BMW 1 Series - Other party offering to pay for repairs - stivvy

Parents of young driver have asked to pay directly for repairs to my daughter's car avoiding making claim on their insurance. This was a bump into her parked car with modest damage. What are the pros and cons please of accepting this proposal.

BMW 1 Series - Other party offering to pay for repairs - RobJP

If they're paying on their insurance, then there is no benefit to your daughter at all. After all ,they'll be telling their insurance what has happened, which means that the incident will be recorded, and your daughter will have to tell her insurance that the incident happened (as per terms of the insurance, failure to tell is fraud). In which case her premiums will still rise next year, whether or not she makes a claim, whether or not the car was parked and the other party was at fault.

The only way in which she is better off is if they pay for it DIRECTLY. No claim involved on their insurance. Of course, she still should inform her insurance of this fact (which would push up her premiums), but it's entirely understandable if she 'forgets' to do so.

If it was my child, I'd 'encourage' the other party to pay without speaking to their insurance at all. Though that depends on the damage to their car, of course. If a claim has to be made (by either party), then your daughter also needs to make a claim, ensuring that she also claims for any increase in premiums in future years : her insurance co. should be able to help with this risk pricing increase.

BMW 1 Series - Other party offering to pay for repairs - FP

Regardless of who pays, both insurers must be informed. The other people may not realise that.

What would normally happen is that each driver claims on their own insurance. If one driver is clearly solely responsible, they may find the other party's insurance wants to claw back their losses.

There seems to me no advantage to you in avoiding using your insurance. You might think the other driver deserves to have his premiums hiked, anyway. He's got to learn not to hit parked cars!

If you feel sorry for him and by-pass insurance, you need confirmation in writing that the other party will pay and might still be faced with a change of heart somewhere down the line, for example when they find out exactly how much it will cost. Perhaps get a quote first and don't forget to include the cost of your excess.

Using your insurance is the "least hassle" route, though you may have to press to recover your excess.

BMW 1 Series - Other party offering to pay for repairs - gordonbennet

Whether i would go down this route would depend on my gut feelings of the other party involved, eg if it waddles and quacks it's a duck, but if the party is honourable, and you can only judge that by what you've seen and heard, then i would carefully be prepared to help out.

As a general comment, how quickly we've moved away from trying to help one another out by mitigating ones costs (does it have to be advantageous?), quick get the all seeing database filled in, you absolutely must you know, inform the collective mummy, full endorsement of the growing nanny state...

..carry on like this we might one day find ourselves volunteering for a British east german utopia with ever increasing surveillance...er hang on a mo

BMW 1 Series - Other party offering to pay for repairs - bazza

Couldnt agree more GB, it's a slippery slope isnt it.

BMW 1 Series - Other party offering to pay for repairs - MrDanno

I agree GB, it has all got a bit stupid these days.

BMW 1 Series - Other party offering to pay for repairs - pd

If your daughter makes a claim through her insurance I bet it'll go up next year regardless of "no fault" and she may lose her no claims bonus whilst it is sorted out as well.

Personally, if it is just a scuff or something, and the other party seem decent enough I'd try for it that way and only go insurance if it all goes wrong for some reason.

BMW 1 Series - Other party offering to pay for repairs - skidpan

In the past myself and the wife have had 3 minor accidents where the 3rd party has offered to pay without going via the insurance.

An all instances I have reported the accidents to our insurers pointing out to them that at this time there is no claim as the 3rd party wishes to pay direct but at the same time pointing out that should the 3rd party reverse their wish a claim would be started.

In all cases the 3rd parties have done as they indicated, 2 paid cash up front (private individuals) and the other (company vehicle) paid the mutually agreed repairers directly.

In all instances the following year there was no increase to our premiums and when quotes were obtained from alternative insurers (as I do every couple of years) they were accepted as "no fault" accidents with no effect on the premium.

Just make sure you get a thorough quote for the work before accepting cash. There can be hidden damage and its doubtful if the 3rd party would dip into thier pocket a 2nd time.

You were lucky Skidpan, when a council truck reversed into my car that was stationary my policy increased the following year even though the council took full responsibility. I can still remember the abrupt tone of the insurance employees voice when I questioned the increase.

BMW 1 Series - Other party offering to pay for repairs - skidpan

Not lucky at all. 3 incidents, 3 different insurers. Never a single £ of loading.

Its all down to being clear with your insurers.

If you don't make a claim they cannot increase your premium (other than for the usual accross the board premium increases). If they do move elsewhere and just be upfront that you have not claimed when others have paid.

A couple of years ago my 85 year old dad an a accident, all his own fault, no arguement. £1200 of damage and when his renewal arrived it was actually cheaper.

So much for increased premiums.

BMW 1 Series - Other party offering to pay for repairs - stivvy

Latest update is that the other party has paid for repair directly to the bodyshop, low hundreds thankfully. The concern now is that daughter has been told to expect an increase in her renewal even though it was a "no fault" incident and she did the correct thing and informed her insurer. Thanks for all the advice.

That is exactly what happened to me Stivvy. The council paid for the car to be repaired directly without any quibble.

I called my insurance company and was VERY clear that I was not claiming and just informing them of the incident as per t&c's. Then some months later at renewal time the price shot up.

When I called them to question it, I was told in a very clear and abrupt tone that in their opinion me and my car were now more of a risk as the car had been "in an accident" regardless that it was stationary at the time of being hit.

A few years ago my parents were re-insuring my mothers car by phone and the man questioned why my father was not on the policy, he then told my father to wait a minute. This was then followed by the fact that it was going to be cheaper to have my father on the policy as a second named driver. To me that should be more of a risk as the car is more likely to be used with more drivers. It does not make sense to me.

BMW 1 Series - Other party offering to pay for repairs - Avant

"When I called them to question it, I was told in a very clear and abrupt tone that in their opinion me and my car were now more of a risk as the car had been "in an accident" regardless that it was stationary at the time of being hit."

I hope that insurer lost your business. That decision was clearly made by a computer, and computers shouldn't be used to make decisions, only at best to guide decisions made by human beings.

BMW 1 Series - Other party offering to pay for repairs - Manatee

If their data show that insureds who have had a "no fault" accident are i fact more likely to have another in the next policy year, then they would be justified in putting up the premium by a relevant, proportionate amount.

That said - my boon companion had an "at fault" accident last November - she ran into the back of another car at a roundabout. The premium has only gone up £30, and £20 on each of the two other cars she is a named driver on. Very fair I thought. That was with LV.

So it might not be as bad as feared.

BMW 1 Series - Other party offering to pay for repairs - RT

Insurance companies assessment of risk is generally accurate but perverse - my son lives a few streets away so a different post code but the claims records of our neighbours affects our premiums differently