VW Golf SV DSG - Jerks forward on starting - Wanderer25

When the accelerator is pressed however gently the car jerks forward, both from when the engine is running or when the stop-start starts the engine. A diagnostic test says there is nothing wrong, but what is the cause?

VW Golf SV DSG - Jerks forward on starting - RobJP

Sounds like a fault in the DSG gearbox or the clutches for the gearbox.

Was it subject to the recall, and was it carried out ?

Has the gearbox oil been changed ? How old is the car ?

VW Golf SV DSG - Jerks forward on starting - daveyjp

Sounds very much like the beginnings of the mechatronic unit failing - basically the part in the gearbox which acts as the equivalent of a left leg to engage the clutch on a manual.

If you release your left leg too quickly a manual car will jump forwards - mechatronic unit is doing similar and from my experience of a similar problem in an A3 it will get worse.

If VW say it is 'normal' ask for a drive in another DSG car and see if it does the same!

Thanks daveyjp I will go back to the garage with this info so they will not fob me off again.

VW Golf SV DSG - Jerks forward on starting - medview

Hi

The DSG clutch operation is delayed from the release of the brake pedal so that if the engine revs are raised during this delay a jerky takeoff occurs.

Try waiting a second from release of the brake pedal and you will feel the clutch operate and the engine revs rise slightly. Applying the accelerator at this time makes the takeoff smooth.

Joe

Hi Joe

The car is stop start so the brake is released when the accelerator is pressed

and an immediate jerk forward results. Even if engine does not stop as happens if I come to a gentle stop the brake goes on automatically and the jerk still happens as I start again.

VW Golf SV DSG - Jerks forward on starting - skidpan

Why not apply the handbrake.

Hi skidpan

There is on handbrake on the stop/start system.

VW Golf SV DSG - Jerks forward on starting - skidpan

On our 3rd car with stop/start but all manuals. None have had handbrakes as part of the system, you just apply it as normal. But they do have hills start assist, you don't mean that do you? Totally different system.

VW Golf SV DSG - Jerks forward on starting - medview

Hi

There's no conventional handbrake on the MK7 golf, and I'm assuming that yours is a MK7?

Are you sure that you need to press the accelerator to get moving, on my MK6 DSG simply lifting off the foot brake enables the car to creep off after a delay.

Start/stop should start the engine with foot brake release, agreed?

Hill hold releases with accelerator or after a 3 second timeout and I didn't think that hill hold operated on flat ground.

Joe

Hi Joe

The MK7 DSG must be different than the MK6 as the brake goes on when you stop and you can lift your foot off the brake pedal the brake stays on.

Only when you press the accelerator does the brake release,

and the car moves forward, or jerks in my case.

VW Golf SV DSG - Jerks forward on starting - Avant

"A diagnostic test says there is nothing wrong, but what is the cause?"

Never mind the stupid computer. Get a mechanic to go out in the car with you and see if he thinks it's normal. If this is the dry-clutch type of DSG, there have been stories of jerky progress.