i couldnt find anyone going that friday.
Hi Gazza.

Any joy, please?
If not, no worries.
It would have been nice to know, but the world goes on!

Cheers.
For Ben Chapman - volvoman
Hi SJB - my other half is from the Slovak Republic and I've often wondered about driving there for a holiday with her and the kids but it seems a bit daunting. Which part of the CR do you travel to, how long does it take and what do you think about
the journey overall ?

Regards.