BMW 320i - Used BMW 320i. What to watch out for? - Coroare

Hi guys,

This is my first time buying a used car. I saw this pretty good example of a 1991 (J Reg) BMW 320i Sport Automatic. It has 12 months MOT and a full service history. The price seems good, and I'm going to test drive it at the weekend.

Problem is, I'm not 100% sure what to look out for! Hiring out a mechanic to look it over would be half the cost of the car itself.

If any of you have any experience with this era/model of BMW, I'd really appreciate any advice you could give a newbie.

Thanks,

Fred

Edited by Coroare on 08/10/2015 at 17:10

BMW 320i - Used BMW 320i. What to watch out for? - RobJP

It's a 24 year old car. Yes, nearly a quarter of a century.

The list of possible faults, areas that might be rusty, etc. mean that this should be bought for banger money (£500 or less), in which case an inspection doesn't matter, as it is so cheap.

If it drives and you like it, and all the paperwork is in order, and it is dead cheap, then buy it. But be aware that if a serious fault occurs then it's heading for the scrappers.

Edited by RobJP on 08/10/2015 at 17:35

BMW 320i - Used BMW 320i. What to watch out for? - elekie&a/c doctor

Is this an E30 or E36 model.?

E36

Cheers Rob, that's pretty much what I was after. He's asking £500 on the nose, and I'll find out if it drives on Saturday. What are the danger zones for rust?

These are mechanically pretty sound.Engine should be smooth as silk with no top end clatter.Underneath,the usual problems are with suspension bushes,especially the ones at the rear,just below the rear doors.Make sure everything works.The electric window regulators often self destruct and the glass falls into the door.Interior trims were not up to much,with door cards adrift.Apart from body rust around wheel arches and front of wings ,near headlights,make sure it is sound underneath near suspension mount points and also check for rusty brake pipes.A good one of these is a surprisingly good drive.

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 08/10/2015 at 19:50

Thanks for the reply. Do you think it's a reliable contender for a day-to-day car? I'll be mainly doing motorway miles 1-4 times a week, with almost no city driving.

I can't afford to keep spunking money into it every other week, but I was under the impression these beasts were built to last! Do you think these cars are more for BMW fanatics who can afford the upkeep?

Don't see why not.There are plenty still out there in use.Only issue would be underbody condition/corrosion.Fuel consumption may also be an issue.As previosly mentioned,this is banger money territory.You could be lucky.A £500 focus might be a better deal,with plenty of s/hand parts available.

BMW 320i - Used BMW 320i. What to watch out for? - Benedict56
Hi,

I've been offered the base model. No rear camera, no navigation, nothing fancy on 36 months,

In Seattle

$2500 upfront
$391/month.
10k miles.
Negotiated car price $33250.
Residual price $22,500

Do you think this is a good deal? I think I should put $1500 upfront at this monthly rate/put down $1500 and ask for $391