Ford Focus Titanium Estate Td 109 (2008) - DPF Fault - wiganerr

In May, following a major loss of power, my Ford dealer diagnosed low fuel pressure & replaced the fuel filter. The problem occurred again in July & they replaced the turbo. This week the engine malfunction warning light appeared with another reduction in power. Now the dealer says I need a new DPF & sensor. Might the DPF/sensor have been the problem all along & I didn't need a new turbo? Is this the type of problem that's difficult to accurately diagnose, or could all these different parts have become separately faulty in a short space of time, or might the garage not be doing a very good job? Once this problem occurs in this model is it likely to keep recurring, or is it fixable? Mileage 100,000.

Ford Focus Titanium Estate Td 109 (2008) - DPF Fault - craig-pd130

It's hard to say if the DPF was the problem all along, although after 7 years and 100,000 miles it will almost certainly be approaching the end of its useful life because of the accumulated ash that can't be burnt off.

Once it's replaced it shouldn't need doing again for another several years.

Ford Focus Titanium Estate Td 109 (2008) - DPF Fault - skidpan

That model uses EOLYS to help regenerate the DPF. According to Fords schedule the tank requires a top up every 37,000 miles and a new DPF every 75,000 miles. Its why we did not replace our 2005 Focus with no DPF with a 2010 one with DPF and EOLYS.

Has the EOLYS been topped up, if not it will have allowed the DPF block irreperably.

But at that mileage the DPF is probably at the end of its life anyway.