Volkswagen Golf VII Match DSG 1.6Tdi - Default Service interval on a brand new Golf MK7 - dangermouse501

I purchased a Golf last Sunday that is 10 months old with 500 miles on the clock. I inquired with the dealer (not a VW dealer) when I was collecting it, as to whether the service was due at 1 year. They said that they contacted VW who said it was on a long life 20K service so it would not need a service.

I am suspicious that the dealer has simply reset the service interval counter back to the start as I had previously mentioned on the phone that I would like it serviced before purchasing. I find it highly unlikely that the previous owner (disabled) would buy a brand new car and knowing they do a low mileage would ask for it to be set on a long life.

So my questions are:-

1. Does anybody know what the default service interval setup to on a brand new Golf MK7 Match DSG is ? I'm not sure if customers have a chooice on a new car do they ?

2. Is it possible to find out the date the counter was reset ?

3. If it turned out that this dealer had in fact reset the counter to decieve me, then potentially I assume I could break the engine (I do 30K per year) as it would not be on a long life oil. Is that the case ?

4. Is the dealer breaking the law by doing this ? Could it be regarded as fraud or criminal damage (if it broke) or some similar terminology ?

Ultimately, if I can't find out the truth then I will get it serviced anyway at 12 months.

Volkswagen Golf VII Match DSG 1.6Tdi - Default Service interval on a brand new Golf MK7 - sharky7866

Hi there,

Most new cars especially VW's and Merc's have longlife service, so in essence if it's done 500 miles within the year technically its good for the remainder 15k for the next year. I believe its 20k or 2 years before oil change. If this was me purchasing, i would insist on a oil and oil filter change simply due to the fact that 500 miles over a year is way low. This car must have been like a ornament in the garden and that can't be good for the engine oil!!!

As far as reset goes i belive if you have VCD's you might be able to check via the computer or why not go down to VW dealership and ask them to plug it into there system and see if it was changed from fixed to longlife? Either way why would the first owner buy a diesel knowing they was going to do low miles? They may have opted for long life knowing they was doing less miles to avoid paying for next service? These services are not cheap from VW! So i very much doubt the place you purchased from is fruadulent. One more thing if you do 30k in 1 year your going to need to service it anyway when it hits 20k so no chance of breaking engine. Alternitively why not read your manual im pretty sure it explains everything there, especially if your under warranty!

Edited by sharky7866 on 05/11/2015 at 01:25

Volkswagen Golf VII Match DSG 1.6Tdi - Default Service interval on a brand new Golf MK7 - Railroad.

Or you could do what any sensible person would do, and that is take no notice whatsoever of what the service indicator says. Just keep it reset and have your car serviced properly and regularly with engine oil and filter changes at least once per year, regardless of mileage with the service book stamped by a reputable garage to maintain saleability. No engine was ever harmed by running in clean oil, with clean fuel and clean air.

The manufacturer designed and built your car, but that's where his association with it ends. From there on he has no idea what you do with it, how you drive it, where you drive it, in what climate you drive it and what fuel you put in it, and nor does he really care. So that hardly qualifies him to tell you how best and when to service it. The service indicator is little more than an idiots guide.

So the choice is yours. You've spent a lot of money on a car. Either look after it, and know it's looked after, or subscribe to the sales pitch which many people fall for.

Volkswagen Golf VII Match DSG 1.6Tdi - Default Service interval on a brand new Golf MK7 - elekie&a/c doctor

As above,advice is 100% good.I would be more worried at the condition of the dpf exhaust system with so few miles and such short journeys.

Volkswagen Golf VII Match DSG 1.6Tdi - Default Service interval on a brand new Golf MK7 - slkfanboy

Was the car on the mobility scheme if the previous owner was disabled?Normally on the scheme the cars are kept for 3yrs with servicing included. Owner would not get the option to choose service plan.

Seems odd then car is only 10months old!