Dacia Logan - Tyre pressure warning light - WE Johns

My new car's odometer reached 998km and a warning light came on. I pulled over and checked the handbook. It said 'get to a main dealer ASAP'. Fortunately I was quite close to one.

On more detailed reading of the warning light(s) it seemed to be a tyre pressure problem. I've just put on my new winter tyres and wheels. "Oh," says Mr. Garage Man "That'll be because you haven't got electronic tyre valves. "So how much to get the warning lights reset?" "Oh, you'll need a set of electronic valves!"

The rims and tyres are brand new Michelins (but not bought through them) and the right size for the car, and the pressures are fine, but there doesn't seem to be any way to reset the pressure warning light myself.

Is he right that the only thing I can do is get electronic valves fitted? If so, is this only a main dealer job, and how much would you expect to pay for this?

Thanks.

Edited by WE Johns on 09/11/2015 at 18:09

Dacia Logan - Tyre pressure warning light - elekie&a/c doctor

If there are sensors in the original wheels,then you are going to need sensors in the new wheels for the tpms system to operate.4 sensors (about £40 each)plus fitting and calibration. I am sure that this job can be done outside the dealer network,but you will need to find somebody with the correct diagnostic equipt.If you can live with the light on,then perhaps don't bother.

Dacia Logan - Tyre pressure warning light - skidpan

Yes he correct but he has not mentioned the facts that using a new car without TPMS valves fitted is illegal and probably invalidates your insurance.

The valves can be very expensive especially if you get them from a main dealer, I have seen figures as high as £450 for 4 fitted and calibrated.

Good news is buy them form a 3rd party such as TPMSwarehouse www.tpmswarehouse.co.uk/index.php?route=product/se.../ and they will be much cheaper, probably need calibrating after.

Bad news is the wheels that can be fitted with TPMS valves maybe different from those intended for standard valves, that could mean you have 4 useless wheels.

More bad news is very few tyre fitters are willing to handle TPMS valves so you could struggle to get them fitted even if you can buy them and the wheels are compatible.

Recently I bought a set of 4 wheels fitted with Nokian winter tyres and TPMS valves for our new Nissan Note. No hassle, worked just as before and cost about £400 all in delivered. No programming needed since they matched OEM.

Dacia Logan - Tyre pressure warning light - KenC

I have a feeling that "certain" tyre pressure monitoring systems will in time become an expensive "nuisance" to owners of the older vehicle.

At the moment everything is hunkey dorey because they systems are on the newer vehicles that DO NOT require and mot test and are still under a guarantee BUT (and here is the very bad news ) when your vehicle is 3 years old the TPMS falls within the mot test so ignoring the warning light on the dashboard will equal an mot failure.

TPMS is now part of the annual vehicle test, and applies to all newly registered cars from January 1st 2012. A car with a faulty TPMS will fail the vehicle test from January 2015

The fact that many tyre fitters will not get invplved in swapping over the valve sensors confirms to me that they are steering clear of problems.

My advice to any new car purchaser or the purchaser of a car registered after 1st January 2012 (or a new car) is to thoroughly research the potential future cost of replacing or re calibrating these wheel valve sensors at every tyre change.

The cost of which could in some cases potentially DOUBLE the price of a tyre.

Edited by KenC on 11/11/2015 at 10:15

Dacia Logan - Tyre pressure warning light - Brit_in_Germany

>I have a feeling that "certain" tyre pressure monitoring systems will in time become an expensive "nuisance" to owners of the older vehicle.

They already are - some of the aluminium valve stems are known to corrode and fracture, leading to sudden total loss of pressure.

Dacia Logan - Tyre pressure warning light - madf

>I have a feeling that "certain" tyre pressure monitoring systems will in time become an expensive "nuisance" to owners of the older vehicle.

They already are - some of the aluminium valve stems are known to corrode and fracture, leading to sudden total loss of pressure.

I activel research cars before buying s/h.

The tales of Lexus TPMS failures - and the cost to replace - made me decide never to buy a used Lexus with TPMS..

Aluminium + salt spray = instant corrosion.

Dacia Logan - Tyre pressure warning light - EddieB

Have just bought 2 wheels and winter tyres for my Logan from Mytyres.com.

They fitted the tyres with TPM's for about £20 each.When I fitted the wheels to the car and test drove it,the warning light came on.If you look in your handbook it tells you how to reset the TPM warning light using the button on the end of the wiper stalk.

Dacia Logan - Tyre pressure warning light - skidpan

Have just bought 2 wheels and winter tyres for my Logan from Mytyres.com.

You should only fit winter tyres in sets of 4. Fitting them in pairs will unbalance the handling and should you be involved in an accident it is unlikely your insurers will pay for any damage to your car.

This what HJ says about it:

www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/caradvice/honestjohn/...l

Buy another pair before fitting the ones you have just bought.