Jaguar x-type 2004 2.0d - Dangerous advancing idle problem - woody9779
My Jag (with Ford engine) has a frustrating and dangerous problem.

Noticeably more in cold weather-
The idle speed increases when the car is in motion, getting up to 1500 rpm - which when in 5th means acceleration with no input from me!

With the cluth depressed it drops to about 1000, and when the car actually is stopped returns to the correct 800 (with occassional surging)

I have had the local garage hook it up to diagnostics but the car is clean with no codes at all.

I cleaned the EGR valve myself and that made no difference. I would say the problem is worsening.

Could this be a sensor?

I know this has been asked before but has anyone had the same problem or found the solution?

Any help Gratefully received!
Jaguar x-type 2004 2.0d - Dangerous advancing idle problem - injection doc
Vehicles are fitted with anti -stall
Driving in 5th at 1500 rpm is no good for the vehicle, emissions and dual mass flywheel.
I would always expect to keep the engine rpm in the 1600+ range to 2400. Peak torque is at 1900 rpm on these vehicles.
If you drop it out of gear whilst driving it should idle at a higher speed and drop back to idle as you stop. This is ECU controlled and picks up the information from the speed sensor signal.
You may also notice that the idle speed increase when reverse gear is selected.
My X types used to feel like they were driving on their own if you drove to slowly in too higher gear.
Jaguar x-type 2004 2.0d - Dangerous advancing idle problem - Railroad.

I have a new Skoda Octavia 1.6 TDi. It clearly isn't happy doing 30mph in top gear, and although I don't normally take notice of it, the recommended gear display on the dash is telling me to change down.

Jaguar x-type 2004 2.0d - Dangerous advancing idle problem - Cyd

try a half can of Wynns Professional Turbo Cleaner to give the inlet tract and compressor side a good clean out. It worked wonders for me on a PSA HDi. I got mine from GSFs eBay shop.

the turbo breathes in the crankcase gases and gets bunged up in the compressor side. Enough carp and the turbine blades start to run in it slowing the turbo down. The car then jacks the throttle open to try and compensate atidle.

Also as mentioned, try not to allow the engine to go too slow in high gears. Mine is a turbo Petrol, but I make it a point to change down if revs drop below 2000. this equates to 60 in 6th. It's very difficult to tell when it's labouring because it is so smooth, but labouring in high gear will be the death of your big ends.