Volkswagen Jetta 1.6tdi (2010) - Intermittent non starting issue - magills

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this very frustrating problem. I am not very mechanical munded so hopefully what i write makes some sense.

My Jetta will start with no problems first thing in the morning. After i finish work it will also start again with no problems.

However when i get home and go to use the car again anywhere between an hour or two it wont start. (I must also add if i went to drive it less than an hour since last using it, it will start). All of the dash board lights come on as if its working but when i turn the key there is absolutely nothing at all. If i get a push it will start in gear, likewise if i am on a hill it will start in gear.

I have replaced the starter motor and also the clutch switch (and cylinder part that comes with it). The reason i replaced the clutch switch is that i have to press the clutch pedal when starting the car and when it wasnt starting the word CLUTCH was flashing on the dash, as if i wasnt pressing it. But this did not solve it.

I took it to an auto electrics mechanic who said that the car started every time he tried it. He said the battery, starter and alternator were all fine. The diagnostics test did not show any fault that would relate to a non start issue.

At the weekend and when i would use it more frequent during the day i find that it will happen again on the 3rd or 4th time i would go to use the car. However there doesnt seem to be any real pattern that its following. Its driving me nuts and i really dont want to pay the VW dealer £72 an hour to look at it and tell me what i already know.

I thank anyone in advance that may have had or know of a similar problem and can give me some advice.

Volkswagen Jetta 1.6tdi (2010) - Intermittent non starting issue - hardway

Starter motor relay on these is controlled by the MULTI FUNCTION CONTROL MODULE via relay K4,

so find relay K4 remove it and short jump terminals 1 and two,

this should power the starter motor solenoid and spin the engine over.

Doing this bypasses the MFC Module and any possible faults in it.

This is just an isolation test and not a repair soulution.

Relay terminal 3 should go battery voltage when the key is turned to the crank position.

Terminal 4 is constant ground.

Thanks for the reply.

Another thing I have noticed is that after the car is pushed or rolled to start (in gear), the gear indicator that goes up according to the revs is not working for between 5 and 10mins of driving. Do you know if this has any relevance to my problem?

Volkswagen Jetta 1.6tdi (2010) - Intermittent non starting issue - elekie&a/c doctor
The start/crank circuit on these is a complicated system with various sensors that provide info to the engine control system .there are sensors on the clutch system and also a gear selection module in the gearbox.This could be related to your problem.
The start/crank circuit on these is a complicated system with various sensors that provide info to the engine control system .there are sensors on the clutch system and also a gear selection module in the gearbox.This could be related to your problem.

Thanks very much. I will get a look in to that. The thing is driving me nuts due to me not being able to rely on it for anything.

New Ignition switch fitted today and the problem is still there.

Volkswagen Jetta 1.6tdi (2010) - Intermittent non starting issue - elekie&a/c doctor
How much money have you thrown at this for a non fix?I would get a professional to monitor the system during the non start condition to see if the fault can be identified.
Volkswagen Jetta 1.6tdi (2010) - Intermittent non starting issue - Atlascord
Hi, did you ever find the reason behind the problem? I have a 2012 caddy with the exact same problem.